tips and tricks for chain lubing

any of u experts got some ideas when chain lubing to avoid getting the lube sprayed all over the wheel and sidewall of the tire? I normally hold a rag under the chain while spraying the lube, but still manage most of the time to get it all over my rim. Yes i spray it on pretty heavy sometimes, but using the dupont i like to spray it thick to kind of wash the chain off while lubing

Long as you don't run the engine to spin the wheel. Graphic pics from the gixers...

How NOT to clean your chain. **GRAPHIC PICS*** : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

I just hold a rag cupped in my hand under and around the back side of the chain and do about 5 to 6 links at a time while my wife spins the back wheel slowly, I dont not get any lube any where besides the chain at all, I hate the site of lube anywhere else. Plus it gives us some family time together.

Long as you don't run the engine to spin the wheel. Graphic pics from the gixers...

How NOT to clean your chain. **GRAPHIC PICS*** : Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums: Gixxer.com

holy cow!!! The pics said graphic but i had no idea, just about got sick looking at that, i'm not very good with blood. I did do that once to the busa (clean chain with the engine running) after i had a few too many drinks one night and was tinkering on the bike. Woke up the next morning and couldn't believe what i did!! The rag catches just once on the chain with it running and bye bye fingers, will never even think about trying that again:banghead:

Not sure if you're getting lube in the o-rings that way?
More like cleaning the outside of the chain?

No actually the cleaning is done with kerosene prior to oiling, I believe the residual kerosene within the links allows the lubricant to work into the links & o-rings. Chain is cleaned and freshly lubed after each ride therefore o-rings never actually become unlubricated.

the easiest way is to spray the chain at the rear sprocket, ptfe spray then is ensured it run down between the links, do it both sides and the spray will not hit yor sidewall.

after 20000 miles my gen1 chain was still mint when i sold my bike

No actually the cleaning is done with kerosene prior to oiling, I believe the residual kerosene within the links allows the lubricant to work into the links & o-rings. Chain is cleaned and freshly lubed after each ride therefore o-rings never actually become unlubricated.

Gotcha!

:thumbsup:

Hi, First post here to start.

I just purchased my new left over 2009 blu&Wht model Busa.
I use a general spray bottle you can buy from dollar general
fill it with kerosene and lift the bike on a stand.
I spin the rear wheel reverse as I use the stream pattern and
spray is on the inner parts of the links where the seals and pins are
I will do this about 2 full rotations and use half a bottle of kerosene
I then let is soak for about 5 minutes and take a tooth brush and rub
the top part of the links as they go over the sproket.
I then will repeat the first step using the rest of the half bottle of
kerosene to rinse the grit from the chain.
Now that I am sure the grit is all removed I will then use a terry cloth
towel and wipe the complete chain down as I rotate the back tire
of course using different areas of the cloth and possibly a 2nd.
The chain will now look brand new gold! It will spin freely much of a difference
then when first started.
I then use the Dupont Wax Grease in the can with the straw on the end.
I will then hold the straw close to where the seals on and pins are on the chain
spraying each inner side of EVERY link connection. The key here is not to go balls to the walls on the spray press lightly so it comes out in a minor amount rather then a gushing fire hose!!
Once every link is sprayed I will then all it to dry about 35 minutes. Then I will take a cotton cloth and just clean the outter parts of the links.
Yes, sounds anal, but its done right.

Ooops I forgot to add, I will then use 99.9% Isaproplyn alcohol and a towel to wipe any spray from the tire.

Thanks for the extra tips on this!! I think I am ready now . . .

Bike ride 6-6-11 017.jpg

Bike ride 6-6-11 017.jpg

Back