Need mustang advice - 2001 Roush 02 2007 GT?

I'd go for the 07 and skip the Roush.

Lemme rationalize why: I prefer the new bodystyle over the older one and more stock hp. I really like the body kits on the Roush but fact is, the new GT looks awesome. So much so I bought one.

Now, if you could get an 07 Roush, that'd be the ticket (in more ways than 1).

This :thumbsup:

I didn't read the "or an 07" part. Definitely the 07.

Looks like I will be picking up the Roush in a few hours

To be honest we took the 2006 for a test drive and just didnt like it.

They look nice from the outside, but inside everything kind of looks like cheap plastic and the thing didnt seem to have any ball$

The Roush is a V8 (didnt realize that) so it has plenty of nads.

And everything is already setup the way he wanted. (in board strereo with pop out touch screen, roll cage, convertable, etc)

And on top of everything else, this is what kind of sinched it for me.

I call up my regular mechanic, who also goes to my church and I ask him:

"so, I am thinking about buying a 2001 Roush"

And he says "Ford Mustang"

I said "yes, 2001 Ford Mustang GT"

Then he proceeds to tell me where it is located and that the owner of the place already brought the car by for him to look at because they have been freinds for a long time and they used to race together.

He told me he looked the car over thouroughly and he said it has been taken care of very well and that it was a good deal.

So yeah, picking her up in a few hours :thumbsup:

After we get it detailed I will take pics of it with my son and his huge ear to ear grin :laugh:

Thanks for all the input :beerchug:

Enjoy the permagrin my brother :laugh: Hey and let the 17 year old drive it once in a while :whistle:

Enjoy the permagrin my brother :laugh: Hey and let the 17 year old drive it once in a while :whistle:

Bwaha ha ha..

Yeah no kidding. I just called the wife up to let her know I am buying it and her first comment was "I am driving it home, you already got to test drive it yesterday"

:banghead:

Congrats! What tires are you going to be running? I wanna buy stock in that company :)

Nice yeah you really don't lose either way especially since the 01 is already set up. when do we get to see the photos ( or video ) lol :cheerleader::thumbsup:

Like I said, a normal 17 year old I probably would not conisder it. But my son is.. well for lack of a better word, awesome.

I think a big part of the trust is he and I lift weights together on a daily basis. I am dad first, but I would consider him my friend also, and he feels the same about me and we can and do talk about everything. he has proven to me in the past that he seeks my guidence and 9 times out of 10 follows my advice (yeah I know, odd for a 17 year old, but that is why I trust him)

And I would not consider it for his first car, but he has been driving my 91 camaro for almost a year now with no incidents and I live in a small town and I often get feed back on his driving habits from friends, and never a bad feedback.

ONLY on your positive words about him...would I hesitantly say go with the Roush. You know the Roush comes with more than just cosmetics.:cheerleader:I trust your judgement here. It IS older but sounds like one of those few and far between deals you hate to pass up. (owned by old lady). From my perspective it sounds like he deserves it! IF my son grows up to be as responsible as yours.....I'll be quick to reward him for it!:beerchug: He's only 7 but does crunches and pushups with me:thumbsup:

Congrats! What tires are you going to be running? I wanna buy stock in that company :)

LOL..

Funny you should mention that (or not funny however you look at it)

Talking with the sales person as we were doing the paper work, he points out to me the traction button. Says if you push it all kinds of warning lights light up and you can burn the tires off the rims.

While I trust my son, I think as a father I still need to find a way to disable the button so the traction control cannot be disabled :banghead:

If it is not raining I plan on snapping some pics tomorrow.

The wife took off in it right now to "go to the store" :banghead:

We took it by my sons work (he works at sub way) he just had a grin on his face as me, the wife and his two brothers piled out of it.

We get in the place and he smiles and say "so, you going to take it out for a few hours" lol..

Then some girl that works with him took a look at the car, looked at my son and expressed her hatred for him and hit him I think :laugh:

BTW, not trying to brag, but wanted to give an example of why I trust my son.

We were driving the other day and he says to me

"dad, when I am 18 or 19 and off to college, if me and some friends want to play beer pong will you be ok with it"

And I had a long talk with him about it, just told him if he was with only a few friends, at a friends house and he wasnt going to be driving and only having a few that I wouldnt have a problem with it, as long as he understood the consequences if something were to happen and as long as he made good decisions.

I then asked him what if I said I had a problem with it, and his response was he wouldnt do it.

I know him, he didnt even have to ask me the question, I would never know if he did anything like that, he knows it and I know it. but him asking my permission tells me he would have respected my wishes.

Another example is how when he got his license, he wasnt allowed to let anyone else in the car who was under 21 for a year (unless it was a sibling) he had friends asking him for rides every day at school to go to lunch, and even though it was hard for him to tell his friends no, he never let anyone ride with him. he asked us a few times if he could and we said no and he didnt. even though all of his other friends who were driving were in the same board but they would take their friends in the car knowing they were not supposed to.

It is his decisions and the way he handles situations as above as to why I trust him so much. and since his mom and I trust him greatly and he knows it, he also knows how much he has to lose if he ever screwed that trust up.

BA BUSA knows my family and knows my boys. I think he would probably attest to how they are.

Awesome wife and three cool sons.. couldnt ask for anything more :thumbsup:

If you can afford it, and it sounds like you can, I would go for the 2007. Ford completely redesigned the mustang from front to back. The chassis is much stiffer so the car should develop less creaks and squeaks as it ages.

The 2001 Mustang was based on an old platform. While proven and can be made to work well, it is dated. I don't know if Roush puts subframe connectors on their cars but if they didn't that vert will be wiggly and make funny creaking noises pulling into driveways etc. They are also famous for cowl shake at highway speeds. None of those bad habits are evident on the newer Mustangs.

just seen this post i guess you bought it already, my friend just told me last night he was selling his 2002 roush stage 2 car has 16000 miles on it, sorry didnt see your post sooner

Congrats on the Roush :beerchug:
It's good to have that kind of trust between you and your son. I hope he enjoys that beast..

yeah it's a really good thing oh and the traction button you should be able to unplug it from the back of the button. That should disable that feature.:laugh:

Ok, here are some pics. I will post more probably tomorrow

Dscf2747.jpg

Dscf2748.jpg

Dscf2749.jpg

Dscf2750.jpg

Dscf2751.jpg

Dscf2752.jpg

Dscf2753.jpg

Dscf2755.jpg

nice lookin' ride, lots of power. remind him to be safe. lucky kid. :beerchug:

...BA BUSA knows my family and knows my boys. I think he would probably attest to how they are.

Awesome wife and three cool sons.. couldnt ask for anything more :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Travis is gonna have fun with that car :beerchug:

That's if mom and dad stop driving it long enough to give him the keys :laugh:

I wouldn't give a Mustang anything to a 17-year-old. When my kids get that age they'll be driving the slowest POS on the road.

Back