Things you should know about wd-40

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well folks...having been a fan of WD-40 for use as a chain cleaner/lube for several years now and knowing that in light of it's many highly touted accolades many of us use it as such out there in cyclecyberspace?..I felt compelled to share the following cheers and jeers after more than several years of first hand usage as both a chain lube and/or cleaner..as follows...

"THE CHEERS":

1. So far it has proven to be an extremely good chain cleaner that doesn't seem to harm modern day o-ring style chains.

2. I even liked it as a lube *(provided it was applied often and liberally...as in...re-soaked every 200 miles or so) as it seemed to collect far less sandy road grime than any commercially specific chain lube I've eber bought and tried..a very welcome trait...especially in living sandy corner, south florida.

3. It also displaces water...which is also a welcome trait in here in not so sunny rainy season south florida.

and now?...

"THE JEERS":

1. If you do attempt to use WD-40 exclusively as both a cleaner and a lube?...you must give it frequent and liberal applications...and as such?..much of it will sling off in rapid fashion..(this is also why it collects less road grime build-up)...however...now much of that excessive coating of WD-40 has a way of migrating onto the inner surfaces of your rear wheel...and being that it's also a wonderful glue solvent?...there go your stick on wheel weights...and I shudder to think of what affect losing a 2 ouncer at a buck 80 might have...in two issues...balance annnnnd...ballistics.

2. If you do use WD-40 just as a cleaner?...and then use a true commercially sold o-ring spec chain lube on top of it?...angain the residual light coating of WD-40 left from the cleaning process will prevent your "Doesn't Sling Off" chain lube from ever even establishing initial adherence to the chain..thusly?..it will sling off...like a band-aid on wet skin....leaving you with a REAL LIGHT residual coating of WD-40...not good...not good at all.

and finally?...

3. Well?...I honestly can't think of a 3rd negitive reason outside of referencing you to re-read #'s 1 & 2 above as...that should be enough to gt the point across.

What's "the point" you ask?...well?...good question as...I'm really not certain...but at this point I'm thinking that buying a can of real chain lube might be in order.
laugh.gif

and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bill......... I always enjoy reading your posts, while I find them most informative.

There is also something a little nutty about them...
wink.gif

Good job Jinks!

I clean my chain with suzuki wash and diesel, blow that puppy dry with compressed air, then apply chain wax. Seems to do a good job. I run a chain for 25K before changing it. Every biker should decide at what point he will install a new chain. Running a chain until it fails is courting disaster.

Clean and dry with kerosene, why second guess the Owner's Manual? Dry chain, apply chain wax and you're good to go for about 300 miles.

Well folks...having been a fan of WD-40 for use as a chain cleaner/lube for several years now and knowing that in light of it's many highly touted accolades many of us use it as such out there in cyclecyberspace?..I felt compelled to share the following cheers and jeers after more than several years of first hand usage as both a chain lube and/or cleaner..as follows...

"THE CHEERS":

1. So far it has proven to be an extremely good chain cleaner that doesn't seem to harm modern day o-ring style chains.

2. I even liked it as a lube *(provided it was applied often and liberally...as in...re-soaked every 200 miles or so) as it seemed to collect far less sandy road grime than any commercially specific chain lube I've ever bought and tried..a very welcome trait...especially in living sandy corner, south Florida.

3. It also displaces water...which is also a welcome trait in here in not so sunny rainy season south Florida.

and now?...

"THE JEERS":

1. If you do attempt to use WD-40 exclusively as both a cleaner and a lube?...you must give it frequent and liberal applications...and as such?..much of it will sling off in rapid fashion..(this is also why it collects less road grime build-up)...however...now much of that excessive coating of WD-40 has a way of migrating onto the inner surfaces of your rear wheel...and being that it's also a wonderful glue solvent?...there go your stick on wheel weights...and I shudder to think of what affect losing a 2 ounce at a buck 80 might have...in two issues...balance and...ballistics.

2. If you do use WD-40 just as a cleaner?...and then use a true commercially sold o-ring spec chain lube on top of it?...again the residual light coating of WD-40 left from the cleaning process will prevent your "Doesn't Sling Off" chain lube from ever even establishing initial adherence to the chain..thus?..it will sling off...like a band-aid on wet skin....leaving you with a REAL LIGHT residual coating of WD-40...not good...not good at all.

and finally?...

3. Well?...I honestly can't think of a 3rd negative reason outside of referencing you to re-read #'s 1 & 2 above as...that should be enough to gt the point across.

What's "the point" you ask?...well?...good question as...I'm really not certain...but at this point I'm thinking that buying a can of real chain lube might be in order.
laugh.gif

and...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
You can clean your chain with WD40...then take the bike for a quick spin to heat the chain back up...apply your chain wax and your good to go for your next ride
wink.gif

All chain lubes and waxes have oils and or solvents in them....kerosene has been used for a long time as a chain cleaner and it too leaves a oily residue....the important part of the whole process is to let the chain wax or oil "set up" before your next ride
biggrin.gif

I just bought some biodgradable chain cleaner that comes with a 3 sided grunge brush. You clean your chain, then rinse it off with water, dry it, then lube it. I haven't used it yet but will let you guys know how it works. I use to use the PJ1 but now I have a can of Castrol synthetic chain wax. It seems to hold on better then the PJ1 lube.

You can clean your chain with WD40...then take the bike for a quick spin to heat the chain back up...apply your chain wax and your good to go for your next ride
wink.gif

....the important part of the whole process is to let the chain wax or oil "set up" before your next ride
biggrin.gif
Got to agree........ thats kind of the normal procedure for me.

wink.gif

....the important part of the whole process is to let the chain wax or oil "set up" before your next ride
biggrin.gif
Got to agree........ thats kind of the normal procedure for me.
sorry but...imnsho?...chain wax sux..when it first came out I used it for a few years...until I realized that it seems to collect more road grime quicker than any other chain lube out there and then?..it's twice the pita to clean off as well...a "lose-lose" the way I seen it...and god is it a pita to get off your body work (underside of ductail) and chainguard...hate the stuff.

Anybody else out there have anything besides chainwax that they've found, used and liked lately?

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I used Maxima for years then switched to some high performance oil ..got tired of cleaning up the mess, needless to say I am back on a steady diet of Maxima and probably wont go back to an oil again.

Ive always used Kerosene to clean my chains, works great , dries fast.

As far as WD-40 goes, I dont own a bottle nor is there a bottle anywhere in the litterally dozens of shelves full of
lubricants and cleaners etc @ work.

IMO WD-40 does nothing great.
If I need a cleaner I grab a cleaner, if I need an oil I grab and oil, if I need some lube I grab one of the many job specific lubes available, if I need a penetrating oil I grab one.

You get the idea.

.its probably good for household use , I dont know of any proffessionals in the automotive industry anyways that use the stuff.

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145205132 -->

"Things you should know about wd-40"

One thing not mentioned here is that the company that markets WD40 has NEVER advertised it as a chain cleaner much less a chain lube. While I may use it for some cleaning jobs and some minor lubing or for stuck nuts and bolts, I would NEVER trust it to lube a drivechain on my motorcycles.

It's not advertised for a lot of things but works excellent as a cleaner as witnessed by the gunk that drips off the chain when used and of course its a lubricant. For what it's worth you really aren't lubricating your chain anyway. The chain lubricant is more of a grease (lithium?) that is installed on the rollers between the o-rings. The o-rings keep the lubricant captured and the purpose of cleaning the chain is to clean and protect the o-rings from damage. The more junk you put on a chain the more junk collects in the primary sprocket cover.

Anyone who uses tape on wheel weights and WD-40 should cover them with duct tape to ensure they don't come flying off at some point. You can buy the tape in different colors.

Back