Hayabusa for an old guy??

I am thinking of a Busa in my future. I have been off bikes for a number of years. My previous bikes were a Kawasaki 750 H2, (loved it) and a tree stump pullin' Norton 850 commando.
Now I am thinking of getting a Busa at 52 years old. I like to take it easy in the corners and crank it up on the straights when I have a clear view. Here in California there are lots of both. My style is to take it easy for a while as I get to know a bike and what it can do. Then I like to push it little by little till I have a good handle on it.
Any advice out there from other old guys.
Get it and ride it. The more miles you put on the Busa, the younger you'll feel.
smile.gif
Welcome to the insanity!

46 and riding as much as i can.My old ladys same age and loves riding her bike.My dads 70 and rides v45 magna every day.Go for it

I am thinking of a Busa in my future. I have been off bikes for a number of years. My previous bikes were a Kawasaki 750 H2, (loved it) and a tree stump pullin' Norton 850 commando.
Now I am thinking of getting a Busa at 52 years old. I like to take it easy in the corners and crank it up on the straights when I have a clear view. Here in California there are lots of both. My style is to take it easy for a while as I get to know a bike and what it can do. Then I like to push it little by little till I have a good handle on it.
How many years off bikes? It sounds like quite a few. Re-entry riders in your age group are the fastest climbing “accident statisticâ€￾. I don’t want to discourage you at all, but please get a fresh motorcycle safety course completed BEFORE your first ride on a Hayabusa. Both of your two previous bikes were pretty impressive in their day, but a lot has changed in 30 years. The Hayabusa is a fantastic bike. It can be your best friend or worst enemy, all in the same few minutes of riding.

Now on my 3rd Busa to be honest one of the easiest bikes to ride goes were you point it rock solid at take off speed responds very well to counter steer use the gears for the corners or you can run on easy done on this bike, used to be one of my faults. Because of my age I've fitted Helli Bars just to ease me up slightly and keeps the busa looking as it should but you can still took in behind the screen no problem. Have fun be safe .Mick ps I've done 140 thousand on them and still have a big grin on my face a hour after I've got off it. lol

I'm 51. The riding position doesn't agree with everyone but I'm ok with it. I hadn't ridden anything in 10 years when i got my ZX-14. I liked it so much I got a busa to go along with it and I've been riding them for the last ten years. Just use your common sense. Do not let your guard down when you are going very slow. I always suggest riding a few minutes at a time and taking a break the first week you are getting reacquainted. Mentally, it's so much more demanding than driving a car. 5 minutes and take a break. Work your way up.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.
I am 51 yrs old, almost 52 and have been riding my 'Busa RY , Y2K Model, (NOT speed restricted) for coming up to 5 years now and I LOVE it.
I have put on some handlebar risers, that raise the top yolk ( triple tree) by an inch and a half, this helps.
Also I've put on adjustable foot pegs so they are a little bit lower and forward by about 15mm, this helps too.
Please check the FRONT brakes as mine, for a 200mph bike were TERRIBLE. the lever came almost back to the bars when I got her. She now has newer 6pot calipers on, from a later model GEN1, and a Brembo front master cylinder with braided lines of course.( only applicable if your prospective bike is a GEN1).
I love my BUSA, would only change her for a slightly newer GEN1 if I had to.

20161226_124624.jpg

I am 52 as well been riding Busas since 1999 currently own 5 of them ride and drag race them best bike made and pars are easy to get

Anyway, old post or not: I am 56 and in not so great shape but have no problems with the Busa. I have long arms and short legs, so I am genetically suited to the bike Lol. I have 1" riser dog bones on the rear of the bike with a pretty much stock fork height. I run Vortex rearsets and they are actually higher than the stock pegs. I also run Heli Bars with 1" rise. Other than a Corbin seat the bike is OEM and very comfortable. I was taught to ride so most of my weight sits on my abdomen and I don't really get much back stress. I added cruise control which really helps with the hand/forearm cramps and numbness. I ride a lot turned to the left so my throttle hand is closer to the bars and most of my butt is off the seat and my back is more or less vertcal. For simple cruising this is very comfortable. When we hit it I get back in a traditional position on the bike. It also helps to get your muscle memory used to the bike before any back issues set in. The Busa is a very easy to ride bike due to the amazingly flexible engine. It is happy going lazy slow or stupid fast - your choice.

New to the busa myself for this year. I picked up a mint 2001 Ice White w/6000 miles on it last Nov... Now that its just starting to warm up here in ND I have put 100 miles on it so far. I also have a Honda VTX bagger. I came from a 06 ZX10R (to small to be comfortable) and I REALLY FELL IN LOVE with the Busa's torque curve... It just pulls so hard/clean from as low as 3000rpm. Tonight (leaving in 15mins) will be the first time over 7000rpm. Yes I am adjusting to the power curve CAREFULLY. At any rate... JUST DO IT !!! It will make you giggle like a little kid again !!

Now I am thinking of getting a Busa at 52 years old.

Just turned 47 myself and this is my 2nd "Mid-Life Crisis"

I sold my former SV1000S (1st Mid-Life Crisis) about 5 years ago to buy a big cruiser "VTX 1800R"

Decided I needed a 2nd bike to have more fun riding and bought an '04 Special Edition Busa...

Well... It is just what the Doctor ordered!!!

Already put 700kms / 420 miles on it over the last couple of days... I love it!!!!

Go for it.... !! You won't regret it

New to the busa myself for this year. I picked up a mint 2001 Ice White w/6000 miles on it last Nov... Now that its just starting to warm up here in ND I have put 100 miles on it so far. I also have a Honda VTX bagger. I came from a 06 ZX10R (to small to be comfortable) and I REALLY FELL IN LOVE with the Busa's torque curve... It just pulls so hard/clean from as low as 3000rpm. Tonight (leaving in 15mins) will be the first time over 7000rpm. Yes I am adjusting to the power curve CAREFULLY. At any rate... JUST DO IT !!! It will make you giggle like a little kid again !!
Opps....meant a 2011

Last edited:

IMHO your age is not right for a Hayabusa. You need a few more years experience. :moon:

Back