close calls, how'd you handle it?

mynewride

Registered
today on the ride to work i had a very close call. i was traveling slightly faster than traffic as i always do. usually 5 or so over the limit. anyhow i was passing a newer maroon f-150. as i get to his door he decides he wants my spot on the road. my response was handfull of clutch and horn on left side while i grabbed a handfull of brake. my lane was empty behind me and i knew it. thats why i hit the brakes so hard. whats wierd is that when he heard my horn he slammed on his brakes too while swerving back into his lane. it took him a second to swerve back into his lane as he had me pushed to the outside of the lane before he even noticed i was right beside him. i couldnt go to the shoulder as it was a raised highway and i was afraid of the drainage grates. not sure if my tire would fall through the slots or not. anyhow i was at first very pissed, and put up one hand like what are you thinkin. but i refrained from flyin the bird. im sure it was just an accident and he didnt see me. right ... right?

furthermore all he had to do was look out the window and he would have seen me. im certain i could have punched the bedside with my armored gloves.

this is why i try to count cars around me and keep track of the type of auto and color as i pass cars so i always know whats around me. i drive faster so i can be the one in controll of who is around me and im usually able to tell what someone is going to do according to the vehicles around him. if they are coming up from behind me and passing its harder for me to keep track of em.

what would you have done?

I would have, screamed, poo'd then cried.

I hate it when things like that happen. Not sure what I really would have done, I tend to speed up when i need be somewhere safer in the the universe..

I had a 650 vstar without baffels..REALLY loud, cars always heard me. First trip home and the same thing started happening. This time no pipes to warn him. Small flick of the wrist and I was out of danger and clean underoos
Posted via Mobile Device

guess i should have told ya there was a car ahead of me. it was up a small ways, but not sure if there was enough room for me and him to fight over. he definately would have won. furthermore its like 15' or so down into the drainage canal. ive seen cars that have made it into there, so im sure it would be nothing for a 170 lb body to be flung over the short rail.

during the rest of the trip i could only think about what i could have done different to change the situation or to have avoided it all together. for what its worth loud pipes dont do much good as they are usually loudest behind you not in front of you. i do run brocks street meg which is as loud as i would ever want on a daily driver.

i can even say that i had a clear mind today on my commute.

today on the ride to work i had a very close call. i was traveling slightly faster than traffic as i always do. usually 5 or so over the limit. anyhow i was passing a newer maroon f-150. as i get to his door he decides he wants my spot on the road. my response was handfull of clutch and horn on left side while i grabbed a handfull of brake. my lane was empty behind me and i knew it. thats why i hit the brakes so hard. whats wierd is that when he heard my horn he slammed on his brakes too while swerving back into his lane. it took him a second to swerve back into his lane as he had me pushed to the outside of the lane before he even noticed i was right beside him. i couldnt go to the shoulder as it was a raised highway and i was afraid of the drainage grates. not sure if my tire would fall through the slots or not. anyhow i was at first very pissed, and put up one hand like what are you thinkin. but i refrained from flyin the bird. im sure it was just an accident and he didnt see me. right ... right?

furthermore all he had to do was look out the window and he would have seen me. im certain i could have punched the bedside with my armored gloves.

this is why i try to count cars around me and keep track of the type of auto and color as i pass cars so i always know whats around me. i drive faster so i can be the one in controll of who is around me and im usually able to tell what someone is going to do according to the vehicles around him. if they are coming up from behind me and passing its harder for me to keep track of em.

what would you have done?

The very same thing as you. I also count cars, you have too or you your going to get hit by one of them.

In my times this has happen I just let them know with a shake of my head or a point of my finger. It's not worth any road rage with anyone. I have accepted people do not watch out for bikes so we as riders have to always watch for them. If we get mad and up set it just makes us have a bad day. That is not good on a bike. JMO

had a lady intentionally brake check me with.about.five car lengths betwwen us, lets just say she had to replace a side view mirror
Posted via Mobile Device

I treat every driver as they are an idiot, stupid with an IQ less then 4. Its sad to say but thats how you survive out on the roads.
Always leave yourself and open path, expect that person to pull out in front of you, expect that car beside you to come over on you, expect the on coming car is going to vear over into your lane from texting on there phone, ALWAYS prepare is all I can tell you. You can drive fast and smart, or fast and reckless. Be Safe.

wow man close, but glad you made it out ok.

...now.... what would I have done? One thing I do is NEVER sit in or near their blind spot. When I come up behind someone, I'll gun it a bit to jump at least to his side where he can see me better.
I'm not sayin you sat there but spend as little time there as possible.
Defensive defensive is the only way to go to be safe? ....or safer !!

Ride safe Boys and Gals

guess i should have told ya there was a car ahead of me. it was up a small ways, but not sure if there was enough room for me and him to fight over. he definately would have won. furthermore its like 15' or so down into the drainage canal. ive seen cars that have made it into there, so im sure it would be nothing for a 170 lb body to be flung over the short rail.

during the rest of the trip i could only think about what i could have done different to change the situation or to have avoided it all together. for what its worth loud pipes dont do much good as they are usually loudest behind you not in front of you. i do run brocks street meg which is as loud as i would ever want on a daily driver.

i can even say that i had a clear mind today on my commute.

I think u handled the situation just right. U seem like a level headed cat who assesses the situation at hand with maturity. I, like you, are always watching the other drivers and making the best assumption on their driving. I try n ride in front of traffic also, IMO it's the best place to be ( unless I biff it then I'll get run over a few dozen times lol). Always look at cagers front wheel direction and when possible try n make eye contact so u r sure they see u.

Rockethead using Tapatalk

I treat every driver as they are an idiot, stupid with an IQ less then 4. Its sad to say but thats how you survive out on the roads.
Always leave yourself and open path, expect that person to pull out in front of you, expect that car beside you to come over on you, expect the on coming car is going to vear over into your lane from texting on there phone, ALWAYS prepare is all I can tell you. You can drive fast and smart, or fast and reckless. Be Safe.

+1000. Always expect what will " never happen" :rofl: then we shall be prepared for it :laugh: don't know about everyone else but I never have a normal ride..dogs, squirrels and deer running out in front of me or cagers turnin left infront of me.

Rockethead using Tapatalk

I've had the exact same thing happen to me. The drivers give you that look like hey I didnt see you. I would never grab for the clutch, let the engine help in slowing the bike down.

The same thing happen to me not too long ago, but the driver was slowly getting into the lane so I honk, apply the brakes and pull to the far side of my lane. He pull back to his lane really fast and told me "sorry" when I pass by. I didnt got mad since he said he was sorry.

We got to expect the unexpected all the time.

having had cars try to merge into me I typically try to pass at a high rpm so if I need to I can get out of the way fast. besides that normally I just rev at them instead of using the horn usually it gets their attention better,

but I would never use the clutch next to them just because I dont wont to be next to cars if I can avoid it

****ing pisses me off.. its happened to me so many times ive lost count. I would need a few more hands at least.

And thing is, I do try to minimize the time I spend next to cars or in blind spots especially. I make it a habit to ride ahead of traffic, personally, even if it risks a speeding ticket of 5-10 over. Its just safer. I also watch the front wheel of the car, because you are going to notice that approaching the line and crossing it a whole lot sooner than if you just watch the mass bulk of the vehicle.

And you had about the same reaction I do. See its gotten to the point that the last dozen times its happened or so, I actually knew it was going to happen before it happened, so I was ready. I just cover the brakes, move over in my lane and get on the horn. Though I keep telling myself that the next one that does it is going to get a boot shaped dent in their quarter panel.

The worst I ever had was a really tiny asian jackass driving a HUGE minivan (oxymoron much?) in the middle of rush hour. He was next to me, and I had a car in front of me, and a car tailgating me as well, couldnt really go anywhere. He was also either deaf, or had to music way too loud, because he could not hear my horn at all. So I had no choice but to make the split second decision to cross the double yellow into the on-coming lane. It was one of those slo-mo moments, though, and I knew there werent any oncoming cars at the time, so I was OK there for a moment or two.
Then you know what puts the icing on the cake? He finally noticed me, probably from the damn smoke comin outta my ears I was fumin so much... So he violently swerves back into his own lane, nearly losing control and taking out another car... Then you know what he has the cajones to do? FAWKIN SMILE AND WAVE!!! :punch::evil::newburn::cussing::cursin:

I think you just act on instinct because it happens so fast sometimes. Also the obvious which I do all the time keep distance between you and the car in front.

The more of these you experience, the more it's evident a lower speed will reduce your chances. Glad you had no incident!
Posted via Mobile Device

It happens almost daily on my ride to work. What is interesting it happens more in the afternoon, not in the morning. I am still always watchful, but I can usually count on having a close call on the way home. Yesterday an elderly man wanted my lane, I was watching him as I was going to pass him, thought to myself that he could want my lane. So I moved all the way to the left side to give him room and sure enough as I got to the rear tire of the car, here he came. So I accelerated to get even with his door and he swerved back to his lane. Expect it happen and beware, you will rarely get surprised if you do.

Back