Close Call

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
I don't know about any of you, but lately I have been feeling like my number is up....what I mean is it seems like every time I go riding as of late I have a close call. My last two rides I went on were hair raising to say the least....It was the sunday before last and I decided to go for a little ride in the hills behind my house....hwy49 area and then up thru Ice House to George Town and home. Just as I was leaving the town of Plymouth I came over this knoll that turned to the left and droped down the other side....as I came off the top of the hill, what do I see?...a very large oak tree limb hanging over the road which cracks and falls right in front of me!...I hit the skids and looked for a way out but the limb covered the whole road...I managed to stop just before I hit the limb but now I think'in "OH SH##, I got to get out of the road before I get nailed...so I pull off to the only place I could on the side of the road, look up, and see a truck pulling a boat and he can't stop!...for a second I could see he was going to try and go around the limb but thats were I was so he went straight into the limb....he and his buddy were o.k. and cars were start'in to stack up so I got on around the limb and got out of there before there was a big wreck.

Last sunday I rode with the guy's from work....we did a loop thru Downieville and out to 237 over to Tahoe...when we got on 237 I was leading....237 is posted 55mph with some big sweepers and fairly flat until Tahoe...as I was coming around a turn a car was in my lane trying to pass another car and he was heading directly at me!!...honestly, I'm not sure how I made it around him without being struck....it was like muscle memory or something cause after it happened it all went thru my mind and I about pooped my shorts....I mean I missed this clown by a foot or so and almost went right off the road and into the woods...I pulled over, thanked the lord and cleaned the seat off....all the guy's behind me thought I was a dead man for sure and could'ent believe I did'ent go down....my friends were so angry they wanted to go back and get a peice of this idiot...not me though, I was glad I made it...the rest of the day I rode without incident but now I feel sorta cursed....anyone ever feel like they need to stand down for a while?....this incident has played in my head ever since it happened and I think I need to just take a break and regroup....I know ya know, but PLEASE be carefull out there...

Had to tell a guy in an F350 he was number one and slap his passenger window yesterday. He thought I had to much space in my lane and wanted some of it I guess (1/2).... He threw his hands up at me at the light but I again made sure he knew he was number 1 with me

thats some crazy crap. was tree part on hwy 49. thats a fun road. watch out here in sacramento crazy bastards.

I see one thing in common with both days. Don't ride on Sundays.
wow.gif

Had an idiot tailgate me the other day and when I stopped waiting for traffic in order turn left, he passed me on the shoulder and almost sideswiped me. I obliged him by taking the driver mirror completely off his Acura's driver door with my armored glove. I waited for him to come back for it, but he kept going. Not only an idiot, but spineless as well.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121952017 -->

Oh yeah I'm glad you made it through both without getting hurt.

Ramminbusa, i think the same guy tried to run over me in between Oklahoma City and Dallas last Friday.....I gave him the same treatment.....makes me want to take a pocket full of marbles every time out.

Had an idiot tailgate me the other day and when I stopped waiting for traffic in order turn left, he passed me on the shoulder and almost sideswiped me. I obliged him by taking the driver mirror completely off his Acura's driver door with my armored glove. I waited for him to come back for it, but he kept going. Not only an idiot, but spineless as well.
LOL Bronc,

What did you do with the mirror? Maybe a tuner or 2 who would pay cash for the Busa Signature Series Mirror...

Ramminbusa, i think the same guy tried to run over me in between Oklahoma City and Dallas last Friday.....I gave him the same treatment.....makes me want to take a pocket full of marbles every time out.
Had a mexican plated car with no mirrors give me the same treatment when I was going home on the wifes former shadow a couple months back. As it happens my combat boot slipped off the peg and landed in the middle of his 1/4 panel. My size 12 boot sunk into this little pos car about 4 inches, he continued straight and never looked back...

I checked when I got home, did not see any paint on my boot so all was well...
rock.gif

I suggest you do take a break for sometime... if your not feeling too comfortable riding!!!

...and on the flip note, lookat it from another point of view... god wants you to ride, thats why after two close calls your still alive and ticking
biggrin.gif
At the end of the day its all about how you look at it bro

I wouldn't take a break, best thing to do is face that fear and overcome it. Kinda like after a crash, the longer you wait to ride the worse the fear gets along with your confidence.

Glad to hear you were able to avoid injury and damage in both cases. After two close calls like that, I'd say your number is not up, but put back to the bottom. It may be that you given the time to realize how much fun life really is. give you a little scare and then let you roll on.

Many years ago I was riding behind a friend of mine and a big tree branch broke off and fell in the road between his bike and mine (I was able to stop in time.)

I think the best way to look at it is - give thanks to whatever God/guardian you believe in. Stuff like that makes you glad/grateful to be alive.

The world's a dangerous place, and even if you hide in your house it could be hit by an aeroplane, so just try to present a moving target.
smile.gif

Thanks everyone for the advice...it was all good...today I rode to work but I took the zrx...I will ride the Busa sunday again...I'll never quit riding but I think that this experience was the lord let'in me know how quickly it could be over...someone a few weeks ago that I sorta know had a terrible crash and may never ride again....then I had this close call and it really hits home now....again, thanks everyone!

Back