My SRP build

What I am saying is that according to the "engine lubrication system chart", provided in the factory manual, the restrictor behind the oil filter diverts oil to the oil cooler. Taking it out completely would reduce the amount of oil getting to the very same fitting that is apparently supplying oil to the turbo itself in your new application. Is this a good thing? The only way to know for sure is to screw in a pressure gauge, and find out what the difference is with the restrictor in and the restrictor out at that point.

I have never seen anybody run a feed line for a turbo from that point, in any case. Again, taking the restrictor out would supply more oil through the oil filter to the main galley, and hence, the entire motor. I would take it out, and run the feed from the main galley to the turbo.

If Steadman is telling you guys to take the restrictor out, and run the feed line from that fitting to the turbo (and I don't know for sure that he is), I think it is a BIG mistake. It goes along with that erroneous "fuel layout" that was allegedly supplied by Steadman, and corrected by Richard.

with no oil cooler restrictor in or out same pressure. I checked it. now for flow I have no clue

Can someone put up a picture of the Oil supply location on the left side of the block(off the main gally) Thanks

The oil fitting from that oil cooler gallery will be finewith the restrictor removed.. , the restrictor is needed when a cooler is there to divert oil through the cooler, if there was no restrictor there would be very little difference in oil pressure from one side of the oil cooler to the other as there both on pressure side gallerys , put a gauge on there if you don't believe me
do not run the bike with the oil cooler removed and restrictor in place..

Last edited:
oil-feed.jpg

The oil fitting from that oil cooler gallery will be finewith the restrictor removed.. , the restrictor is needed when a cooler is there to divert oil through the cooler, if there was no restrictor there would be very little difference in oil pressure from one side of the oil cooler to the other as there both on pressure side gallerys , put a gauge on there if you don't believe me
do not run the bike with the oil cooler removed and restrictor in place..
I have put a guage on the bike with and with out the plug and no oil filter and the presuure is the same TRUST me BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Flow is another matter

Am I supposed to do something different on my k8 since it has a little different setup than the gen1 for the oil sourcing. As u can see there is another line already there were the pic above has only the turbo feed line there.

c089526f.jpg

I have put a guage on the bike with and with out the plug and no oil filter and the presuure is the same TRUST me BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Flow is another matter

So what's your recomendation Jonny? I am in the middle of this same build with my oil supply line running from the outside right block off just like Rudy has pictured.

Do I leave it there like Steadman has intended or do I go and get a couple of fittings from Lowes to run it off the left side galley? Oh, I've got a gen I so no line attached there, just a bolt.

So, I am not meaning to discredit anyone, but I would love to hear what Frank has to say about the Gen 2 for using the left side pickup(due to the line already in same location. I could only see using a T.

Yea, I agree, but from what it sounds like Johnny is saying there is another location lower on the motor to pull a feed from.

Johnny, or anyone else out there, could you please throw up a pic of this lower point to pull a feed from. I see a point lower on my Gen I but it looks like it is being used similarly to the way the Gen II's upper galley is, I have a line running from it.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I know I'm nickel and diming you to death with these questions but I just want to make sure that it's done right.

Thanks to OZBooster for your input also. It's good to know that I shouldn't have any problems with running my feed line from there. I would just like to know all of my options so I can make the best informed decision. I think Frank put it best when he called it our "precious turbo". I want to make sure my investment is well protected!

I've been running mine with no restrictor for 2 years now just like Stedman set it up. I hope this calms everyone's nerves:thumbsup:

I have put 8k miles on like Stedman has his set up also, oil pressure is the same out both ports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick D, ktw88q,

Thanks both of you! I am going to do it that way. Just frustrated with how long the oil supply line it. Trying to run it so that it doesn't rest on the exhaust housing and it seems like I might just have to get a new one made to fit better.Picture anyone??? Thanks for the reassurance. Just ordered a Russell compact fuel fitler from Summit and another Earls 90 fitting. So I can get the tank back in. So, the only thing holding me back is the wiring and cutting out the intake slot from the ram-air tube on left side. So I will be done this weekend for sure! Gotta get her all done before thanks giving!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks Cheeseman for checking the pressure situation and establishing that it is the same, regardless of the restrictor being in or out. So now we know for sure that we can take the turbo feed from a variety of places. I will say this- if you are running a kit where the centerline of the turbo impeller shaft is lower than the oil level itself (like some Velocity kits), I think you would want to take your oil feed from the highest position, to prevent gravity feeding oil through the ring seal of the turbo, and having a smoking problem.

The other thing that needs to be said is that where Steadman is taking his oil feed for the turbo is UNFILTERED oil, directly from the pan, through the pump. I am WAY not crazy about this . . . again, my "precious" turbo - one of the more expensive items of my bike - should get oil that at least has been filtered. That is what you get when you take your feed off the main galley. It does not take much to screw up a turbo shaft . . .:poke:

Back