SRP (Steadman Motorsports) Stage one install HELP!!

Ghostrider, you will need to trim the laft hand fairing somewhat for the charge tubes. Not sure what is up with the FMU though. The airfilter and turbo is not what we use so I also can not comment on the fitment, other then the airfilter on our kit does fit inside the bodywork. The hoses and fitings are different in our kit as well as the routing, so our instructions will differ a fair bit. I hope the info I have given you helps you out a little.

I am off to get married so I will not be back online till Monday.

Richard

Congrats Richard!:thumbsup:

congratulations on the wedding, richard!

i was a little in shock when i saw a similiar kit for such a big difference in price, but after reading up on srp yesterday i don't feel so bad. $2800 isn't going to get you finished, so you end up only saving what, $1000 max maybe, for no-name components and no support.

richard has always gotten back to me quickly, even on a sunday when i didn't think he would.

Hey Rich, that girl finally made an honest man out of you!:lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!

I think you'll find that married life is the same . . . only different!:laugh:

Hey Richard! You can't get married this weekend! You are supposed to be making me an exhaust! :laugh: Okay okay. You can have the weekend off. Enjoy the experience. :beerchug:

I opted to not go with the FMU for my kit. They called it the stage 2 upgrade? Uses a map sensor for Raising rate 1to1 FP. I should get my kit in 2 weeks he said. I looked forward to the kit seeing that it was 1400 cheaper. But then I decided the dump was to loud and went with the full exhaust. Thinking it was 550 like everyone else charges.. Was kinda bummed when he told me it was going to be over 800 for it :poke:. But i guess everything cant be cheap. I hope I don't have to bother you guys much when I am installing mine at the end of the month.

I am going to put my bike up next week (never prepare to soon) Ship Jay my ECU so he can flash it( SH forums said good things about his tunes) and hopefully it will be pretty spot on when I get it dyno'd.

No bashing implied anywhere thru out this post.

First, Congrats to Richard!! I wish you the best of luck!!!

Next, I will tell you that Steadman told me 4-6 weeks on my kit when I ordered it. The kit finally arrived after I had called several times, being courteous and polite to them, 12 WEEKS AFTER I ORDERED IT. Yes, that is right 1/4 OF A YEAR!!!!!!!!

My kit must have been widdled from gold by little turbo elfs only between the hours of 2 and 4 A.M on either Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
:cursin:

First, Congrats to Richard!! I wish you the best of luck!!!

Next, I will tell you that Steadman told me 4-6 weeks on my kit when I ordered it. The kit finally arrived after I had called several times, being courteous and polite to them, 12 WEEKS AFTER I ORDERED IT. Yes, that is right 1/4 OF A YEAR!!!!!!!!

My kit must have been widdled from gold by little turbo elfs only between the hours of 2 and 4 A.M on either Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday.
:cursin:

That's it then,,, I am spreading the word! :laugh:

Killerrudy, it sounds like you'll probably have your kit in before mine. I would love to bounce some ideas off you, and who knows I may even be of some assistance to you. I'll send you a friend request just in case. Today I found this you may want to take a look at.

t_21267.gif

These are longer colored couplers for the charge pipes and the plenum. I am going to get all of my aluminum powder coated black and use the red couplers. Even if you don't want the flash I would recommend these. The hoses Steadman provided are only 2 inches high and don't quite cover enough pipe to clamp to. Oh, the clamps are not quite what I would have picked either so I think I will get some t-bolt clamps from the same site.

Those sure are some pretty couplers..:thumbsup: If they are to short I will def get some different ones. From the pic those look like they are 3 ply. A little over kill for<10 psi. I had an ebay intercooler kit on my DSM which used straight silicone(no ply) couplers. They finally gave way at about 12 psi on the dyno. blew the side right out in between the clamps. I hate how darn expensive they are though. :-(

Those sure are some pretty couplers..:thumbsup: If they are to short I will def get some different ones. From the pic those look like they are 3 ply. A little over kill for<10 psi. I had an ebay intercooler kit on my DSM which used straight silicone(no ply) couplers. They finally gave way at about 12 psi on the dyno. blew the side right out in between the clamps. I hate how darn expensive they are though. :-(

These are only $4.99 ea and they're 4 ply. I know its overkill but that's pretty reasonable for what you get. I figured I will only use 2 for my plenum. I went out and measured and I should be able to cut 2 in half to make the four I need.

High Performance Series 4 ply Polyester reinforced silicone couplers have been made to survive serious boost applications. Manufactured to the SAE J20 specification and utilizing 4 plies of polyester, we can achieve a continuous temperature range up to +376°F for direct turbo installations and have burst pressures up to over 200PSI. Extreme PSI hoses are manufactured and tested to meet or exceed the requirements of the SAE J20 R4 Class A Specification. All of our hose products are made with a super slick outer cover. This simple and easy design promotes easier cleaning and that trick look under the hood.

Specifications:

Wall Thickness: 4-Ply Polyester Reinforced

Temperature Rating: -76°F to +376°F

Material: Silicone

Hose Length: 3"

Type: Straight Coupler

Warranty: One-year warranty against splitting, cracking, tearing or bursting.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Sweet product. Those are cheap! The ones I bought for my DSM were like $30 a piece ??? Strange. I love these now! I might have to get some pretty ones now to match you!

But on a side not. I will document and create a new install doc for this so that I can help anyone out in the future. I consider myself "McGuyverish" at working without all the needed instructions and things coming out well in the end. Just my opinion though.

Example. I peiced together a turbo kit for my 1990 Toyota Celica and I ended up just having to find a place to tap into for water and retro fit a t-adapter in the block by an oil temp sensor for the oil supply. Found a 3 bar mapsensor and injectors off a MR2 turbo. Ended up pretty nice. Still was not a fast car, but it was better than stock for sure!

Something is really wrong here. Someone please tell me if I'm stupid and mounting this stuff wrong or the charge pipe is just welded wrong.

There is no way this stuff fits right. Ignore the fuel hoses for a moment. Look at how the charge pipe will not allow the fmu to sit strait and how it is rubbing against it. the charge pipe itself doesn't line up for S@#% to the plenum.

And I don't need anyone telling me to flip the pipe over......It really won't fit that way, this is the closest I can get it and that's without the lower side connected.

DSC00873.jpg

DSC00874.jpg

DSC00875.jpg

Try fitting the charge tube without the FMU on the bike, it looks like the FMU is in the way of the charge tube.

Richard

Why do 2 of the ends that look short have clean cuts not weld on clamp ends the ones at the intake box and first charge tube? and yes flip the fmu so it sits up..

Last edited:
So I flipped the fmu. This gave me more clearance than before but I will have to cut the LH plastic for the charge pipes to meet. The turbo bolts are loose so that the charge side will rotate. The lower pipe will go back but the plastics are stopping it. I have some longer silicone couplers coming in the mail that may also help my fit. I will take some more pics when I cut the plastic.

Kevin, not sure what you are asking but I have purchased t-bolt clamps for my silicone couplers. Not sure if your talking about v-band clamps or not. The only v-band is on the blow off valve.

DSC00881.jpg

DSC00880.jpg

GhostRider, slow and steady wins the race! From reading your messages it sounds like you are very anxious, which is understandable, but take a few breaths, maybe a step back and just know it will all work out in the end. :poke: I want to give you some words of encouragement so when I get mine you can tell me to calm the hell down too! :laugh:

On a side note, did you add the BOV to the kit yourself?

Last edited:
Don't know why Steadman puts the BOV to the left of the charge inlet . . . it would fit better on the right side of the plenum . ..:poke:

Back