What kind of gas do you use?

Octane Level

• Total voters
i reverted back to high test after experimenting with 87. some swear that there is no difference with what octane and i disagree. i don't like the way she runs and the crap mileage it puts out on my gen2(stock). i ran several full tanks and rode the exact route for the past 2 weeks. so now i am comfortable wasting my nickels with the good stuff again. :laugh:

Stock Gen I 87, Stock Gen II 90 up. Ask your builder or tuner about everything else :laugh:

Not a fuel expert

i reverted back to high test after experimenting with 87. some swear that there is no difference with what octane and i disagree. i don't like the way she runs and the crap mileage it puts out on my gen2(stock). i ran several full tanks and rode the exact route for the past 2 weeks. so now i am comfortable wasting my nickels with the good stuff again. :laugh:

Your bike requires = > 90 octane.

I only put 91+ in mine, that's what the manual calls for.
If you consider Premium is typically $0.20-$0.24 (that's the range around here anyway) more per gallon, 5gal @ $0.20 = $1
Our Thornton's are typically $0.20 more for premium, with Shell being $0.24
If you go to a Thornton's and use your debit card you get $0.03 off/gal
so 5gal @ $0.17 = $0.85

Why skimp for $.85 on a full tank?
I don't believe the Suzuki engineers would have specified to use 91+ if there wasn't a reason for it.

I was off a tad. Here's exactly what the Gen II manual says:

Fuel and Oil Recommendation

Fuel (For USA and Canada)

Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 90 pump octane (R/2 + M/2).
Gasoline containing MTBE (Meltyl Tertiary Butyl Ether),
less than 10% ethanol, or less than 5% methanol with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible.

Last edited:
I've got a 01 with air filter, full exhaust and a PC3, and I've been running 91 through it and getting ~37MPG in mixed driving....should I be considering going to 89 or 87?

Premium, only. I have heard that lower octane burns more completely thus more power and cleaner emmissions....I can't a tell a diff in the power between high and low test. ...so I go witrh what is safest for street riding. If I get good enough for race fuel I would use it along with special tune for track riding.

same here. Used regular in my ZX-14 with stock pipes. Not too scary in the cooler weather. Hot weather, it popped once in a while even a major thundering afterburn BANG that did not sound healthy at all. With full system, forget it! It popped so bad I was back at the pump ASAP to dilute the gas with premium. Premium is all I use now. If the fuel burns in the exhaust it can pre-ignite in the motor. I don't ever want that to happen.

I run mid-grade in my 07 ( 89 ). But have run it all 87, 89, 93....not a big difference as far as milage goes but can see a small difference in the plugs when I pull them.

Not sure what octane fuel is available to you guys in the States, but here in Australia most of the guys I know are using 98 Octane. Seems to work pretty well and most of the reflashers are recommending we use BP 98 Octane fuel.

Fuel and Oil Recommendation

Fuel (For USA and Canada)

Use only unleaded gasoline of at least 90 pump octane (R/2 + M/2).
Gasoline containing MTBE (Meltyl Tertiary Butyl Ether),
less than 10% ethanol, or less than 5% methanol with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitor is permissible.

My last ride, Ducati Multistrada, ran 90 non ethanol. Ethanol causes the plastic tank to swell. I also run this in the Busa. Alcohol is the dumbest idea ever. Low mileage, bad burn, attracts water, promotes corrosion, kills rubber. Only in America are we so politically correct we put poison in our gas and try to kill our vehicles . I won,t even run my weed wackier on the crap.

Nope,not on this one.:laugh:Nothing but 89 in my Gen II since the day i bought it,seems like i remember Brock saying 89 makes the most power in a Gen II so i'm hangin' with him.:beerchug:

Where's that article or info at? I've been running 89 and ill stick to it on the gen 2, gen 1 gets 87.

Back