What kind of gas do you use?

Octane Level

• Total voters
run midgrade 87ish.
in Wyo premium ia only 91 in my state, regular 85, mid 87ish.

i get worse gas mileage on premium. .

I ran a tank of 110 in it once, the only difference was it cost a lot more and smelled a lot better...:laugh: I'm sticking with premium at the pump.

Start with regular and go up from there until you don't hear pinging, its best way to choose gas grade for your bike or car and save some money. I do run some Seafoam through all my internal combustion engines (weed whacker to the F150) once a year to keep the fuel system and injectors clean.

I used to run 93 octane till someone told me the 05 hayabusa was factory tuned on 87 octane. Not sure how true this is so I have been running 87. I havent had any problems with it.

There was a long thread on this years ago. From what I recall, the manual for the Gen 1 states to use 87 octane. Higher octane will cause the motor to run hotter. So, that's when I went from 92 to 87 without any difference in performance. Of course, mods may change the recommendation. That's where you need a tuner's advice.

I ride 2 up alot with my wife on my 04LE, in hot weather, and at lower rpm's to keep the ride smooth for her...... the perfect storm for detonation. So I run 91, which is the highest they offer at my elevation. Bike runs awesome with great mileage for my mods :thumbsup:

Remember the owners manual says to run a MINIMUM of 87, it doesn't say 87 is the best for a first gen....just the lowest you can safely run. I ran 87 at first because I was a cheapie, and with the conditions I often ride under, a passenger, low rpm's, and hot weather, the 91 was MUCH smoother and just as strong if not stronger. Plus I got better mileage, and I think the bike runs slightly cooler as well.

I run 87 in both my Gen-2's. I've never heard any detonation. I've been known to make over 30 passes in one day (5-1/2 hrs) at the strip with no negative effects. One of my bikes has around 2000 passes on it, mostly with 87 octane.

When i'm just riding/traveling I run 87 octane in my gen2 and get 45 mpg or so. If i know i'm going to be hard on it or running the nitrous I run 93. I have different maps for each. Hopefully the new editor release will allow ABC mode so i don't have to reflash it all the time.

This confuses me greatly unless I'm misunderstanding something. ECU editor does allow use of ABC modes, but generally not with nitrouscontrol. With nitrouscontrol you don't need a different map, as it will add fuel to your existing map, programmable by gear. You wouldn't want to use B or C modes for map swapping anyway. If you don't want nitrouscontrol handling your enrichment, you CAN have two maps stored, just open (cut) pin 58 on the ECU to switch between MS0 and MS1. Install a switch for easiest map switching. If you want ABC for some reason just use the pin 58 method.

This confuses me greatly unless I'm misunderstanding something. ECU editor does allow use of ABC modes, but generally not with nitrouscontrol. With nitrouscontrol you don't need a different map, as it will add fuel to your existing map, programmable by gear. You wouldn't want to use B or C modes for map swapping anyway. If you don't want nitrouscontrol handling your enrichment, you CAN have two maps stored, just open (cut) pin 58 on the ECU to switch between MS0 and MS1. Install a switch for easiest map switching. If you want ABC for some reason just use the pin 58 method.

I have several different maps for each. Yes the nitrous control turns off the ABC selector so it can be used for the trigger. I ment the ABC for everyday use. I would still have to reflash for the nitrous. But that's no big deal since the bottles stay int he garage fridge until I know i'm gonna be using them..

I don't use my normal 93 octane map for nitrous, I do use the gear based timing retard with nitrous control but not the +/- fuel tab since I fog my air box and didn't want to just +/- a % of fuel. the A/F trace wasn't clean until I went in and actually adjusted the fuel table. Might work for some but I didn't like it so I did it the same way i've always done it.

Hopefully the next release will allow complete tuning of ABC then I can have a 93 octane map a 87 octane map and a valet or theft or whatever map. Make the theft map A that way every time the bike is started it's in theft mode.
I do that with cars that have flip chips. Probably never get used on a bike but nice to have that option..

I have several different maps for each. Yes the nitrous control turns off the ABC selector so it can be used for the trigger. I ment the ABC for everyday use. I would still have to reflash for the nitrous. But that's no big deal since the bottles stay int he garage fridge until I know i'm gonna be using them..

I don't use my normal 93 octane map for nitrous, I do use the gear based timing retard with nitrous control but not the +/- fuel tab since I fog my air box and didn't want to just +/- a % of fuel. the A/F trace wasn't clean until I went in and actually adjusted the fuel table. Might work for some but I didn't like it so I did it the same way i've always done it.

Hopefully the next release will allow complete tuning of ABC then I can have a 93 octane map a 87 octane map and a valet or theft or whatever map. Make the theft map A that way every time the bike is started it's in theft mode.
I do that with cars that have flip chips. Probably never get used on a bike but nice to have that option..

You've got a lot going on there.

I don't think the ABC will ever get any attention due to the complexity and the fact that those inputs are better used elsewhere (for most people). My airshifter uses the mode down input and my nitrous uses the mode up button.

You could still take advantage of pin 58 so you could have two fuel maps available at any time. If nothing else that could be your theft mode.

How much are you spraying? I spray 40 hp with no timing retard. I also just add +% fuel. From all my data-logger tuning I've never found the last .3 in afr to make any measurable difference in performance, but I don't claim to be a pro either. I also use the same map for 87 and 93. I just run 93 when I plan to run nitrous soon. In a few weeks I'm switch over to E85 after seeing my buddy's success with it.

I can see how 87 might work OK on a long flat cruise on a cool day, but for performance I think youre leaving something on the table. The ECU can pull out the timing and yeah it might work...but as high a compression engine as the Busa has, why risk it? I always run 93.
That being said, agree that octane in excess is a waste. On the dyno with automotive engines, Ive seen power go down with race gas; also have seen better mileage with regular on low comresion engines.

89 only in my 2011 with Short Meg and PC.Don't hold me absolutely to it as more often than not my memory isn't worth a good crap,but i'm thinking(as far as pump gas goes)Brock and several other top tuners all say 89 makes the most power in a Gen II.

I can see how 87 might work OK on a long flat cruise on a cool day, but for performance I think youre leaving something on the table. The ECU can pull out the timing and yeah it might work...but as high a compression engine as the Busa has, why risk it? I always run 93.
That being said, agree that octane in excess is a waste. On the dyno with automotive engines, Ive seen power go down with race gas; also have seen better mileage with regular on low comresion engines.

I've got about 2000 passes on one of my 08's. Most of them are with 87, even in the heat. It doesn't bother me to hot lap either. The ECU won't pull timing out by itself, and I don't pull any out. In fact I've normalized the timing tables to use the more aggressive timing from the higher gears. I'm not the only one using 87, all my buddies do too. Even the one who runs 14's (Gen 1 and Gen 2). The Busa does have a decent compression ratio, but it also has small diameter cylinders so you can't really compare compression ratios to an automobile engine. I really don't see any problem with 87 but I know some people feel better about running 92 or 93.

i grab the highest octane i can find. manual says 89 or better for the gen2 so why not?

Back