What kind of gas do you use?

Octane Level

• Total voters
Every1 is saying the Gen1's run 87octane but it seems like the majority runs premium??? Ive alway just ran the premium in all my bikes since i was on a CR80 :laugh:

I always run 92 or 93 ....when I had my stock busa I ran two tanks of 110 through it and by the end of the second tank it would hardly run it would get to 8k and fall on its face filled it up with a tank of 87 and ran the **** out of it and then it ran great...

Using the "wrong" gas is a waste of money. Engines are purpose built and gas is formulated for specific engines. In the case of octane ratings, the short explanation is that it has to do with the compression ration of the engine.

Which means that "premium" gas is not better. Pure and simple.

All things being equal, the octane ratings for gasoline are an indication of what engine it should be used in. The Gen 1 Busa engine is built for 87 octane gas. Using higher octane or "premium" gas does absolutely no benefit to the bike at all and it has been shown repeatedly that using higher octane gasoline WILL reduce gas mileage and the power of the bike.

If you're using gas rated higher than 87 octane, test this out. To do so, do a run with your higher octane gas which will use up the majority of the tank and return you to your starting point. About 140 miles is pretty good. Then fill with 87 octane, run the tank out, then fill with 87 octane again and do the first loop again. You'll notice a difference. Note that it takes at least two or three tanks of gas to get the notable difference.

You'll stick to 87 octane from that point forward, I can almost guarantee it.

One thing to note is that there are suspicions that using higher octane gas than 87 can damage the engine physically but I've never seen any real evidence of that. The engines are built rock solid but they are built for 87, not 89 or higher.

Also, if you think you need to "clean" your fuel system, "premium" gas is not the way to do it. Use Sea Foam or Chevron Techron additive as a basic way to do so.

Bear in mind, "premium" is merely a marketing ploy that started back in the 50's or thereabouts and continues to this day.

If you want, ask me how I learned all of this. :D

--Wag--

93 for me, just seems right for performance :laugh:

my busa.jpg

I read so much here about fuel choice, I was running 93 in my 05' Busa. Then after reading here I changed to 87 and I have to say the mileage is better and the bike seems to run smoother as well.

Gen 1 busas 11:1 compression gen 2 12:5. Running anything besides 91-93 octane in a gen 2 is redonkulous

Dino fuel is too costly. Plasma is all around us,.......and it's free!! Convert to plasma drive......and never look back!!!

I use 93 premium. I did notice a small difference when I switched from 87 to 93. I noted it while slowly getting on the throttle. It seemed to react better with the 93 over the 87. Just my:2cents: Oh, and I get a little piece of mind in knowing a better grade fuel in being put through my baby. I'm not too concerned over the extra $1.10 it takes to fill 'er up each time. That being said, I will be doing some checking because of the other information listed in the posts for this thread. The last thing I want to do is damage the motor or hinder performance.

Typically run 87, and from time to time 93 and on occasion 104 (love the smell too, but not the price).

Even before I put the Turbo on my Gen.I I ran at lease 91. My Gen, II gets the same. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever ran regular in any of my bikes. It's a Respect thing You Know! :bowdown:

Stock Gen I 87, Stock Gen II 90 up. Ask your builder or tuner about everything else :laugh:

Not a fuel expert

The lil sticker on the side says 87, so thats what it gets. The Scooby gets 93 thanks to its snail. To bad the 40 MPG things gets the cheap gas while the 20 MPG thing takes the good stuff :banghead:

Our Premium here in Armpit, NM (AKA Clovis, NM) is 90. So that's what I go with

Back