How do you ride while cornering?

I corner on the balls of my feet, and I still drag toes in some corners. Riding on the balls of your feet and pushing down on them helps to effectively lower your CG. That makes the bike more stable in the corner. It also helps you feel more of the feedback from the tires. When you are really in tune with your bike you can feel the tires gripping through the pegs.

You will be amazed at how good the corners feel when you ride with proper body position.

:beerchug:

And yes, Spies is a monkey. He's a very sick monkey. :laugh:

I corner on the balls of my feet, and I still drag toes in some corners. Riding on the balls of your feet and pushing down on them helps to effectively lower your CG. That makes the bike more stable in the corner. It also helps you feel more of the feedback from the tires. When you are really in tune with your bike you can feel the tires gripping through the pegs.

You will be amazed at how good the corners feel when you ride with proper body position.

:beerchug:

And yes, Spies is a monkey. He's a very sick monkey. :laugh:

You know, I was just reading about footpegs and CG in the "Twist of the Wrist" books...never thought about it but makes perfect sense waiting for better weather to try it!

LOL, yea, the first time i dragged my knee at the track, it scared the crap out of me. Then after that initial diaper changing, I was good to go! LOL

Brendan, you are looking good dude! Take notice of how far forward your inside knee puck is, as well as the angle of your shoulders. Although I can't see your hips, I know you are rotating your hips around the tank "Perfect"! Get your head down a bit and you'll be looking like Spies :bowdown:

Last edited:
I wish that rear shot was me, but yes it is Ben Spies - FUTURE WORLD SUPERBIKE CHAMPION FOR 2009. He has titanium plates on his elbows.

I get pretty close to dragging my elbow on the track, but I won't push the Busa on the street like that.

And some people say the Busa won't corner. :whistle:

It's amazing they say that.

motivator3995963.jpg

brendan, you are looking good dude! Take notice of how far forward your inside knee puck is, as well as the angle of your shoulders. Although i can't see your hips, i know you are rotating your hips around the tank "perfect"! Get your head down a bit and you'll be looking like spies :bowdown:

someone please teach me master!:bowdown:

How do you guys ride? I'm always looking for tips being a new sportbike guy[/QUOTE]

Like a Bat out of hell on a 12 hr pass on his way to Daytona Beach during Spring Break. :laugh:

Ohhhhhhh is that not the type answer you were looking for. :banghead:

You need balls.......................................on the pegs, of course!

Copy of vegas day2-4.jpg blown up!.jpg

Man, those r some amazing pics. I dont know if i will ever be able to trust my tires as much as most of u. In town im always boot on the ball.

Another, sorry bout the watermark... For some reason, I didn't buy this one.... Looks good tho...

track4 (Medium).jpg

Actually, If you look at a tire that's made for our type of bike, Moto GP, AMA etc... there is more of the tire patch contacting the road when cornering, than when riding in a strait line, ie greater control in the corners. That's why when we run 1/4 mile drags, we'll take air out of our rear tires to get more of a contact patch for the strait line runs. If you what to see the limits of cornering and a save; check out Collin Edwards "The Save" on You Tube, Great stuff.:thumbsup:

Exactly. The 2nd ? would be: well, if there's more contact patch while leaned over, why are there still low sides, high sides, etc? A: cornering forces applied and the engine's ability to overwhelm a tire's total grip (i.e. too much throttle + lean angle).

balls of my feet on the pegs and balls on tank :laugh:
squeeze the tank with the knees and look thru for the exit
that shot of ben is sick

Last edited:
+1 I think you've got an answer to your question. I learned the hard way--got my toe caught between the pavement and the peg. I almost dumped the bike--besides making me scream like a girl in my helmet! As always---good advise on here!:thumbsup:

Back