How do you ride while cornering?

sweet tea man

Registered
Was talking to my brother over the weekend and noticed that he has a different style than i do.

When i'm riding, even in corners, my feet remain flat on the pegs. exactly as they would as if i were back on my cruiser.

He rides in corners with the ball of his foot on the peg. says he has better control in a corner and he wont run the risk of dragging his foot.

How do you guys ride? I'm always looking for tips being a new sportbike guy

I always ride with the ball of my feet on the pegs. In a hard corner, I will slide off the seat, put my head at my mirror, and on the off side, my foot will be slightly turned out as I press down on the inner peg making my turn.

Yep...ball of the foot on the peg. Just one of the elements in good cornering.

As you go deeper into a corner, you rotate the ball on the end of the peg. My Sidi race boots have a hole worn thru on them.
You take your foot off peg to shift, then back on the ball.:thumbsup:

Ball of the foot. As stated, just one of many things involved in the assembly of a good turn.

--Wag--

Just stretched mine so turning should be quite a new experience, ??? Havent tried the twisties since the stretch, Like to go straight though.... :thumbsup:

Actually your foot position doesn't make much difference until you start getting your bum off the bike. At that point you'll learn why it's important to have the pointy end of the peg in the center of the ball on your foot.

Like Brendan says, if you wear a hole in the sole on the ball of the foot, you are doing things right.

Actually your foot position doesn't make much difference until you start getting your bum off the bike. At that point you'll learn why it's important to have the pointy end of the peg in the center of the ball on your foot.

Like Brendan says, if you wear a hole in the sole on the ball of the foot, you are doing things right.

+1 especially the last sentence my Oxstars are getting holes in them as well

The thing I notice is that when balls are on pegs, you can hook the outside heel into the guard above the peg more effectively with more positive-control. Also, it has been mentioned, that getting your butt moving also helps. I loft off the seat while rotating to allow by body weight and the momentum of the bike to equalize as I roll the nose back and forth. This, very simply, cannot be done while heels are hooked "flat" on pegs.

As you get more and more miles on your ride, "finesse" becomes half the fun !!! :super:

The pic explains why - look at my toe; just a little more and I'd have been in trouble. Didn't even notice it until I saw the pic, now I'm a little more careful about foot placement.

IMG_3747.jpg

Back