Cornering skill quiz?

So far no one has solved the quiz.

Think of the very first thing you do when entering a corner? It's by far the most important aspect of cornering.

Tomorrow (Sunday) we'll discuss the answer! :beerchug:

It's January and in most parts of the country our beloved two wheel machines are tucked away in the garage (I hate that Florida Rat we call Blanca Busa) where they will remain until the sun begins to peek it's warm rays of spring through the trees. (Except for Blanca, he has no trees but does have year around sun)

So, let's brush up on our riding skills via the keyboard. We all enjoy the wind in our face and the view of a twisty back road ahead. Here is the cornering question of the day:

What is first and formost the most important aspect of properly exicuting a corner/turn? Yes, there is one thing that stands out above all others that most cornering gurus will agree cannot be overlooked.

So what is this confidence inspiring gift that makes corner carving a breeze? :whistle:

speed?

I will let you know later after my buds and I go riding the back roads down here in south florida

Last edited:
Go into the turn with the front end unloaded from braking entry and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

I'll also add get off the bike to keep the bike as upright through the turn as possible. (Biggest contact patch)

Last edited:

Think of the very first thing you do when entering a corner? It's by far the most important aspect of cornering.
Approach the turn! LOL!

After that, don't crash. (oh my gosh!)

Tomorrow (Sunday) we'll discuss the answer! :beerchug:

I'm sure you've told me this before SteveO, but actually, I think it's "look where you wanna go".....

Being able to see through the corner. If you cannot see you cannot plan and if you cannot plan you cannot execute.

Go into the turn with the front end unloaded from braking entry and LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO.

I'll also add get off the bike to keep the bike as upright through the turn as possible. (Biggest contact patch)

it was mentioned ( in other thread "so you wanna get your knee down" ) that hangin way off the bike like that makes the rider hang on to the bars too much and is easier to fall off with your arse hangin out there. in a video * in that thread * it states hip position and gripping the tank with the opposite leg. I have seen riders hangin their butts off like that and wondered how they can properly steer. btw, about the contact patch... isn't that why we pay thet big $$$ for great tires that have grip even at full lean? just my .02

Last edited:
Firts thing for you is to look at my plate because you want to look where you want to go and you will be behind me so just watch my plate:laugh::poke::moon:

Firts thing for you is to look at my plate because you want to look where you want to go and you will be behind me so just watch my plate:laugh::poke::moon:

As Tuf goes buy you and reaches over and flicks your helmet as he goes by at a buck-fifty....:laugh:

Yep, thats it...you'll think your fast till an instructor hands you your arse going into and through a turn.

LINE CHOICE!

We had a few guys nibbling around the edges but no one came up with the proper answer "Line Choice"!

The common denominator for everything you do during a corner is Line Choice. I'm surprised none of you fellas that purchased Keith Code's dvd "Twist of the Wrist II" didn't come up with the proper answer. Keith has an entire segment on Line Choice and lists 11 different aspects of cornering that is directly affected including speed, lean angle, throttle, entry and exit points, just to name a few.

The faster you go the more important line choice becomes. When corner speeds reach the FAST level, lines are so important that one can only give up a foot or two, sometimes less and stay on the pavement. Consistency on lines is detrimental to going fast. At high speed one cannot change lines in the middle of the stream. Once tipped in your line is established and you cannot add lean angle to steer to the inside and if you steer to the outside you run out of pavement on the exit.

For those of you who are interested in improving "Getting the lean on" segment of your riding skills, I'd suggest Code's dvd "Twist of the Wrist II". The acting is poor but you'll get more than your $35 worth of info.

Most of us are guilty of pursuing lean angle and we crave more and more of it. However, in the real world lean angle is only a small factor in our quest for speed.

I think the next question quiz will be on how to read a knee puc. Yes, you can tell a great deal about a riders abilities by reading his knee puc :whistle:

Making sure i've chosen the correct gear prior to laying her over so that i can accelerate through the curve right at or shortly after the point of entrance..so i can "Power Through" the curve..keeping a constant roll of acceleration without upsetting the chassis/suspension...so..answer?

"Making Sure I'm In The Proper Gear"

and these days?..i like to stay a gear higher than i think..takes some of the twichyness out of all that busa torque as i roll it on.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

Back