Another fun quiz on cornering :-)

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Let's say we are executing a corner while sitting square in the middle of the seat like most of us do on the streets. If we tuck in low behind the windshield which lowers our center of gravity does this increase or decrease our effective lean angle? If you would like to elaborate as to why, please do so. :beerchug:

Keep in mind your body remains in the centerline of the bike.

i dont think the lean angel will change but as the gravity gets lower it'll turn easier...? i'll try it today LOL

My head hurts. I'm using my brain all too often lately. :laugh: Lower center of gravity= better cornering (?)

lean1_zps90ea0f96.jpg

lean2_zpse4cb4d10.jpg

lean3_zps7b66543e.jpg

lean4_zps4caac765.jpg

lean5_zpsc00a2da0.jpg

^^^^
"Furthermore, with equal cross sections of the tires, to describe the same turn with the same forward velocity, a motorcycle with a low center of gravity needs to be tilted more than a motorcycle with a higher center of gravity."

lean6_zpsf9a33839.jpg

If this is incorrect Tuff don't argue with me please forward your objections to Vittore Cossalter professor of Applied Mechanics at the University of Padova.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Cheers
ken

P.S. His use of the term effective lean is used in the context of tire width.

kml: My head hurts, all I see is "blah blah blah MOTORCYCLE" :)

Arguing with you Ken is like arguing with a fence post, cause facts aint gonna change yore mind! :tongue:

So, after your google explanation of roll angle, does the effective lean angle increase or decrease when the rider tucks in behind the windscreen? Maybe a simple explanation of your own would be sufficient.

The answer can be as simple as a single sentence.

Arguing with you Ken is like arguing with a fence post, cause facts aint gonna change yore mind! :tongue:

So, after your google explanation of roll angle, does the effective lean angle increase or decrease when the rider tucks in behind the windscreen? Maybe a simple explanation of your own would be sufficient.

The answer can be as simple as a single sentence.

I didn't google it I looked it up in my copy of Motorcycle Dynamics. It was just easier to snip the relevant information off the web than attempt to photo the pages of my copy.

And what is not factual about my post?

Your facts trump Professor Cossalter facts? Why is that?

cheers
ken

Okay Ken, you win!

Explain to us mere mortals what all that motorcycle dynamics means in layman's terms.

Here is the question once more: Does lowering the center of gravity while sitting it the middle of the motorcycle increase or decrease "EFFECTIVE" lean angle when the rider tucks in behind the wind screen?

Now I made it simple, how bout you trying that?

Okay Ken, you win!

Explain to us mere mortals what all that motorcycle dynamics means in layman's terms.

Here is the question once more: Does lowering the center of gravity while sitting it the middle of the motorcycle increase or decrease "EFFECTIVE" lean angle when the rider tucks in behind the wind screen?

Now I made it simple, how bout you trying that?

Assuming a tire with no width, and all other variables to remain constant, lowering the center gravity in the plane of the motorcycle will not increase roll angle.

Assuming a tire with width, and all other variables to remain constant, lowering the center of gravity in the plane of the motorcycle will increase roll angle.

Take a second to actually read the information posted.

:beerchug:

cheers
ken

I have never heard the term "Roll angle". is that lean angle?

Correct.

lean8_zps03add40f.jpg

While not in direct consideration of your question our term of effective lean is referred to in this text as displacement of the center of gravity, same idea slightly different terms. :)

lean9_zpsbfab8c42.jpg

lean10_zps6da8494b.jpg

lean11_zps728c448f.jpg

It's clear from boths texts that roll and lean are interchangeable.

Cheers
ken

KML please post a nice dish that you have cooked....they always look so good...tasty if you will...

Ken, if you put a smiley after your posts at least I'd know you were being funny, but I have not a clue what you are trying to say and I'd bet cash that no one else who has read this thread does either?

KML please post a nice dish that you have cooked....they always look so good...tasty if you will...

Well here's a plate of whole wheat buttermilk pancakes with fresh blackberries finished with a maple syrup bourbon carmilized apple compote.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cheers
ken

IMG_1979.jpg

lean angle should be reduced as the center of gravity will be lower and aero will be better, thus there should be more available traction and more speed.

Back