Discussion 1. Is this appropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an error I was speaking of brooke vs christie...not that it matters much but I recall it being a scandal in its day

I agree to a point. I agree totally with the part about the kids as I see it with my son that is 21 now.

sent from Bama using tapatalk

I should have stated that the older generations opinions both for and against those types of things probably have not changed as much as the social environment allows or prevents them from publicly voicing those opinions. Those against are afraid of the social repercussions and those for have found just about any way they can to vocalize their support. Our country has become entirely too PC and afraid to offend people to allow folks to publicly voice negative opinions. Thats not just the topics you pointed out, its anything that goes against the main stream media.

I wouldn't want my child portrayed in this way on any advertisement, and I don't even think its appropriate for this discussion. How do we know one of our members isn't a creep that likes this type of stuff. I'm not saying it is illegal, since it isn't. I'm saying its gross. And not any less gross than someone making a comment about a 10 year old due to what they are wearing at the fair, or at a volleyball game, etc. The 16, 17 year olds know exactly what they are doing when they wear what they wear. These kids don't get it. They see the women in the magazines dressed like that and want to be like them, nothing more.
Can we ask why you are asking? Is your daughter/niece/friend's kid doing something of this sort? Or are you looking to weed out the weirdos here?

I totally agree with GsxrBots on this one.

Don't forget that boys are put under this same pressures from society. People act as if this is something only the lady's deal with. But young boys are taught that you have to be cut chiseled body and be into sports and aggressive to be cool sexy or accepted.

This child pageantry isn't new by any means also this has been around since my grandparents generation. It was accepted then and now.

Yes, you are right in that aspect, I just tend to see and hear more about women with anorexia etc. And I guess that men are also taught to not voice their feelings about such things. It has been some personal experience that some men just don't really give a crap how they look and in their minds are a stunning, ripped example of a man. I will never venture to say that all men are like this in the way that not all women are psychos (we've ALL had our examples of those!!!!!!!!!) LOL Just going on what I see from my side of the fence. I see I'm gonna have to figure out how to get internet access over the weekend to keep on this thread...... :hmmm:

The pics are totally inappropriate. They are portraying this little girl as a woman and it's completely wrong. She does not have the mental capability to handle the kind of attention this will surely bring to her.

To stir the pot...and only that...how can they air a kids model show in bathing suits + evening gowns? It is a matter of marketing...if a girl is at the pool / beach in a bathing suit that is ok...on tv it is questionable...most likley it will be in poor taste...or atleast without regard for the childs best interest.

Last edited:
I thinks it's absolutely horrible! Fuel for pedophiles in my opinion.
The black & white photo is of Brooke Shields when she was young, and there was a lot of controversy over that.
Let babies be babies, they will face the pressures of society and life later on. My :2cents:

these kind of pics, the "modeling agencies" that support them and the tv shows like toddlers in tiaras are nothing more than some pedophiles way of tiptoeing around the law and pushing thier form of soft core child pron, there are sites that walk a very fine line as far as thier content goes and almost make these pictures look appropriate and its disgusts me that people can get away with it, its even more disgusting that the parents are too stupid to realize what they are pushing thier kids into, ive had this same discussion on other forums and am going to stop my 2cents at i think its all pretty effed up

The pics are totally inappropriate. They are portraying this little girl as a woman and it's completely wrong. She does not have the mental capability to handle the kind of attention this will surely bring to her.

I dont know how to make the last sentence in red like you did for me.:laugh:
I think the sad part then is if it does bring any attention at all, that it would be from a `sick` person. I look at the picture and think its wrong and disaprove...and thats about all I guess.
Not sure where I was wanting to go with this...I guess I`m a man and I like girls...(ask any a my guy or a few female friends, and they`ll tell ya!) but I dont look at a little girl in a bad way..or feel its sad..IDK

edit- should read I feel its sad

I have a 10 year old daughter. Totally inappropriate and in bad taste. I'd like to punch out the idiot that had this idea. There's a huge difference between a young woman (i'm talking about legal adults here) and a child - and those are clearly children. The parents ought to be flogged publicly.

Yes I agree our society is stealing childhood away before they have any clue how to deal with it.

It's the pervert's plan (just like the homosexual agenda); shock, de-senstizie, protest, gain legal acknowledgement, gain public sympathy, gain public acceptance. Once you open Pandora's box, you can't hardly put the lid on it. Look at that bunch in Utah that are now suing to make polygamy legal (because they SURELY shouldn't be discriminated against since we now legalized homosexual marriage) - every pervert in the country will now make how THEIR perversion is just. BIG MISTAKE.

Somewhere, some pervert is getting off on these....better hope the law finds him before I do...

To further de-rail the topic...on the news there was a bit discussing grandparents rights over parents rights...when looking at kids who have kids...minors who have custody of a minor...it is a big deal in hospitals + many decisions while the young child in growing up with a minor as a parent...single at that. In any case the decision should be in the best interest of the child.

I'm not comfortable with it, why don't they just let the Kids be Kids, your only young for such a short time then you are out in the big wide world.

Are you going to share any of your thoughts captain?
I see many post I agree with...seem like the general consensus is it`s wrong and immoral,
I like the comment the parents need counceling!

everywher we support this by haveing " little miss" pagents or baby pagents...all in the direction of derailing the childs self esteem n puffing up the parents. i do not support the process as it leads to uncountable injurys both to the child and society!! let kids be kids for gosh sakes

I'm thinking closer to her "Pretty Baby" days.

Yeap - knew who it was right away - those eyebrows give it away :laugh:

I've actually met her in person briefly, and did a bit of drooling (of course that was many years after that pic lol)

Anyway, the advertisements are showing young girls in sexually provocative poses, while just staying within the law. Not sure who those ads are aimed at, young ladies, or pedos?

Is it appropriate? Not really

Do I think they are being abused? Not really

Would I let my kid do it? Hell no.

I heard a simular conversation on the radio yesterday morning. One argument for it was is it better for parents to do this or to not spend time with their children which is even more rampant in the States?

I heard a simular conversation on the radio yesterday morning. One argument for it was is it better for parents to do this or to not spend time with their children which is even more rampant in the States?

That's what I call "Framing the question to make it the lesser of 2 evils in order to get the response you want" - question...

Understood Gpmo that YOU didnt' say this, but you heard it on the radio..

I envision a photographer doing this to express his or her version of 'art', and unfortunately, seems lately the lines are blurred when it comes to what's appropriate vs what's really pushing the limits of what's moral in society today. I blame it on a society filled with the desire to push an ideal of "beauty" on girls from a very, very young age. I'm already seeing very young girls around me, girls that are barely out of elementary school, struggling with weight issues when they have NO weight issues, self-esteem problems when they should be worry free kids.

Those of you that have watched Toddlers and Tiaras know what I'm talking about...there's an insatiable appetite out there to make kids strive for some unattainable and unnatural goals as babies, pushed by overzealous parents with very misconstrued values of what's important in a child's life. This poor girl shown in this most recent ad is being subjected to things she should never even know about at such a young age. She's now the object of some sickos twisted fantasies and desires, and her parents sleep at night only knowing she's making 'em a few bucks at the expense of her innocence. What a sad world we live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back