Yoshimura slip on incentive from Suzuki

Dookoo

Registered
The dealer was pretty cool and didn't know about the incentive when I bought the bike originally. He called me last week and said I had a choice of $400 customer cash or the slip ons. I chose the Carbon/Carbon slip ons. Question for those of you who also chose the slip on option: How long did it take for the dealership to get them? I can't wait...

I think they originally told me 4-6 weeks and it was right around 5. It happened to show up the same weekend as the parts for the ABS recall so when the dealer dropped the bike back off the exhaust was installed.

Gonz

I think they originally told me 4-6 weeks and it was right around 5. It happened to show up the same weekend as the parts for the ABS recall so when the dealer dropped the bike back off the exhaust was installed.

Gonz

Dont mean to thread jack here but when you got your bike back after the ABS recall were the brakes spongy? The dealer installed the ABS recall the same day I bought the bike and I think they were rushing to get it done. I always thought Brembo's were very good brakes until I rode my busa with them. Im hoping its not how they really are and I just need to bleed them.

The dealer was pretty cool and didn't know about the incentive when I bought the bike originally. He called me last week and said I had a choice of $400 customer cash or the slip ons. I chose the Carbon/Carbon slip ons. Question for those of you who also chose the slip on option: How long did it take for the dealership to get them? I can't wait...

Who didn't you or the dealer? How convenient to "not know". I wonder how many out there pull the same crap over on people?
How can you(the dealer) not know what the manufacturer has out there as incentive/perks for buying....I'd raise the BS flag but i cannot seem to locate the BS smiley...

Dont mean to thread jack here but when you got your bike back after the ABS recall were the brakes spongy? The dealer installed the ABS recall the same day I bought the bike and I think they were rushing to get it done. I always thought Brembo's were very good brakes until I rode my busa with them. Im hoping its not how they really are and I just need to bleed them.

I bought a 2012 just because I did not want ABS. I suppose I'm one of the few that am plenty happy with the brakes. I pretty much one finger brake on my aggressive street rides (normally 250-350 miles) and used two during a track day. I have a Laguna Seca track day next month and I'm sure they will do fine. I do not consider brakes to be the limiting factor on the Busa as much as suspension set up and better tires.

Who didn't you or the dealer? How convenient to "not know". I wonder how many out there pull the same crap over on people?
How can you(the dealer) not know what the manufacturer has out there as incentive/perks for buying....I'd raise the BS flag but i cannot seem to locate the BS smiley...

Regardless, the dealership did call me and gave me the choice. I believe it was an honest mistake and from what I can tell, American Suzuki let the dealership know about the additional incentive. Now I got zero percent financing and the Yoshi slip on's. I also think that I bought the Busa in the beginning of summer, when the $400 customer cash or Yoshimura slip on incentive was just introduced. The dealership sells Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprillia, Ducati, Kawasaki, Vespa and Piaggio so I'm sure that keeping track of all the deals from all the different manufacturers can be difficult. Maybe this is the reason why I keep buying from this particular dealership, Penninsula Power Sports in Seaside/Monterey, Ca.

They are selling parts...giving you a benefit looking / fishing for future service money....slip ons are cool...you lose a bit of weight and get a better sound / look

Regarding the brake question, I didn't notice any huge difference before/after the work. However, I was riding my 2007 during the couple week down time so it's pretty hard to compare. They seem fine though.

RYC1966 - The sound improvement is debatable, though I haven't tried removing the baffles yet. ;) They're certainly eye candy and the weight difference is staggering. When they handed me back my old cans I was shocked by how much they weigh.

Later,
Gonz

I'm pretty sure the ones the dealer gave you would have to be the EPA compliant version. My guess is they are more restrictive than the race version. If you don't replace the header it shouldn't make a difference though. You are right, the weight savings is huge. Take out them baffles if you can because even the race ones are pretty tame compared to some of the other exhausts out there but they sound amazing.

Don't forget, you will have to repack them every 8-10K miles. You can send them in or do it yourself (it's a pain but not too hard). If you don't, that pretty carbon fiber will lose it's shine and turn brown. The end cap will turn bronze colored regardless because there is no insulation between it and the metal end cap. The stockers don't need repacking because the baffles are metal and that is what makes them so heavy.

Enjoy your bike!

Two weeks later, I received the Yoshi slip-ons from the dealership. They are EPA compliant but have straight baffles with a db insert. From what I can see, its the same R-77 as my buddies non-EPA slip-on. The insert bolt is welded on but I will grind off the weld after my Laguna Seca trackday this friday. Nice low tone from the slip-ons. I've been blackflagged several times at Laguna for sound violations (full Sato's on my avatar 1000) so I'll see if the Busa passes with the db inserts. I'm bringing my stock pipes just in case, but I can't wait to remove the baffles to hear the difference. A $1200 slip-on for free so I'm definitely not complaining!
Yoshis.jpg

A couple of comments. I bought the 13 Busa and was REALLY torn because I didn't really want the ABS. I had a great deal on a 2012 but when I saw the 2013 in white in person....I said sign me up! Now I also opted for the full carbon slip on's and I am in week3-4 and haven't gotten them yet and I have been bugging the dealer constantly! ;) Thank god he puts up with me because I hate stock exhaust! I am told I should have them beginning of next week. Anyone know of a thread on how to modify the EPA compliant pipes to give them the regular sound? Good luck DOOKOO! I will keep you posted when I get mine!!

Modifying the EPA compliant pipe looks easy. However, you have to take the endcap off to grind off the weld that secures the quiet insert. This means you have to order new rivets and reseal the endcap. I may try to reach the weld with a die grinder but it looks like a tight squeeze. If I can do this, it will be an easy fix to remove the insert. Its my guess that the EPA compliant pipe is the same R-77 everyone else has with the exception that the quiet insert is made permanent by welding the (removable) allen screw to the baffle. I'll let you know this coming weekend when I try to remove the insert.

Got mine and sold off as soon as there where here.
Full Brocks Dual CT coming soon!

Warning! Those rivets you get from Yosh are Stainless steel and you need a helluva rivet tool to pop them. If you don't have a heavy rivet gun go to harbor freight and get their HD model for 25 bucks. I broke my neighbors Sears heavy rivettool on the first rivet but the HF tool works great.

Ok, I was able to drill out the screw to remove the 'permanent' sound inserts from the Yoshimura EPA R-77's. To dispel any myths, these R-77's are the same as the race R-77's once the insert is removed. I suppose to make them EPA compliant, the insert bolt had to be welded as a condition for the EPA stamp of approval. The pipes sound fantastic with a nice low rumble and growl, but not obnoxious. Now I have to drill through the insert and re-tap it so that I can insert it during Laguna Seca track days because of their sound requirements. Again, how can I argue with free slip-ons from Suzuki/Yoshimura!

Thanks for the heads up I didn't know about this until I read it here thought they were the same as the race version. Did you end up pulling of the cap ?

No, just drilled through the top of the screw and used a small punch to knock it out towards the center of the insert. The insert then just slides right out.

No, just drilled through the top of the screw and used a small punch to knock it out towards the center of the insert. The insert then just slides right out.

Drilled mine out too. Took a bit of work to get through the drilling, but once you're through you can pull the baffles out with needle nose pliers easily enough.

I doubt much if any at all. It was free and I dropped at least 10-15 lbs (only a guess). Looks amazing compared to the stock cans and I still can run Laguna Seca track days and not get meatballed for sound violations.

Back