Would you trailer your bike with this?

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
~CLICK TO SEE EBAY LISTING~

I'm thinking about getting this to trailer my bike but once you see it, you'll see exactly why I have my doubts.

What do you guys and gals think about it?

fa_1.jpg

53_1.jpg

47_1.jpg

2c_1.jpg

Those things are what $300?

For a couple of hundred more you can get a trailer that can be used for other things as well.

Seems to me that would put a tounge load on your tow vehicle of somewhere around 600 lbs and move the weight distribution back behind the rear axle. Most vehicles won't handle it well, if at all.

and what if you get rear-ended... the bike is history. Even an open trailer has a bit more protection all around than that set-up.

I have a Avalanche so I doubt the weight would be a problem. I know I can get a trailer but I'd prefer something that'll take up less space and would allow me to park (even if I have to remove it and toss it in the bed).

My main purpose to getting it is so that I can drop off the bike for servicing or repair without having to get it up so high into the bed. It can be done with some help, but because of my work schedule I'm usually home when all of my family and friends are at work. Therefore I need something I can manage on my own. I can do it with a regular trailer as Bluehaya mentioned, but I prefer to not lug one around. Long story short, the area I take my bike to get serviced is Key Largo (beautiful area of South Florida). I usually drop off the bike and drive around, grab some food, or checkout a movie. It'll be kinda hard to park with a trailer.

(LCB @ Apr. 13 2007,20:54) and what if you get rear-ended... the bike is history. Even an open trailer has a bit more protection all around than that set-up.
Now you see why I'm debating it so.
coffee.gif

Not on a bet! I bought a nice 5'X10' ramp trailer that I towed my busa around with as well as my lawnmower, lumber, dirt, leaves,tools, washer, new couch etc. You get the point. I'm with BlueHaya all the way! For just a little more you can have a piece of equipment you can do so many other things with, and haul your baby the right way. Only consideration I can think of is if you have room to store a trailer. I also agree with Busawhipped that 600 lbs. is too much tounge weight. My 8'X20' trailer only has 400 lbs. tounge weight loaded with 4 busas and a complete shop!

(GSXcite @ Apr. 13 2007,21:04) Only consideration I can think of is if you have room to store a trailer.
That is indeed an issue but one I can more than likely get around.

The bike, Avalanche, and carrier pictured in the ad belonged to a board member here. I think his screen name on here is Rocketmanokc. He originally bought it and then had a few upgrades done to it. The company that makes them in El Reno, added the changes in the design. I saw it used quite a few times to haul it to the strip here. He has since bought a tow hauler trailer to use. It works, not my first choice but it would work if needed.

Thanks for the info Professor. Was there any particular reason he opted to no longer use it?

pward76:
I thought about that. I just wasn't sure if they have some sort of policy against that. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.

A trailer parked in a space is no different than your truck sitting there waiting for the service dept to do what they gotta do. Just get a good tongue lock for it and have a nice day.

wow.gif
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
wow.gif

Do you need an explaination other than the fact that this just doesn't seem safe.

What happens if a strap pops?
rock.gif
It hits the road.

It happens. I had a strap break and dump my race bike over on the trailer. If I had been using something like that the bike would have been history.

wow.gif

With a trailer one person could load/unload.
With this it would require more help (unlees you are really good at going down the skinny ramp BACKWARDS!)

Yes I would but I would look at harbor freight fold up trailers pretty hard. But to just to go back and forth to a bike shop sure. From key largo to the Deals Gap probably put it in the bed of the truck first. Probably make a good hurricane evacuator though. Good luck

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

You can find a good used trailer for just a bit more.

Way to many risk variables with that set-up.

Back