Thoughts on bike trailers?

If you can cut and weld modify a jet ski trailer...or other utility trailer to suit your needs...the little ones have small dia wheels...and dance around when you are driving 60+ mph...the aluminum are nice...light and you get what you pay for = higher quality...probably no cheap / junky aluminum trailers. Feather light, haulmark, renegade and other custom brands may give you some ideas if you decide to modify a basic trailer.

I dig this trailer!! What is the cost for this fine piece of equipment... :whistle:

The single I bought new was over $2,000

The dual I bought used, it's about 10 years old and cost me $1,000,

My buddy just bought a new dual and has all the options it was around $3,500. But it's stores up right and out of the way in the garage.

Google Kendon trailers.

I rescued my old Katana from 100 miles away (broke down) for less than $350. A Harbor Freight Folding Utility Trailer $250 (w/ coupon) a sheet of plywood a chock some tie downs and straps, less than $100. Worked good, weighs about 250 lbs and folds up and out away when not in use! Good for runs to Home Depot as well! Took about half a day to assemble it! You're welcome to borrow it anytime!

image-373652162.jpg

I rescued my old Katana from 100 miles away (broke down) for less than $350. A Harbor Freight Folding Utility Trailer $250 (w/ coupon) a sheet of plywood a chock some tie downs and straps, less than $100. Worked good, weighs about 250 lbs and folds up and out away when not in use! Good for runs to Home Depot as well! Took about half a day to assemble it! You're welcome to borrow it anytime!

I have the same trailer with a different stand, i buy dirt bikes and this what i use to transport them around, i tow with a 2012 mazda3 skyactiv, i havent had any issues but never tried the busa on it. best part is that it folds and it stores up right so if i dont get to the storage in time i fold it and park right in front of my car, it takes about 3x6 ft of space when folded

this is the mount i have, the previos owner had someone made a bracket to be easy to take out. but there are some other ones that
U.S. General Motorcycle Stand - webBikeWorld

AHH!! So many options! Im kinda torn between the HF trailer and the like for the price and it'll get the job done. I almost want one of the nicer ones to paint white and hit the car show and Water Fest with. White STi pulling a white Busa on a white trailer with some decent wheels would be alright.:coolcool:

The single I bought new was over $2,000

The dual I bought used, it's about 10 years old and cost me $1,000,

My buddy just bought a new dual and has all the options it was around $3,500. But it's stores up right and out of the way in the garage.

Google Kendon trailers.

Sounds good thanks.

I have the same trailer, it works good for me so far, had mine set up for 2 bikes and traveled 1200 miles with two 600cc with no problem :thumbsup:
I let someone use it to travel 1500 miles with a 600cc and 1k :beerchug:

I also had to use it to rescue the busa one time :banghead:

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas, I think I'm going the custom route. The materials will be about the same as the smallest landscape trailer Lowes has,,which would still need to be modded to work. I spent the evening with a mechanically inclined friend drawing up a rough sketch and tossing ideas around. We've decided on a trailer with a C-channel center rail, a single axle with fenders, an integrated front chock and a pretty low stance. A little white and silver paint to match the bike and car too,,may as well look good in transit. Im hoping.to get a set of STi wheels for it, but the bolt pattern is the same as some cheap 5 lug GM wheels so we'll start there. I'll get a thread up once we've made some progress with it. I must say,,I'm pretty excited for how it'll all turn out.

Threw this together one time in a pinch. I think trailer(4X6) was like $400 at TSupply, chock $30 HFreight. Good thing was trailer was a tilt, so it was as simple as pulling pin,dropping traler and driving bike right on. One man operation, no ramps. it would lock into chock and you can simply strap it down and go. I cut railing and mounted chock(to trailer bed so it raised up with trailer when tilted)) but protruding up into tongue area to get weight forward of axle, if not even with bike angled it was a little light on tongue so this way worked out good. Towed excellent and you didn't even know it was back there even at highway (70-80mph) speeds. Used it a couple times with bikes,riding mowers and misc and then sent it away when guy stopped by and gave me $650 for it because he wasn't mechanical enough to cut and add the chock himself.

And as you can see from pic it would still easily fit a stretched bike on length. Under $500 new, so I'm sure you could find a used trailer and do the same or similar for a good bit less than that. Have you a nice little bike trailer plus regular trailer with sides if needed pretty economically. Sure it can have been done nicer but just showing you it is easy to make something that works good,looks decent for not much money and has multi purpose.

DSCN8949.jpg

DSCN8947.jpg

:bump:

I have thought about getting a trailer so that the wife & I could take some road trips and take the bike with us. However, I'd need some sort of trailer that folds up so as not to have a large footprint as I'd probably have to keep it in storage..

:bump:

I have thought about getting a trailer so that the wife & I could take some road trips and take the bike with us. However, I'd need some sort of trailer that folds up so as not to have a large footprint as I'd probably have to keep it in storage..

Get a Kendon trailer. It folds up and then you can stand it up. It takes very little space in the garage.

had my eye on this but not cheap.....
Corp Hydraulic Motorcycle Trailers.wmv - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
This one works good for me.:laugh: Don't think a 4 cyl. will tow it though.

Attachments

• trailer recent.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,028
Back