Thinking about purchasing, any thoughts on this bike?

Fusion_GTX

Registered
Hello all,

So I'm thinking about finally going for a 2004 Hayabusa. Been fascinated by this bike for a good while but wanted to get some experience under my belt(About 4 years now) before making the plunge.

The bike I'm currently looking at is at a local dealer and I was just hoping to get some opinions. The bike has close to 20k miles, but still looks like it's in really good shape from the pictures. I've done business with this place before and they're a good group of people, if maybe on the slightly higher side of pricing but service wise they've always done well by me.

I would likely be doing a trade in on my cruiser that I never ride anymore which is a 2004 Honda VTX1300. This isn't my only riding experience, I've ridden a number of bikes including an 03 VFR800(Owned), 09 FZ6, 11 R6, and a smattering of other cruiser/sport bikes.(My riding group trades vehicles quite often) So all in all I feel like I'm ready for what this bike has to offer.

Bike: 2004 Suzuki GSX 1300R
Asking Price: $5,395.00*

Any input you can offer is appreciated, either towards this being a fair price, or things to worry about with this year, or maybe bike in particular. Looking forward to reading what you say and hopefully picking up a new ride.

Thanks

Their price is in the middle of what KBB sz it's worth, so that's not bad especially from a dealer but, dealers selling used bikes always make money because they didn't give the owner anything close to what he wanted, as you'll find out if you try trading in your cruiser on it. You might try selling the Honda outright to see if you can get more than the dealer will offer.

Price seems a little on the high side, but if you intend to trade your VTX at the dealer you are pretty much stuck there. Selling your bike would give you the best position but I am sure you know that. Looks to have an Akropovic pipe on it and I would presume a Power commander? With 20K on the clock it may or may not be ready for consumables like clutch, brake pads, fork seals, Chain and sprockets etc. If it has been maintained well and not raced the engine should be fine. Judging by the color of the brake fluid in the reservoirs it looks like it has been a while since those were flushed and bled, but that is normal stuff. Looks like it is still running the rubber brake hoses so I would personally jettison those post haste. Make sure the Dealer has the rear hump as it is not shown in the pictures.

Did you notice the difference in the pics of the pipe? One shows it scraped hard at the front and the other shows no damage. If it was scraped while on the bike the right side fairing was probably replaced as it looks perfect.

All good information to know. I figured I'd take a look at the seals and chain/sprocket when I go take a look at the bike. I haven't seen what the dealer will offer me for my bike, this is going to determine if I take the time to list it myself or take the easy route of getting trade value. In regards to brake pads and clutch, what's the easiest way to tell if these are getting to the edge of their life? Brakes(visually?) and clutch feel? I guess I'm not sure what I'm looking for there.

I haven't read anything about the brake hoses, I'll dig through the forums to see what's going on there. If you're willing to expand on that, it could certainly help as well.

So the rear hump from what I've seen is just a cover for the passenger seat, is the main benefit as something to put weight on if you're throttling hard? Either way, that's definitely a good question that I wouldn't have thought to ask.

Did you notice the difference in the pics of the pipe? One shows it scraped hard at the front and the other shows no damage. If it was scraped while on the bike the right side fairing was probably replaced as it looks perfect.

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that earlier.

Thank you for pointing that out, I completely missed that from the pics.

The hump doesn't cover the seat it replaces it. As for the clutch, only riding it will tell you it's condition. My 06 with over 50K on it has the original clutch and it works just fine. Drag launching is what hurts the clutch. I also didn't replace my front brake lines with braided SS lines until 50K. Look into that muffler scrape.

do NOT buy a used Busa from a dealer. they got it for $3500 and now charging u $5300. buy a low mile newer model for less money. there are 1000's of em out there. don't get suckered into a dealer cause they happen to be local to you. don't see a cowl included either.

So having that same year Purple And Black cant see the Purple on tail and fairings for some reason only on the tank, and as Brett said dealer paid low for that bike

Thanks for pointing out the purple on the tank not on fairings. Definitely another point in favor of it having gone down and fairings just replaced. I think I'll probably do what was suggested and get my bike sold private for the extra money and put it towards a newer(less miles) bike.

Thanks for the info everyone, all good things to know when shopping around! I'm sure you'll hear from me again, hopefully soon with pics of a new ride :)

Thanks for pointing out the purple on the tank not on fairings. Definitely another point in favor of it having gone down and fairings just replaced. I think I'll probably do what was suggested and get my bike sold private for the extra money and put it towards a newer(less miles) bike.

Thanks for the info everyone, all good things to know when shopping around! I'm sure you'll hear from me again, hopefully soon with pics of a new ride :)

Yeah if the fairings are just black then its been down , Could be new fairings but why not match them to the tank if they are OEM . You can find a low mile Busa in stock form not many but their out there

I'm a little concerned about the oil spots on the ground under it. I'm sure their reason will be either that they were already there or it is road oil from a fresh wash of the bike. I tend not to believe that as a general rule (without being there to inspect personally). Also, the rear cowl adds to the aerodynamics of the bike when riding solo. If you ride it with a backseat and then the cowl later, you will be able to tell a difference. The cowl also is hollow and can be used for storage to some degree. I often use it for a sweater or gauntlet gloves if I know I'm going to need them (or store them) later.

Absolutely correct, those are Chinese plastics off of ebay, they cost about 400 bucks and are not nearly as durable as the real deal. My guess is that this bike has been down hard. if you look it over closely you will find more than a scuffed exhaust. Probably a cracked engine or sprocket cover in the mix. Probably a reason the tank has a bra on it too.

low miles is anything under 10k and there plenty of them out there. most ppl have these as toys and if the owner lives up north he has maybe 7 months of riding and thats usually on the weekends. few ppl have em as DD's.

Some things you will get from a dealer that you won't get from a private party. Tags/title, state inspection, some type of warranty. Even a 30 day warranty will give you some piece of mind.

There is a reason PP sales are cheaper, they can sell you a lemon and you have no recourse.

Back