Trailer folks, your thoughts - Baxley chock vs Pitbull rear wheel restraint?

Bigdog5

Registered
I'm looking at a new way to tie down bikes in my trailer (6x10 Homesteader), I've seen too many folks bend bars or scratch fairings while using Canyon Dancers, etc.

I'm trying to decide between purchasing Baxley Chocks or the Pitbull Rear restraint. I know that the Pitbull's are model specific, but 90% of the time I would have two Busa's in the trailer anyway, both my wife an I have 08 Busa's.

Pros? Cons? Other ideas?

Use a front wheel chock and and the rear restraint, could go with a condor in the front if you want to trim cost.

If you use a wheel chock don't have to use the rear stand to setup the rear restraint and I don't trust a front wheel chock without straps, so the rear restraint seems like the ultimate tie down system

You will be much happier with the Baxley Chocks by themselves.
From every thing I have seen the rear restraint by itself would be very difficult.

I've been leaning toward the Baxley as well after doing research. How have you all mounted them in the trailer?

I've been leaning toward the Baxley as well after doing research. How have you all mounted them in the trailer?

I believe baxleys have an accessory that allows you to bolt it to the trailer floor and remove it also?

Dont quote me on that. I use a harbor freight chock and etracks in my trailer and works perfectly. And it was very cheap :laugh: :thumbsup:

No straps on the Pit Bulls, but is tricky to do by yourself. With that said. You don't have any stress on the bike at all and I have several thousand miles on this set up. Shown are my track bike and the Busa in case I wad up my Gixxer....:laugh:

IMAG0415.jpg

I'm looking at a new way to tie down bikes in my trailer (6x10 Homesteader), I've seen too many folks bend bars or scratch fairings while using Canyon Dancers, etc.

I'm trying to decide between purchasing Baxley Chocks or the Pitbull Rear restraint. I know that the Pitbull's are model specific, but 90% of the time I would have two Busa's in the trailer anyway, both my wife an I have 08 Busa's.

Pros? Cons? Other ideas?

Baxley all the way. Two bolts into the floor and it's in. Best part is you can easily remove the bolts and use then in the garage or anyplace. Get a few pieces of e track on the floor and you will never worry about the bikes :cool:

I believe baxleys have an accessory that allows you to bolt it to the trailer floor and remove it also?

Dont quote me on that. I use a harbor freight chock and etracks in my trailer and works perfectly. And it was very cheap :laugh: :thumbsup:

They do have a kit for like $50 but you can buy the same stuff at home depot for waaaaay less like 10%. The HF ones are ok but fixed mount generally and you could run into issues....just ask froggie about that :laugh:

Yes, my trailer is already outfitted with e-track, bought it that way 5 years ago! Just trying to upgrade from Canyon Dancers and old style Pingel wheel chocks to something better!

I'm still leaning towards Baxleys since one person can do the loading...

Baxleys!! As others have said - not only are they great in the trailer, but they are useful out of the trailer; I use 'em in the garage all the time.

As mentioned, they sell a kit, but for the price you can make your own. I picked up some 1" steel flat bar, 1/4" thick from my 'metal cut to length' supply house. I cut them each about 16" long and then drilled/tapped 'em for 1/4" bolts and also for the mounting bolts.

I then made a template and routed each one into the floor to recess 'em flush to the floor.

mount1.jpg

I initially made 3 plates for the Baxleys - one up for a single bike and two a little further back for two.

mount2.jpg

mount3.jpg

I later added two more for the chocks...just to move the bikes a little further back....I was hauling a longer bike for a friend and needed a little more room. The chocks are in the forward mounts here and you can see the two I added a little further back. Using the rear-most mounts, there is about 2" - 3" clearance from the rear of the Busa to the ramp door...just enough.

mount4.jpg

mount5.jpg

mount1.jpg

mount2.jpg

mount3.jpg

mount4.jpg

mount5.jpg

I like that.From what I have been told, you are not supposed to strap them down and compress the suspension.Mainly in the front.

the harbor freight chock is good, but it slides on concrete. it MUST be bolted down. the baxley will stay put. the baxley also looks better, weighs less and takes up less space. however you can get the harbor freight ones for say 50 bucks and the baxley is what 220 sure makes it easy to get the bike on the rear stand by yourself to clean the chain and wheel. so in a trailer where it would stay bolted down mostly id go for the harbor freight model and tie the rear end down. if your gonna use it elsewhere and move it out at the track, then id go for the baxley.

there is a thread on pix of baxley chocks in the sponsor area.

For $220 vs $50, well its like buying a cheap lid vs a good quality lid.

219931d1305170559-price-7x14-trailer-sany0990.jpg

I have both the Harbor Freight and Baxley Sport wheel chock. The HF is a sloppy fit, would never trust it in a moving vehicle, it slides all over trying to load the bike into it, its very wide, and its a pain to get the bike in and out of it. The Baxley holds the bike mega-tight with no slop at all, never slides, is super secure without being crazy wide, is easy to load the bike into/out of, and is a much higher quality piece than the HF. With some jury rigging the HF is okay for the garage....but I would never trust it in a moving trailer, even if it was bolted down with straps on the bike. The Baxleys more expensive, but designed for a sportbike size front tire, and well worth the money imo. The HF is designed for ALL bike front tires, the reason its such a loose, sloppy fit on a sportbike. And the savings with the HF would get eaten up fast the first time your bike went over for whatever reason :laugh:

Back