Building a trailer!

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
Ive been lookin for a trailer to haul the Busa to he bash and wherever else I feel like goin with it in bad weather. I looked at few online and at the local stores. None of them really fit my needs at the price point I was happy with. So, Im building one with the help of a mechanically and technically inclined friend.

We've ordered the steel, Ive got wheels and hubs and we've got a decent plan, tho Ive got a few questions. Below is an awesome drawing of what we plan on doin, dont worry, we have real, scale drawings too, but this will give ya the idea, kinda.

Axle is square tubing, main bike support is C-channel with a built in chock, the angled supports are more square stock. The axle will be relieved so the C-Channel will sit down into a bit and welded solid. All the joints will be welded and gusseted with plate steel. The steel thickness is all adequate and a bit overkill. Now my questions.

Does anyone see anything completely wrong, dangerous, or just a bad idea?

Where in relation to the bikes center should the axle be for proper weight on the tongue?

We're pretty well set on this basic design as materials have been ordered, but we have plenty of room to tweek it as we build. Remember, the drawing isnt to scale, just a visual reference so you'll have an idea of whats goin on. Pic is in the next post as well as idea of the overall goal beyond just a trailer. It'll be pulled by my STi, which is white, and the white Busa, and we're planning on painting the trailer white as well. Why not look good when hauling?:thumbsup:

Sweet drawing to give the idea of what we planned.

Untitled.jpg

6267385654_a178542982_o.jpg

the trailer in the pic is nice and if you make yours square you can make your rail moveable to allow for hauling 2 bikes or much more of anything else you might need to. you want suspension, tack everything togeather and make sure enerything is square before welding everything up. . mesure from the tounge to the same spot on each side of the axle to bouble check

Don't try to haul your bike on a trailer without suspension. You'll have to pull over every 5 min just to check your straps and fork seals.. At least I would.

Not sure why you don't just buy one of those folding ones at Harbor Freight. They are light as well. The Scooby can haul more than you think.. :beerchug:

Looks like we're gonna be working with the other design, I didnt even think about he straps coming loose. Thanks for the info guys:thumbsup:

Just something to think about...do you live around any lakes or large bodies of water? With your basic design you could check a boat dealer and see if there are any salvage lots around for boat trailers. They really work well for bike tire rails and most have a tilting bed design.

I picked one up fairly cheap a while back and had a tandem axle with tilting frame. I stuck two aluminum rails on top and used it for years for trips to the beach, etc. Mine had an upside down leaf spring that made the axles articulate. A speed bump at 3-4 mph could not even be felt and they work really well for the purpose.

Boat trailers come with an extra long nose so a saw saw brings it down in a jiffy.

I know you have already purchased a bunch of parts, but if you were to look at this route I'd say you would come out a lot cheaper than axles, hubs, etc if purchased new.

Here is the Rocket I have now for when the need arises. You could use the style as a template and add to it if you wish. Being the stand up design like the Kendon makes it simple to stand up and store in corner when not needed. All aluminum makes it light and it tows like a dream, you forget it's even back there. Have had it on a few trips behind the car and gotten a few oh sht moments from forgetting it's back there. Have hauled stock,stretched,fat tire & SM bikes no problem. Has built in ramp which drops down and locks up with a pin.

Funny I don't have a pic with a Busa on it. :laugh:

Rocket Stand Up Trailer

DSCN95832.jpg

DSCN96032.jpg

DSCN02142.jpg

Im lookin at torsion bar units now, they'll work with the current plan, but they dont come with hubs and Im not sure I can get the 5x100 hubs i need on them. The axle company didnt offer 5x100 either:banghead:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200335738_200335738?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Trailers%20%2B%20Trailer%20Parts-_-Trailer%20Axles-_-224221&ci_sku=224221&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CIHAov3e3rQCFQJx4AodRAEAXQ

Shouldnt have even bothered trying this and just bought a trailer at Lowes, seems I never learn that things dont seem to work out for me:banghead:

HA HA where is Russel, he can find you a Chazzo axle
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back