Working on a project - Anyone have access to heavy duty draw slides?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I'm trying to build a slide out bed for the truck. The design I have so far looks promising but I'm having a problem sourcing some heavy duty slides... thinking something that can handle oh, 700-800lbs with about a 36-48" slide. Anyone have a good resource for such things?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

A great resource is McMaster Carr, but they are business to business only,(you would need to open a business account). They have precision slides but very pricy. If you had pic of your concept it would help.

Have you considered a low profile steel dollie to support your sliding bed? perhaps the wheels could be guided by angle iron rails.

Here is a McMaster page with Equipment-Moving Slides, if this link takes you to their homepage, just keyword " Equipment-Moving Slides ".

Link:

McMaster-Carr

I have done quite a bit of fabrication, happy to give my 2cents if desired.

Below is a pic of my McMaster fabricated motorcycle ramp:

500TopSide.jpg

500Underside.jpg

500Clearance2.jpg

Whatever you end up using DO NOT TRUST YOUR TAILGATE CABLES!!!!!!! I own an atv aluminum ramp and I had the cables break on me when I was loading it in my truck.(99 silverado) That's a nice fab job ROBOT but it looks like it is heavy. You might want to consider taking off your tailgate when hauling your busa, I'm guessing that those cables are holding around 600-700 lbs. I just would hate to read about you dumping your busa trying to load it up. :2cents:

Whatever you end up using DO NOT TRUST YOUR TAILGATE CABLES!!!!!!! I own an atv aluminum ramp and I had the cables break on me when I was loading it in my truck.(99 silverado) That's a nice fab job ROBOT but it looks like it is heavy. You might want to consider taking off your tailgate when hauling your busa, I'm guessing that those cables are holding around 600-700 lbs. I just would hate to read about you dumping your busa trying to load it up. :2cents:

Good Info! Thanks:thumbsup:, I was not aware cables had been a problem, I kinda like the tailgate on for transport. Perhaps Ill replace cables with appropriate rated chain for transport/ or have 4x4 emergency support between bumper and gate.

Last edited:

Those cables were under recall for breaking. Did you get the recall done or not?

Yes, but I still won't trust them. That trucks long gone but I have a 05 gmc shortbed and for the price of replacing plastics I'd rather buy a small trailer that sits low to the ground just to be on the safe side. Thanks for looking out though!:beerchug:

thanks guys :beerchug:

I'm not really considering this as a bike hauling option, in my Avalanche the bike really just barely fits in the bed, probably wouldnt with the baxley in front of it. This is more of a cheaper way to accomplish a bedslide solution. A few pieces of plywood, some 2x4s, the ability to build some customized aspects, etc but this is the basic idea below. The 700-800lb capacity was really just so I could put whatever I need on it (furniture, boxes, etc) and still be able to use it to slide out some. I dont want to have to haul this thing out of the bed each time I need to use the bed for more than "storage" :whistle:

Thoughts? I'll try to get my design drawing scanned in, just dont have a scanner with me right now.

standard_image_carpeted.jpg

A great resource is McMaster Carr, but they are business to business only,(you would need to open a business account). They have precision slides but very pricy. If you had pic of your concept it would help.

Have you considered a low profile steel dollie to support your sliding bed? perhaps the wheels could be guided by angle iron rails.

Here is a McMaster page with Equipment-Moving Slides, if this link takes you to their homepage, just keyword " Equipment-Moving Slides ".

Link:

McMaster-Carr

I have done quite a bit of fabrication, happy to give my 2cents if desired.

Below is a pic of my McMaster fabricated motorcycle ramp:

Thanks for the info :beerchug: Once I get the image scanned I'll PM you and pick your brain if you dont mind :thumbsup:

You could make a poor mans version using wood construction and casters for your support. Just be cautious you dont overload.

Yes, but I still won't trust them. That trucks long gone but I have a 05 gmc shortbed and for the price of replacing plastics I'd rather buy a small trailer that sits low to the ground just to be on the safe side. Thanks for looking out though!:beerchug:

I understand completely. For the cost of 2 fairings you can probably buy a trailer.

Back