Wireless Hardware

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Im a computer literate guy, I have in the past run several NOCs, tech support centers for ISP, trouble reporting centers, help desk, please tell me Im not alone, Im a desperate man.. tell me that someone out there has suffered through compatability issues with wireless computer products. I cant even get the same brand to work together ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg I even broke down and called the tech support who told me that the repeater that I purchased is not supported, HUH?
rock.gif
? I bought a 54mb router and a repeater (I want to surf the Internet from the pasture) and they tell me the repeater doesnt work with some of their products, I ask "which ones does it work with?" the answer "Not sure!" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggggggggggggg I cant take it.. someone help before I ram my car into a wall.

cap

If it was a cage i'd tell you what I tell my students when they have an auto problem. The simpelest solution...

Flare in the gas tank.

Good luck Capt!

I have a simple wireless network for my laptop and I have had some issues with it but they have always been able to help. I'm using a Linksys system but the range isn't the greatest. I have a fairly small house and I get a weak signal when I'm on the opposite side from the base but that is passing through three walls.

I had the same problem with Tech Support trying to get Linksys and D-Link products to work together with my home LAN.

I went with Netgear which works perfectly the first time out of the box and for the last year.

Not sure of the actually range you are trying to achieve out to your pasture, but 802.11b has the greatest range, while 802.11g has the shortest.

As long as you aren't trying to copy huge files between two wireless computers, 802.11b is all you need. You won't notice the speed difference while surfing the net, plus 802.11b is cheaper.

If you put an external or larger antenna on your Access Point (repeater), you will increase the range. You can do a search for compatible antenna's.

I actually have all of the hardware mentioned above. I run two wireless networks at the house. One is for access to the neighborhood and the other is my secured intranet on my property. I have the 11.b running for the distance trying to get the repeater of the same brand to work is another thing. I bought a new D-link 11.b router but the D-link repeater only works with certain D-link 11.b hardware, they cant tell me why or what models will not work... I also have a 11.b netgear but the wep went out on it, and I have a microsoft 11.g that I use for transferring files from laptop to server. Man this D-Link repeater is a pain.

cap

Welcome to the BLEEDING edge of technology! After you get everything almost working, please please pelase please please learn all you can about encrypting it and locking it down. Guys I work with brag all day long about driving around with their wireless laptops detecting [not entering] unprotected wireless systems. Security is a bigger prob than functionality

Cap,

Sounds like you pretty much have the right pieces and know what you are doing as far as connectivity. The problem is of course is Tech Support. I dealt with both the Linksys and D-Link support guy's for about a week until I got fed up and returned their items. They really try to help, they even called me for a follow-up to my problem! All 802.11 products are suppose to be standarized, but each company tries to add additional funtionality to their products to make them stand-out, and that's where the problems start. The fact that they can't even tell you which of thier own products are compatible with each other proves that they are clueless themselves.

You can request their top level A-Tech like I did, but they still couldn't fix my problem.

This is probably well outside your price range, but this wireless solution can go up to 30 miles away. LANLink

There are simular type products out there that are cheaper.

Also check out 3Com Wireless

<!--EDIT|Sane_man
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072816950 -->

Mikey I have security on all my systems, I actually ran into a situation today where I found a company in my building with full access to their network. I told em bout it and they were in shock that they were open to whoever. Talk about free mp3 download sites!!!

I've got both D-Link and Linksys wireless. The latest firmwares have solved a lot of the issues I was having with them. D-Link is funny about what equipment it will work with. I have never been able to get my D-Link access point to get an IP address from my cable modem. Their tech support were absolutely no help and basically told me that it may not work with some devices. It's friggin DHCP, it's not rocket science.

Back