Wireless router issues

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I just replaced my wireless router and can't get internet on the laptop.
The desktop hardline is working, my phone can connect to the router, but the laptop will only get local network.
I've gone through windows network diagnostics a few times and get nowhere. It's a lynksys router....
Any ideas guys?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Hi, I am a Mac and have a Mac router and have no internet problems :moon:

Its probably the type of wireless signal.

Routers these days will have the following

wireless g
wireless b/g
wireless n

Your laptop probably only takes on of the types of them. There are more combinations than what i said above... Go into your routers setting and see which it is set on

Ive walked away from it for now, got to late and things were about to get thrown. Ill try again after the Bash with those ideas. I just plugged in to the hardline for now. Thanks guys.:thumbsup:

I ran into the same problem with my wifes older computer. It uses a WiFi card. It would not connect then I changed the security from the highest to 128 and worked perfectly.
Posted via Mobile Device

make sure you put the new pasword on the laptop. Everything is hooked up correctly if you getting it on the hard line. Now you need the laptop to "see" the wireless.

Try resetting the router and disabling the security password. If you can connect, then there is something wrong with the way you set your password up.

Is it possible to go into the router's WAN settings and create a DMZ for your laptop's IP address? I don't know how LinkSys stuff works but that's what I do with my NetGear router.

Also, if your new router has a WEP key (or similar), you need to enter that key into your laptop's Internet Connection Settings.

I suspect old router was password protected and new router out of box isn't. Laptop still probably trying to use old router's settings. First off, if you can, go head and plug directly up to the new router using ethernet cable from router to laptop. That bypasses all the wireless settings and you should get a connection. Then at least you know it's just a settings issue.

P.S. My sister in law unplugged and moved her computer this weekend - took her 5 hours to get back on the internet, fixed when I reminder her that there is only 1 IN and 4 wired OUTS on her router....plugged it up wrong.

Back