Wireless security setup

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
I have a wireless router and i would like to set up a password to keep others from helping themselves to my internet connection. The router is a Linksys with a signal booster. Ive look through all the internet?security options i could find, but with no luck. Help!!

I have a d-link wireless router. Do you have management software that came with the router? If so you should be able to set security parameters there. I set mine up when I installed it all, but that a while a back and I cant remember. I do know that if all else fails, call the number on the router for customer service, they can help you through it if you get stuck. I remember having to call a few times and reset my router. Wish I could be of more help.

What's the model number?

There should be a Wireless menu and the Wireless Security

Linksys1.jpg

Linksys1.jpg

BTW, good for you for wanting to secure it. That screen shot was taken from a Linksys that is unprotected in the neighborhood. LOL

I recommend using WPA2, if you can... WEP is too easy to hack

BTW, good for you for wanting to secure it. That screen shot was taken from a Linksys that is unprotected in the neighborhood. LOL

I recommend using WPA2, if you can... WEP is too easy to hack

I kinda figured yours wasnt wide open :laugh: :poke:

Mine is however wide open....there is literally NO ONE within 1000' of the router nor will there be until spring so I have some time to lock it down ..... certainly makes it easier to get everything working and talking together :whistle:

Locking down your network is a great idea :thumbsup:

I tried this...

To access your router’s internal setup, open a browser and enter the routers setup URL. The URL will be specified in the manual. The URLs for D-Link and Linksys routers, two major manufacturers of wireless routers, are http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.1.1, respectively.

I put in a new password from the desktop, disconnected my laptop and then tried to connect again and it didnt ask for a password. :Banghead: any ideas why?

Amen to that. Since they can take the holder of the account and not the user to court for copyright infraction in the music industry. We are hardwired in our house to to avoid the possibility.

On the router:
Change the SSID to something other than the default and set it to "Non-Brocasting".
Change the Wireless Security to WPA2 if all of your devices support it, or use the lowest common denominator.
Enter a passphrase that is not easy to guess.

On the client:
Setup a custom wireless network, select Access Point or equivalent.
Enter the SSID. Check the "Connect if not broadcasting" option.
Enter the passphrase that you configured on the router in the Wireless Security settings.

Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Make sure the password has numbers in it.
my pass is 36 digits long with numbers and letters, half the time i cant remember the password my self lol, and has built in firewall no one getting in my Wireless N router with out my permission :rulez:

On the router:
Change the SSID to something other than the default and set it to "Non-Brocasting".
Change the Wireless Security to WPA2 if all of your devices support it, or use the lowest common denominator.
Enter a passphrase that is not easy to guess.

On the client:
Setup a custom wireless network, select Access Point or equivalent.
Enter the SSID. Check the "Connect if not broadcasting" option.
Enter the passphrase that you configured on the router in the Wireless Security settings.

Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Don't forget MAC address filtering too! Oops shoulda looked down further before I posted!

You got me thinking... One of the neighbors has unsecured wireless that I can pick up in my house. It is currently showing 20 other computers connected to it! Who knows what's going on through their connection.

You got me thinking... One of the neighbors has unsecured wireless that I can pick up in my house. It is currently showing 20 other computers connected to it! Who knows what's going on through their connection.

that's an accident waiting to happen, you might outta go talk to them.

I'm sure with some direction finding software a hacker can figure it out. You could probably even take a laptop and find it by watching signal strength. And sometimes, if they've changed their SSID, it will give you clues as to who it is.

Back