Windscreens

Windscreens - Want to get the best, fugg the rest !

• PUIG RACING

Votes: 69 100.0%
  • PUIG TOURING

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ZG DOUBLE BUBBLE

• ZG SPORT TOURING

• STOCK SCREEN

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Geekenstein

Registered
OK, Here's the problem I have. I put the ZG Double Bubble screen on about 6 months ago, dark smoke in color and happy with the looks of it on my '03 Anniv. It is way flimsier than the stocker, but the wind protection is noticably better. One thing I don't like is when I get to 150 + MPH (I do this on our country rides only.....almost every week) it starts chattering, seems too thin to take the wind and it starts vibrating pretty badly, shaking from side to side. That's the worst part of it IMHO. Afraid it's going to disentegrate and that wouldn't be nice to happen at triple digit speeds. Well, this morning when I got to work, I fold the mirrors back in order to put the cover on my bike, I do this each morning and commute every day to work. Well, I hear this crack and what was that sound coming from ? You guessed it, the ZG DB is now cracked where the mirror rests against the screen when folded back. So I am in the market for a new screen, still have the stocker but want another that offers a little more wind protection. So help me out here, and let me know what to put on her next !

The ZG DB screens are nice, but notoriously buzz at speed...solution is to put a little "shim" down at the front of the screen, between the screen and fairing I believe.

Vibration may have caused stress fractures...

i have a sportech v-flow and i am very pleased with it. its very sturdy at around 180. if you like the dark smoke look then you will love the black chrome.

PUIG Racing looks great, provides significant wind deflection and much thicker than the ZG DB. Also like the ZG DB, but think the PUIG is a better made product.

I have the DB from Rumble Imports (light smoke) and Chrome DB. Neither fit perfectly, but I never had a problem /c any buzzing, chattering or vibrating

I had a puig racing screen until the bike got knocked over. I was really happy with it. I've ordreed a puig touring screen to replace it. somebody here on the board has the touring screen and said it was excellent. anyhow....kneedraggers.com and ridegear.com both carry puig racing screens.

I had a puig racing screen until the bike got knocked over. I was really happy with it. I've ordreed a puig touring screen to replace it. somebody here on the board has the touring screen and said it was excellent. anyhow....kneedraggers.com and ridegear.com both carry puig racing screens.
I'm not certain but I think that "somebody" might have been me and yeah...I've got the "PUIG TOURING" and I love it...

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

PUIG3.jpg

Clean wind over the top, plenty sturdy at speed and once your eyes are down to 3-4"s over the top you actually fall into the low pressure bubble...kicks up 2" taller than stock but comes back 2 3/4" more than stock and imho dosen't change or offend the flow/lines of the fairing...visually.

I'm very pleased with it. L8R, Bill. cool.gif

Got a DB dark smoke on mine. Wrapped the tabs with electrical tape and have had no problems, even at top end. Even my video camera films well through it. Plenty bright and the optics are much better than the stock piece. Any chance you wound up with a blem? Could be variations in thickness.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114542545 -->

I'm not certain but I think that "somebody" might have been me and yeah...I've got the "PUIG TOURING" and I love it...

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

PUIG3.jpg

Clean wind over the top, plenty sturdy at speed and once your eyes are down to 3-4"s over the top you actually fall into the low pressure bubble...kicks up 2" taller than stock but comes back 2 3/4" more than stock and imho dosen't change or offend the flow/lines of the fairing...visually.

Hey Jinkster, I really like the look of the Puig Touring screen. I like to video through the screen and I am wondering about the quality of the Puig clear screen option. Any thoughts???

Thanks

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

PUIG3.jpg

Hey Jinkster, I really like the look of the Puig Touring screen.  I like to video through the screen and I am wondering about the quality of the Puig clear screen option.  Any thoughts???

Thanks

<!--EDIT|sweeper
Reason for Edit: "Trying to delete the double post!!!"|1114543240 -->

GET A POWERBRONZE AIRFLOW SCREEN.... Much better quality than the zg db, and i also like it better than the puig. ill try and find a good pix.
btw..

I'm very pleased with it. L8R, Bill. cool.gif[/QUOTE]
yep it was you. after reading your post thats what made decide to go with the touring screen. couldn't find anybody that had one in stock so I went to my local dealer. put it on order. gonna take 6-8 weeks for it to get here. at least I'll have it for summer.  smile.gif

yep it was you. after reading your post thats what made decide to go with the touring screen. couldn't find anybody that had one in stock so I went to my local dealer. put it on order. gonna take 6-8 weeks for it to get here. at least I'll have it for summer.  smile.gif[/QUOTE]
I'm finding that too, both local dealer and cyclescreens.com told me 6-8 weeks. Apparently no one keeps the touring screens in stock and order them on an as-needed basis. sad.gif

Jinkster, if you can point me to a dealer that would have them on tap, it would be much appreciated.

The Jinxman sold me. The Cruise Missile needs a Piug touring screen. The more air I can divert over my fit and trim body, the better smile.gif Thanks again for the excellent pics Bill.

That Powerbronze screen sure looks heavy duty!!

I have a Zero Gravity double bubble on mine and love it. I rode 515 miles two weeks ago on Friday. It was great the wind proctetction is great. about it vibrating at 150+ I couldn't tell you, I don't make a practice of doing that on the highway.

yep it was you. after reading your post thats what made decide to go with the touring screen. couldn't find anybody that had one in stock so I went to my local dealer. put it on order. gonna take 6-8 weeks for it to get here. at least I'll have it for summer.  smile.gif
I'm finding that too, both local dealer and cyclescreens.com told me 6-8 weeks.  Apparently no one keeps the touring screens in stock and order them on an as-needed basis. sad.gif

Jinkster, if you can point me to a dealer that would have them on tap, it would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I'd love to help you guys locate one but even the dude at kneedraggers spent an afternoon calling around and then returned my call stating that he "Found ONE Puig Touring Windscreen For a Busa in North America"...gal had it in her hand at a warehouse in california...dark smoke...told'im that's exactly what I'm looking for...SOLD!!!

Outside of that every place I called was a 6-8 week wait...but I'd of waited if I had to...as I sorta like "Non-Mainstream" items....and for bonus points was pleasantly surprised by the fit, quality and performance of the PUIG Touring...and even compliments the ergo's of the genmar 1 1/4" riser like a matching set...I got lucky and the plan came together. LOL!!!

Puig is made in Spain....evidently a division of a well established spanish corp. named "MotoPlastic"...who are noted for making very high quality windscreens and fairing kits for everything from vespa scooters to R1 race bikes and tourinmg screens for large bore ST'ers.

And...well...after seeing their work?...I know they're good...as this windscreen is fairly thick yet they managed to meet form fit extremely well...and that's tough to do with the thick stuff...especially when it has that much shape to it.

IMHO?...Puig Touring is well worth the wait. L8R, Bill. cool.gif

cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back