windchill for 35 degree at 170?

You're insane WWJD... I don't ride AT ALL if the temps are low enough to make ice ANYWHERE outdoors. Don't like riding in temps below 50f but I will occasionally suffer through in the high 40's just to get some seat time in. Once it hits the low 40's I'm cagin' it. I ride for enjoyment and I don't enjoy freezin' my tail off. If I had decent winter gear I'd ride well into the 40's I guess, but still not into the 30's. I have no confidence as it is on WET roads. Forget a chance of finding ICE out there!
eek2.gif

The PUCKER FACTOR would kick in way before the WINDCHILL FACTOR would for me, bro...
laugh.gif

It was 47 this afternoon.  Despite Iowa roads consisting of all the worst stuff in winter [sand, salt, ice-melter-spray, oil, water, ice, slush] and various combo-piles of it all, I knew what I had to do:  One Must Ride.  By the time I got home from work, temps had dropped about 10 degrees but the sun was beaming in a clear blue sky and it SEEMED warmer.  Three miles later, I found myself facing the nearest empty flat stretch, pocketed only with the occasional commutter.  People ask me why I ride in the dead of winter, adn I tell them it's no different than snowmobiling except I can go more places.

Things learned at the edge of reason:
- not only does Busa enjoy cool air, loves COLD air too
- tires with 32PSI stick pretty good
- a cold ride is better than no ride at all
- people stare at you funny
- so do Police  
smile.gif

- frozen suspension sucks!  bumpy
- wind chill for a 35 degree ride at 170mph is about -38
- Technic gloves do NOT provide safe protection in winter
- Sidi boots do okay
- long underwear is never the wrong idea

- Hayabusa is STILL my favorite motorcycle ride!

towercam4_640x480.jpg
way to go.i will ride as long as the roads are clear,i dont care how cold!! If i get 20 minutes on the bike thats enoungh to wet my whisle!!by the way im glad your not stunting cause that would be dangerous but 170 isnt
race.gif
woulnt want my insurance to go up

yeah, clear road is CRUCIAL! I'm not an idiot. there was no ice to be found. it was 47 earlier, and 35 when I rode. took corners slow, knew my surface... just GOTTA ride. It was worth every second of seat time
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

I feel your pain, having to deal with winter temps. Just got back from a ride. Didn't get up to triple digits this time, but it is just about perfect here now- upper 70's and clear, no wind. Finally warmed up as it has actually been pretty chilly the last few days, even for Florida. Too bad everthing here is flat & straight.

Back