winter?

SPEEDEMON

Donating Member
Registered
ok so i just moved over the summer from miami to NJ.
this is my first real winter with a bike.
just tell me everythin i need to know about riding in cold weather bec i know nothing, obviusly my msf course in miami didnt go over winter riding, hehe
i know i have to give the tires time to warm up b4 i do pretty much anything, thats common sense.
and i know even if my tires are warm the street still is not...
but how afraid should i be of riding in the cold? and how cold is too cold?
when do most of you pack it up and winterize it, like what temp should i wait until?
and does my garage have to be heated?
wow i'm a dumbass. haha
anyway sorry for all the questions

I don't know about winters in NJ, but over here I'll ride until the salt trucks go out. The bike will then go away for its winter hibernation. I went right through the winter last year on my old 600 and the salt killed it more than any ice did.

Once it gets to +1 or +2oC degrees over I tend to avoid going out, I don't mind the cold but I don't like icy roads on a bike.

Here in Wisconsin, I ride until there's ice/salt on the roads, then I put her away til spring. My riding season usually ends in early December and returns in late March. I ride to work if the temp is above the mid 30's. Colder than that, and I drive.

Winter riding is just like summer riding except your grip is lessened by the cold tires/roads. As long as YOU keep warm, it's not a big deal - look at all the snowmobilers.

Dress warm. REALLY warm. Heated gear is a plus. Allow the bike to warm up for a while before riding. No, you don't need a heated garage - but it would be nice.

You can ride almost all year round if you in Jersey City/Manhattan. Below 40 it's darn cold. 2 yrs ago, I drove from JC to Montreal in November. Left with 40F, and got there it was 30. Froze my azz off. Good thing my wife was following so so I could get in for warming up.
Careful with morning dew.
Try not to ride if you can when below 40. Water can freeze on bridges even above freezing point.
If you are going to ride during winter, do it when the sun is out.
Buy snowmobile gloves, wear multiple layer gear etc.
Also defogger for your helmet.
And believe me at 40F, doing 120 you get brain freeze
biggrin.gif

welcome to nj,broil all summer,freeze all winter,i ride down to about 40 degrees (note i don't turn the key if i can't make 75 miles,and prefer a 100 plus) get something to cover your face from the nose down and tucks snugly into the collor this area must be sealed well or you will be cold no matter what you wear,i picked up a nice windproof,insulated,fieldsheer i peice winter suit,last year (dirt cheap on e bay)pretty warm without being super bulky,many thin layers underneath,depending on how cold it is,i dont like any of the winter gloves i have tried so i just wear liners under regular gloves,a couple of pairs of socks and off you go,note keep your vitals (heart lungs kidneys etc) warm and you will be comfy

the colder it is and the farther you plan to ride the more important your preperation becomes,i am sure i have forgotten a few things,but you still have a month of nice weather to go

DRY PAVEMENT, DAYTIME RIDING, AND GO EASY ON THE TURNS. THE "BIKE KILLER" IS LURKING. I RIDE OFF AND ON THROUGHOUT THE WINTER MONTHS AND THE SAND ON THE RODE CAN APPEAR IN SOME UNUSUAL SPOTS. ON'T LEAN SO HARD. JUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE AND LAYER UP. I HAVE HEATED HAND GRIPS TO TAKE THE STING OUT OF HER. WHAT PART OF "JERSEY" ARE YOU MOVING TO? I WAS BORN IN ASBURY PARK AND LIVED IN EAST WINDSOR FOR A FEW YEARS.:;):

What's winter storage??

Serisouly though, if it's above 20oF, and the roads are clean, I'll ride. Salt SUCKS though!!

If you store the bike, make sure to put some Stabul in the tank and ride it for a little while, then get a Battery Tender. Also, get some stands to get the tires off the ground, or you'll have flat spots.

<!--EDIT|zixxerpilot
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128978754 -->

What's winter storage??

Serisouly though, if it's above 20oF, and the roads are clean, I'll ride. Salt SUCKS though!!

If you store the bike, make sure to put some Stabul in the tank and ride it for a little while, then get a Battery Tender. Also, get some stands to get the tires off the ground, or you'll have flat spots.
i got a batt tender, (the jr one, works great btw!)
i got stands, i need swing arm spools though, and the stabil i will buy

and i gues it sounds ok to ride untill about freezing temps and otherwise dress warm..its only in the 60's now and i am freezing my as off, this is really gonna suck!

WHAT PART OF "JERSEY" ARE YOU MOVING TO?  I WAS BORN IN ASBURY PARK AND LIVED IN EAST WINDSOR FOR A FEW YEARS.:;): [/QUOTE]

i moved in the summer, i am in tuckerton, south of asbury park

<!--EDIT|SPEEDEMON
Reason for Edit: None given...|1128980432 -->

Depends on the year but middle of November and youre done, unless youre looking for the coldest nuts award. Put some Stabil in the tank, put the cover on it and say bye bye until St. Patty's day at the earliest. The leaves aren't back on the trees in the NYC area until around second week of May, for comfy riding. Miami to the Pine Barrens, ooh.

DRY PAVEMENT, DAYTIME RIDING, AND GO EASY ON THE TURNS. THE "BIKE KILLER" IS LURKING.  I RIDE OFF AND ON THROUGHOUT THE WINTER MONTHS AND THE SAND ON THE RODE CAN APPEAR IN SOME UNUSUAL SPOTS. ON'T LEAN SO HARD.  JUST KEEP A CLOSE EYE AND LAYER UP.  I HAVE HEATED HAND GRIPS TO TAKE THE STING OUT OF HER.  WHAT PART OF "JERSEY" ARE YOU MOVING TO?  I WAS BORN IN ASBURY PARK AND LIVED IN EAST WINDSOR FOR A FEW YEARS.:;):
+1

On and off during the winter (Quincy, MA). Keep an eye on the temperature, water and morning mist freezes even above 30 degrees (black ice). After the salt trucks are out, I usually wait for a nice wash off rain to take the bike out. Watch out for sand patches.  
Layer up and pay close attention to your gloves. I froze my knuckles several times.
Have fun in the winter.

Babybusa, hope to see you sometime on the road.
peace!

jim

You will like the winter.. After the salt is on the roads I try not to ride too much, but there is always those few times I just can't help it. You know when the sun is shinning and it looks so inviting outside, well it's friggin 20 degrees and personally I don't enjoy that very much.

I like to just to go out to the garage after my bike has been covered for two weeks and pull that cover off and just stare at the bike, not riding the bike so much in the winter does make the heart grow fonder, by the time Feb rolls around I'm iching to ride!

SD, Im 10-15 minutes away dude. Let me know when you wanna grab a beer and we'll talk about storage and stuff.

i am in northern nj and my season ends in about a month. its just too damn cold. then its quad time and waiting for snow.

if you do go out after sanders have been out you definitly have to watch out for patches of it esp at intersections. it tends to pile up there and not get washed away.

Here are some clothing tips!

YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR EACH OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS FROM DEC 3 TILL ABOUT MARCH 30th, YU DONT KNOW IT YET BUT YOU HAVE THIN ASS BLOOD THAT GETS COLD EASIER!..

extreme%20cold%20weather%20gear.jpg

I would just park it and turn the heat on in your car or truck. If you realy want to ride there are plenty of products to keep you warm. Like chevelle said the hands are the big and hardest to keep warm. If i was going to ride all winter I would invest in some electrical stuff. Grips, gloves, vest. If you plan to park it get some gas stabil. Pour it in the tank, mix it by shakin the bike alittle, and let it run some to serculate.
Just my 2 cents. O..if you rush it in the spring to ride. The mornings will be cold and afternoon is nice. The morning black ice can take you out.Black ice is when the road just looks wet but it is a thin sheet of ice. It will put you on your ass before you know what hits you. Unfortunatly bin there don't that. It SUX.

If you suffer from water in your knees, then drink some antifreeze. The most dangerous part of winter is the salt.

Back