Wife wants to ride......?

but what about when they transfer over to a new bike then they have to learn a whole new position. I nvr made the tranisition myself but from what i here going from cruser to sport bike is a big difference as far as turning goes
Just my experience, but I learned to ride (after the MSF course) on an 883 Harley Hugger with buckhorn handle bars and forward controls...I moved from that straight to the Busa and didn't have a minute of trouble. I actually found the Busa a whole lot easier to handle and sometimes wonder how I ever learned on that Harley!

I don't think transition from one position to another is as difficult as it appears. I didn't have problems, my husband routinely rides my Busa and his Harley...shouldn't be a huge issue...
smile.gif

Here's what I went through:
I bought a Honda Nighthawk CB450 ('84?) and we practiced on that in BIG parking lots...this ended in frustration and a ruined motosickle - (try teaching your wife anything!) I then signed her up for the MSF course. They provide the bike, quality classrom and riding instruction..and in Maryland where she took the course, right after the class the same instructors administered the liscensing test. Positives that came from this:
She gets the MSF insurance discount.
Since I am in the military, she had to do the course to ride on base.
She put 50+ miles, in 1st and 2nd gear on someone else's bike.
She dropped someone else's bike.
She learned how to pick up someone else's bike.
See a pattern forming here?

About a month after she took the course (96) I gave her my 93 GSXR 6 and she never had a problem on it...had to sell it when we went overseas.

Just my .02

Errrr.
Shawn

hell get her a ninja 250 if your that worried
are you kiding i'd be better off gettin her a pocket bike. Guy had just got a 250 and went ridin with us 4 hrs later were callin a truck to come and get the engine. I strongly believe 250 bikes are a waste of money.
He's saying she's a small girl...so a 250 would be good. It helps if your feet touch the ground, plus when you pop the clutch it won't get away from you.This is a starter bike for a chick, not something to go on a "busa run" with.

i understand that but you want something that when she pops the clutch it will run not blow up. I think you can just slap loweing links for the height and not really sure bout the power. Thats why i was asking if there was a way to retard the timing to lower the power till she's ready for the rest

ahhhh heck tell her if she passes the course she can pick a new bike of her choice. I'd buy the wifey a new bike if she wanted. I think a new 600 would be your best choice. Also consider yourself lucky your honey shows an interest in wanting a bike. Nothing like your best friend as a riding partner.

I think the 250cc Machines and under are just as freakin dangerous out there as a Newbie on a Busa. I mean you do not want to be stuck on a bike without enough balls to get out of it's own way. It's just dangerous.

I'd think a something naked, and Semi-sporty would be the way to go... So, once again... SV650, Enough bike to be properly intimidating but not so much bike that she will never manage to get comfortable. We have enough folks allready skeered of their bikes as it is, don't need to add another...
wink.gif

Also consider yourself lucky your honey shows an interest in wanting a bike. Nothing like your best friend as a riding partner.
Hooah!
Exactly what I have been thinking.
My wife wants to ride her own due to my love for the ride.
I find it fascinating that she wants to be a part of my hobby/love. She is my best friend. She used to be my greatest fan when I was playing Ice Hockey. There even when I coach the little ones. I love that shes taking an interest in my life like that. Thats freakin' awesome.

We are exploring all makes and models to see what she will be comfortable with. So far: she likes sportbikes. Thats a start. Thats good enough for me.

Thumbs up to all the women who have the confidence to take ownership of a Busa though. I just think that is the coolest thing to have so many women not too scared or intimidated to call a Hayabusa their very own. Trust me I know plenty of guys who are freaked out to even ride a 1300 bike!!!!!

The deal I made with my wife was that she take the MSF BSC and THEN, if she decided she liked riding, we'd get her a junker out of the recycler, something she could drop without bemoaning an $800 repair bill.

She just finished the course last Sunday. She loved it. We bought here a 250 Intercepter (sp?) as her first bike. Seems like it's in great condition but I'm wondering if we shouldn't have gone bigger for her. Seems a little gutless for traffic.

Well, I'm a big guy so it might be better for her. She's still in parking lot mode anyway.

--Wag--

My wife went thru the MSF course never ridden a street bike only ATV's and she loved it. Started her on a Ninja 250 for aboout a month or 2 and then went to a CBR600F4I and now she's riding around just fine. Just take the course.

Did you buy the 250 or was it something you just had laying around. If you bought it just for those 2 mths than it seems like a waste of money

all good advice guys.
we'll see what she wants to do.
i am starting to think towards the used smaller bike, rather than the new Buell or whatever. This way when she is ready we'll get her a new one.

looking at an EX-500 now.
clean it up.
get it painted purple.
all good.
she loves me.... again.

make sure we get a before and after shot

So, she is kinda short. Kinda small. Kinda never ridden herself. She has only gone shotgun before now. She wants to ride.

What bikes should I be looking to to get her on?
Hey tedbiele, it's like you are describing my wife a year ago. She took the MSF course, after she bought a Kawi 636. We slammed the bike, so her height wouldn't be an issue. After taking the MSF, we did a couple of days of empty parking lot riding. Once she was comfortable with the handling (especially acceleration, breaking and simple turning), then we went on a couple early morning rides together, both stop and go, and long riding. Now almost a year later, my beautiful wife is still riding safely. I should note here, that she has a lot of self control. So the power of the bike doesn't really matter. However, if your wife tends to have a HOT foot, a 600cc bike could very well get her into a lot of trouble fast.

One of her friends learned on an SV650S. It's a lot tamer then the 636.

Hope this post helps in your decision making.

We bought it and shes anticipating my coming home so she can get an MSF course under her belt and get on our way.

My wife just called today and signed up for the course. She will be starting a week from Friday. It is a Fri night, all day Sat and half day Sun. If she does well and wants to get her own, that's what we'll do.
smile.gif

My wife has the mc endorsment on her license--has not ridden i two ,three years----passed MSF ,,,just barely,,
We have a 71 SL Honda 100...cherry--the day will come--I think--maybe the Piaggio 500 Scooter is the trick--98 mph top speed---------linked brakes and auto trans....less stuff to worry about-it's dangerous out there.

Back