Wife wants to ride......?

tedbiele

Thats Mr. Great Pumpkin to you!&quot
Donating Member
Registered
So, she is kinda short. Kinda small. Kinda never ridden herself. She has only gone shotgun before now. She wants to ride.

What bikes should I be looking to to get her on?

I suggest motorcycle safety/ training course, then a ninja 500 for 6 good months, then gsxr-600 or a kan-a-tuna (Katana).

Then once she loves riding and has developed good skills GSXR-1000, ZX-9 or 10, or Hayabusa.

Also you need more protective gear than a 5-yr old with a new dirt bike, cause to me it is not if, but rather when will you fall? Even low speed falls can leave significant scratches, and I like my wife beautiful the way she came without the road rash and 2 exhaust burns that I have.

Good luck to you.

Southside - where you from in H-town?
I am in Tomball soon. As soon as the Army releases me.
We should get together and ride.

I am out in Fresno off of Hwy 6, near 288 and Beltway 8.

That is cool, let me know whenever, shoot me an email.

From experience...encourage her to take the MSF course, and you take it with her just to show her it's for everyone, experienced and not...

And, riding a dirtbike, if you don't want to invest in a street bike just yet, will help heaps. Honestly, I spent about 2 hours running up and down my dirt road on one and learned the controls, how to break, etc...

Good luck to her...get her out riding if that's what she wants...just encourage her to do it safely...
smile.gif

my wifes been wanting to learn to but she doesnt want to go to the MSF course without having been on a bike. Is there a way to powerdown one of the 600 sports bikes? You know like limit the power, kinda like the busa?

my wifes been wanting to learn to but she doesnt want to go to the MSF course without having been on a bike.  Is there a way to powerdown one of the 600 sports bikes?  You know like limit the power, kinda like the busa?
Um, No...
smile.gif
Best to just have her suck it up and head to the MSF directly. So long as she can ride a bicycle, she can handle the course. Besides, actually learning from the MSF will help her develop better habbits throughout...

tedbiele... First thing you gotta ask yourself is can she drive worth a damn? If not? Then No Bike... It's just that simple... If you allways feel outta sync with traffic, or are getting surprised while driving? Then NO BIKE.

If she's a heads up, CAN DO kinda person then no worries... But the driving ability will indicate riding safety and ability...

IMHO

my wifes been wanting to learn to but she doesnt want to go to the MSF course without having been on a bike.  Is there a way to powerdown one of the 600 sports bikes?  You know like limit the power, kinda like the busa?
Man, tell her to go in fresh! It's no big deal, take a class where they provide the bikes...you spend so much time pushing and walking the bike around, learning the controls, she shouldn't have any trouble at all.

I did try riding first, and crashed...should have taken the class first, avoid that whole "crashed because I couldn't find the brakes" thing...

I'd actually recommend finding a Harley Davidson Riders Edge course for her. They use the buel blasts for their courses, where most other places use little 125/250 style bikes. The Blast is actually a great time to ride but presents the rider with a "real world" type of experience with the bike. I took one a year or so ago and actually have been thinking of getting a blast from my local HD dealer when they come up for refresh this fall (~2-2.5k) to teach my girlfriend how to ride. Might help her figure out the right type of bike to get as well, but if she's short she might like the blast ... they are sorta sporty but have the lowest seat height of anything at like 27"
cool.gif

anyway, just food for thought, but the course while it does spew some HD crapola at you, is way better than any of the comm. college MSF courses I've taken. www.ridersedge.com

Just pick up an old 600 they dont have much hp and you will probably get one really cheap. Im talking like early 90's model. hell get her a ninja 250 if your that worried

hell get her a ninja 250 if your that worried
are you kiding i'd be better off gettin her a pocket bike. Guy had just got a 250 and went ridin with us 4 hrs later were callin a truck to come and get the engine. I strongly believe 250 bikes are a waste of money.

I have got to say that she should take the course an let HER CHOOSE a bike. I know everyone here loves the sport bikes (myself included) but she should be comfortable on what she rides as a first bike. Start in the Lower cc range, 600 or below.

<!--EDIT|Belegnole
Reason for Edit: None given...|1099958739 -->

Not to dismiss the sporting bent of the members here, but maybe the best bike to learn on would be a smaller displacement cruiser style bike. The riding position would be much easier for a novice to adapt to.

Of course, it goes without saying that a motorcyle riding safety course is a must.

are you kiding i'd be better off gettin her a pocket bike. Guy had just got a 250 and went ridin with us 4 hrs later were callin a truck to come and get the engine.  I strongly believe 250 bikes are a waste of money.
Point is, they are about $3k and she can learn on it. I didnt say she was going to break land spped records or anything

going through the same thing with mine right now. Here is what we are doing.

I am looking for a older (early to mid 90's) 600 that is already well broke in and preferably already has some "character" to it. That way when she falls it won't be such a large disappointment that she messed up a newer bike. Already has scratches, cool here is some more. That and I will actually have to have one of my friends do most of the teaching since she gets nervous and overly ambitious when I try to teach her anything. You ever have to teach your wife how to drive a stick shift? Just make sure that she is comforable above all else so that she will enjoy the experience even more. Good luck!

are you kiding i'd be better off gettin her a pocket bike. Guy had just got a 250 and went ridin with us 4 hrs later were callin a truck to come and get the engine.  I strongly believe 250 bikes are a waste of money.
Point is, they are about $3k and she can learn on it. I didnt say she was going to break land spped records or anything
didnt say that but its not something you want to cruise the highway on either.

You ever have to teach your wife how to drive a stick shift?  
Yeah and she thinks youre yelling but you dont think you are when you really are becasue you can hear the teeth being ground off your mustangs clutch plates.

Try a Kawasaki Eliminator (125 cc cruiser) or a Honda Rebel 250 . Late models can be found for about $2K in nice used condition with low miles, About 2/3 the size of a full size bike. Very low seat, not enough power to get into trouble. I think the prone riding posture of a sport bike is too much for a new rider to deal with, better to sit straight on a cruiser while learning.

but what about when they transfer over to a new bike then they have to learn a whole new position. I nvr made the tranisition myself but from what i here going from cruser to sport bike is a big difference as far as turning goes

Back