Wife is looking at a new SUV-

it’s fair to assume that a new car engine should not have issues when it leaves the dealer but to look at longevity you can look at manufacturers used lineup to check how their engines and chassis hold up. it’s common to find used hyundai/kia with spun bearings, head gasket leaks, worn camshafts, bad turbos, etc. with waves of recalls/ tbs that plague a bunch of their powertrains, it should be a red flag IMO when car shopping. not saying you cant enjoy their cars but they are price point cars that use cheap/low quality parts throughout their cars to keep msrp costs down. even the current 2023s already have safety recalls… but, if someone wants to buy a hyundai, not my money.
2 of those recalls are for 2012-2016 Hyundai models. The one for 2022 affect 16 vehicles. Show me any major auto builder without a list of recalls.
Hyundai is presently building a good product.

2 of those recalls are for 2012-2016 Hyundai models. The one for 2022 affect 16 vehicles. Show me any major auto builder without a list of recalls.
Hyundai is presently building a good product.
Years ago we used to laugh when folks told us they were gonna to see Kia and Hyundai.
Now you’re right. They make some really nice vehicles. The Genesis series are super nice.

Years ago we used to laugh when folks told us they were gonna to see Kia and Hyundai.
Now you’re right. They make some really nice vehicles. The Genesis series are super nice.
Yes very nice looking, and JD Power, the benchmark in automotive customer satisfaction ratings, has them near the top for 3 straight years now. That's no easy feat. They have come a long long way since the 90's when they were using Mitsubishi engines and lord knows what suspension parts, but wasn't a terrible product even then.

Yes very nice looking, and JD Power, the benchmark in automotive customer satisfaction ratings, has them near the top for 3 straight years now. That's no easy feat. They have come a long long way since the 90's when they were using Mitsubishi engines and lord knows what suspension parts, but wasn't a terrible product even then.
The Hyundai Pony left a lot to be desired and all of it's brethren in those days sucked...and sucked badly..

I remember people having the early Sonatas and everything that could go wrong with them did...

Here's what happens when you don't cough up $16K.

"Tesla's Legal page has an "Unsupported or Salvage Vehicle Policy" which covers salvaged vehicles as a whole, whether or not the reason for being salvaged is related to the high voltage battery pack. Specifically, it states that Tesla will permanently disable access to its Supercharging network for any unsupported repairs to protect its own vehicles and its repair technicians."
That could tell you several things about Tesla: 1) It's a bobo company or 2) They are really overprotective of those cars, I wonder what they are worried about?

The wife's new Edge has a lot of tech, the center screen is basically a tablet and all touch controlled with few tactile buttons...

I did note this type of touch screen is a distraction in itself due to user input....to change anything in the climate screen is not done by feel but by sight so changing on the fly isn't easy....

There's little wonder why people get into accidents in these things and why I often see people driving by with their eyes off their road.

The wife's new Edge has a lot of tech, the center screen is basically a tablet and all touch controlled with few tactile buttons...

I did note this type of touch screen is a distraction in itself due to user input....to change anything in the climate screen is not done by feel but by sight so changing on the fly isn't easy....

There's little wonder why people get into accidents in these things and why I often see people driving by with their eyes off their road.
Vehicle has Sync4 in it
Push the ‘speak’ button on steering wheel
After the ‘ding’ say ‘set temperature to ** degrees’
You don’t have to touch the screen for much as most can be done via voice control.
Thought you were all techy? Cmon man!

Vehicle has Sync4 in it
Push the ‘speak’ button on steering wheel
After the ‘ding’ say ‘set temperature to ** degrees’
You don’t have to touch the screen for much as most can be done via voice control.
Thought you were all techy? Cmon man!
I have it in my truck and have never used it....

I will tell her but I won't hold my breath that she will use it...

Excited Fan GIF by Paramount+

JD Power and Associates rating IS actually an easy feat, if you know the system, and won by GM many times; want to know how?
(I have also worked in the auto industry for almost 9 years now, in QC, and now New Product Engineering and Design, so this is first hand knowledge, not something I read somewhere).
When JDP is going to review anything, vehicles in this case(and yes, Hyundai and Kia make good stuff), the arrangements are made with the manufacturer, and vehicles will be supplied for testing at an agreed time.
The regular assembly line production of said vehicles is then dramatically changed.
The amount of extra hands on deck, as well as many extra quality checks are done, are much more involved than the regular assembly line runs.
So, you end up with the best possible finished product for JDP, and then it's just the normal operation for the rest of that model vehicle, lol.
Granted, that would add to the overall cost of a vehicle, and the business model is to make something good...but unfortunately is still Designed to wear out.
JDP has alot of politics...

Sold the Focus.....had a lot of people interested....

The winter tire package finally arrived the other day so the wife took it to the dealer to have them installed as it was a free service...so why not...

One thing I did note, the service dept at the local Ford dealership have the personality of the stapler on their desk....no smiles or joke cracking or anything....when I take my truck to the Ram dealership, the service department there are always smiling and cracking jokes....and they address you with your name (they get it off the computer after all). My belief is the service dept is the face of a dealership and the entire vibe comes from their desk...

The good thing is that will be the last time the Ford dealership sees those tires as I will be changing them out from now on...

Glad you went with Ford. Next door neighbor has a Hyundai, motor went out first then the trans. Then speakers and seat belts. You don’t know how good a car is till you have it about 3 years. Hey the warranty was good, but had to fight them a bit.

Glad you went with Ford. Next door neighbor has a Hyundai, motor went out first then the trans. Then speakers and seat belts. You don’t know how good a car is till you have it about 3 years. Hey the warranty was good, but had to fight them a bit.
I have a neighbor who has a Hyundai that they've had since 2012 and it has given them zero issues......and I know someone who had the transmission break in 2 yrs...it's hit and miss I guess.

My wife had 4 Focus cars back to back in a row, one of them blew the engine with 120,000kms on it but the other three were stellar...

I was an F-150 guy who went to a Ram in 2016.....if Ford had the Tremor package at that time, I would have one of those...

Sold the Focus.....had a lot of people interested....

The winter tire package finally arrived the other day so the wife took it to the dealer to have them installed as it was a free service...so why not...

One thing I did note, the service dept at the local Ford dealership have the personality of the stapler on their desk....no smiles or joke cracking or anything....when I take my truck to the Ram dealership, the service department there are always smiling and cracking jokes....and they address you with your name (they get it off the computer after all). My belief is the service dept is the face of a dealership and the entire vibe comes from their desk...

The good thing is that will be the last time the Ford dealership sees those tires as I will be changing them out from now on...
You have no idea. I answer multiple calls in sales wanting to complain about service. I’m willing to listen and be their pincushion but they always get even more upset when I can’t help them and send them right back to place they hate……service.

The wife was saying her new SUV is a bit of a dog out in the passing lanes..

I told her to put it in sport mode when she wants to pass because it defaults to economy mode (I set it up like that).

I took it over to get an oil change and on the way back while sitting number 1 at a set of lights, I put it in sport mode and when the light turned green I stomped on it just a little, it launched pretty hard and sucked me into the seat......and tracked perfectly straight due to the advanced AWD......

Pretty underrated vehicle if you ask me.......

Back