WI Cemetery ride 10-18-09 Pics

Lurch

The milkman cometh!!!
Donating Member
Registered
Here are the pictures from todays ride. We toured cemeteries in Kenosha county. Something different that fit the season.

This first picture shows the temp when we left on the bikes.
P1070757.jpg

These show the frost on the grass when we left

P1070758.jpg

P1070760.jpg

P1070761.jpg

P1070757.jpg

P1070758.jpg

P1070760.jpg

P1070761.jpg

30F is a reason to stay in bed! Glad you guys had a good ride :thumbsup:

Layers baby!! And I highly recommend the little hand warmer thingy's (yes, there's that word again). I had a heat patch on my stomache, one for each hand and foot. Put them on at 9:00am and their still warm. Really made a difference. Oh, and can't forget the UnderArmor (thanks Mikey!). Great ride with great people.

Don't need to layer when it's 71F and sunny :poke:

here we go. As you can see we have some old cemeteries here in Wisconsin
100_1664.jpg

100_1678.jpg

This person was born in 1803/04.
100_1679.jpg

It is amazing to read headstones and look into the past like that and wonder what life was like then.

100_1664.jpg

100_1678.jpg

100_1679.jpg

So I saw war69's pics as well. Very kool (no pun intended:laugh:) that you all got out and rode.
But I have to ask....what's w/ the infatuation of the cemeteries!? Strange to say the least.

The cemetery thing started as a concept (you know, Halloween...creepy cemeteries). But for me when I got there and saw some of the really old tombstones it made me wonder who the people were and what their life was like. A couple of them that we saw died before the invention of the car. It just made me think about all the stories that surrounded us.

Oh yeah, and it was soooo peaceful and beautiful in a strange way.

The cemetery thing started as a concept (you know, Halloween...creepy cemeteries). But for me when I got there and saw some of the really old tombstones it made me wonder who the people were and what their life was like. A couple of them that we saw died before the invention of the car. It just made me think about all the stories that surrounded us.

There are a few serious tributes to the end of ones life in those pics. Some of the headstones are nothing short of unobtainable nowadays. Amazing how old some of the headstones are. I think I'm shocked by how young some of the deceased were.

There are a few serious tributes to the end of ones life in those pics. Some of the headstones are nothing short of unobtainable nowadays. Amazing how old some of the headstones are. I think I'm shocked by how young some of the deceased were.

Some of the ones we saw were so sad as they showed several children that were lost at a very young age. Some were teens. The tragedy these people went through.

One other thing that stood out was that some of these plots where people had died over 100 years ago still had fresh flowers on them. Talk about a close family. This was a really interesting day. I liked it a lot.

I have to agree. This started off as a season inspired ride. But as we went along the ride and visited the different small cemeteries, it became more of a history lesson and a thought inspiring time. See the old headstones and thinking about what it took to make them and how they were made. I started to think about what it was like to live during those times and what these small towns were like back then. It was interesting to see some of the younger ones and I noticed a pattern. Most of the children that did not out survive their parents, passed in the winter time. Also they usually passed at a very young age some only days or months old. It makes one greatful for the wonders of modern medicine and the things we take for granted now in the 21 century.

This was an eye opening day that I was able to share with a great group of people. I would highly recommend the next time you are out in the middle of nowhere and spot a cemetery that you stop and look around. Find the oldest headstone and think about what it was like to live in that area during those times.

Happy, safe riding to all and take that "strange" ride. You never know what thoughts it might inspire.

Here is one of my favorites from today.
When they say buried up on the hill under the old oak tree, this is literally buried under the old oak tree.

Just awe inspiring to think how old these really are.

100_1736.jpg

100_1737.jpg

100_1736.jpg

100_1737.jpg

I have to agree. This started off as a season inspired ride. But as we went along the ride and visited the different small cemeteries, it became more of a history lesson and a thought inspiring time. See the old headstones and thinking about what it took to make them and how they were made. I started to think about what it was like to live during those times and what these small towns were like back then. It was interesting to see some of the younger ones and I noticed a pattern. Most of the children that did not out survive their parents, passed in the winter time. Also they usually passed at a very young age some only days or months old. It makes one greatful for the wonders of modern medicine and the things we take for granted now in the 21 century.

This was an eye opening day that I was able to share with a great group of people. I would highly recommend the next time you are out in the middle of nowhere and spot a cemetery that you stop and look around. Find the oldest headstone and think about what it was like to live in that area during those times.

Happy, safe riding to all and take that "strange" ride. You never know what thoughts it might inspire.

This thread actually has inspired me to do just that. The next ride my group does....I know of at least two old cemeteries we pass. I will stop and take in the time to reflect. :thumbsup:

Back