why to get a motorcycle

You need primary transportation?  bikes are not always the greatest choice..

But... you need daily transportation and so I would be aiming at the "necessities" of life rather that the fluff...  

Get a loan on a car
i have primary transportation i have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee. as my daily driver

Guys,
I have met and watched Cody Race. He seems to be a pretty level headed kid for his age and he can drag race a bike pretty danged good. He will be one that has to be delt with in PMRA. He has a pretty good support network of peers at the track in Eric and Aaron as well. I think Cody is looking for ways to make the purchase happen more than if he should start with a 1000+cc bike or not. Someone can act just as stupid on a 600 as a large bike. He has pretty much proven to me he has the skills to handle a larger bike.

Cody, the biggest problem you are going to have is the resistance to go fast on the street. Peer pressure is very hard to overcome even at my age. It is usually much more difficult at younger ages. Like said before insurance is going to be rough for your age and most places are going to require it to secure the loan. If it was drag only, you still have to worry about theft etc.

Not knowing much about whether you are in school still, living at home, working full time etc. You may be better off finding a bike that you can afford to buy out of your pocket. Maybe you can get your dad to sponsor you by paying some of your entry fees etc. Between payments, interest, and insurance you'll be paying much more than I think you realize.
Shoot you can race an older 9, 1000, or Busa (like you have been or about anything for that matter). Dad might even be more willing to help cosign for $1500-2000 instead of $4000 .

thanks rick i really dont think he would have a problem buying me the bike out right. I dont mean to sound blunt but the main reason i want to get a loan is because i want to show my dad that i want to take responsibility and make payments instead of just getting it handed to me. and yes i am still in school working part time. i have figured up what it is going to cost me monthly payment wise and i can make the payment no prolem. i didn't think to much about insurance until i went online and got some quotes and WOW that is where it gets expensive. So i think i am going to take your advice and try and find and older 9 or 1k. rick will yo keep your eyes open for me in the oklahoma city area for one.if you happen to come acroos one would you pm me. thanks alot

thanks rick i really dont think he would have a problem buying me the bike out right. I dont mean to sound blunt but the main reason i want to get a loan is because i want to show my dad that i want to take responsibility and make payments instead of just getting it handed to me. and yes i am still in school working part time. i have figured up what it is going to cost me monthly payment wise and i can make the payment no prolem. i didn't think to much about insurance until i went online and got some quotes and WOW that is where it gets expensive. So i think i am going to take your advice and try and find and older 9 or 1k. rick will yo keep your eyes open for me in the oklahoma city area for one.if you happen to come acroos one would you pm me. thanks alot
Insurance was what concerned me about it being a zx10 and not your ability to ride it. Insurance kills me to this day, almost 30 with 2 kids.

Get an education! Put everything on hold until you do. Nothing is as important as building a firm, solid foundation. Take out a loan for education b4 a motorcycle. If you skimp on it now, you will be stuck in close to nowhere jobs where you scrape by your whole life, generally speaking. No steady girlfriends til your 25 and put your life in order. Take it from Lamb, get educated and get in your field of study. Racing will be there in 6-7 years and you'll have more money-making potential to really equip yourself to compete. 18 is an important age, use your brain or you'll be stuck using your body your whole life.
Thank you

I have a degree. Did the corporate office scene for 8 years. Was miserable. Been working with my body since then. Dirty hands, clean conscious. Education is very important, but it comes in many forms. Nowadays the average grad enters the workforce with something like 90K in debt before they even get a start on a career. There's an education already.

My 2cents:

Getting your dad to co-sign for a bike loan in order to build credit is a bad idea. You say you have regular transportation, thus the bike would be a luxury not a necessity. And if you use it primarily to race, you are racing a piece of machinery that you can't afford. Even if you don't crash it, you will likely be running it hard, and there may be maintenance costs you haven't considered.

It's my philosophy that credit should only be used as a last resort. If you need to buy a home, fine get a mortgage. If you need to pay tuition, go ahead and get a loan. But getting a loan at 18 years old for a luxury that you may very well crash is asking for credit problems in the future.

$7500 isn't THAT much money, and you are just starting out in life. If you want to show your dad that you are responsible, then do the responsible thing and save up for your own bike.

Back