why to get a motorcycle

codyc_13

Registered
ok guys i am trying to convince my dad to buy me get a bike. i have found one that he has shown some intrest in buy i dont know. the thing with my dad is i think i could get him to get it for me if i approched it in a responsible and benificial way. what i am going to do is tpye up kinda a formal document. the bike is 7500 dollars its an 06 zx 10 with 5000 miles i know the guy so its been taken care of. i am going to ask him to pay for 3500 of it and as i just tured 18 see if he will co sign for me on a loan i am going to include what i make a month how much the monthly payment is at different interest rates and time periods. i am going to include how it will be benificial for me to get a loan an start establishing some credit i will also include that i understand thast it can also hurt me if i dont pay and it can also hurt him. the thing is i am not very good at writing stuff out to sound good do you guys have any other things why a bike and loan could be benificial for me. I really want to stary establishing credit too so this is not all for the bike in the futuer or how i could go about putting all of this stuff in document form to make it sound good

At 18, you are going to get raped for insurance on a litre bike
lurk.gif

Exactly, you may want to start off with a bike you can learn on before you go hyper bike. It's like to learning to fly in a F-117A

i've never had a bike of my own but i have a really close friend that has a 2007 hayabusa a 200o zx9r and a 9.90 dragbike. i have been riding the zx9r that is jetted lowered ect. for the past 2 years and just last year i started racing the zx9r in the pmra. i have rode his busa plently of times, i do have my motorcycle endorsment and i do rode several times a week. that is another reason my dad is thinking about getting me a bike is he wants to come see me race and if i get the zx 10 my brother will start racing the zx 9. i also have never rode anything smaller than the 900 it runs 10.40's and i feel confortable on it i dont want anything smaller becase i would just turn around and want something faster as the main purpose on the bike would be to race.

+1 on that. at 18, are you SURE you can be responsible enough to ride this bike in a way that you won't kill yourself? We had a discussion here recently about this, and you may want to read it.

Also include in your "proposal" that you agree to buy (and wear at all times) a helmet, riding jacket, gloves, boots, etc.

I still think that a liter bike for an 18 yr old is generally a bad idea.

If you don't have a street bike experience, I wouldn't get that bike.  Not only is very powerful and not forgiving, but it costs $7500.

You are much better off buying an older/cheaper bike for your first street bike.  Maybe a SV650.

If you are getting the 1000 anyway, getting a loan for a used motorcycle isn't easy and generally doesn't have good intrest rates.  You are better off buying a used bike by saving up.  I know it won't help your credit, but the way to start getting credit it to get a starter card from the bank you have a savings/checking account with.

I know I didn't give an answer you were looking for, but you may want to reconsider buying an expensive powerful bike through your dad. Another thing to consider is if you crash it, you will still have to pay the loan off.

Just saw your reply, you and I were typing at the same time.
winkold.gif

If its going to be a race only bike, you wouldn't need insurance. But if you have a loan, the lender will require insurance. If your dad's willing, might as well buy it 100% and race it only so you don't need insurance.

I don't think taking the approach that if you don't pay will hurt him also is very wise. You need to show him that the risk to him is as low as possible. His first concern may well be, how hurt will he be if you wreck it and not have insurance. So have you looked and what insurance will cost you at your age for that bike and can you afford that?

I'm not a father myself, but I think what you are proposing is going to be a hard sale if you don't give your dad the impression that you and can be responsible in owning this. That includes insuring it against total loss so he is protected in case of that loss.

So research and presnt as much of the good things you can about this.

buying a bike that you're going to use JUST for racing when you dont have a regular street bike seems odd to me too.

Any chance you could find a bike that's already been down a few times for less money? Looks dont really matter if you're racing, and it could save you a lot of money going that route.

Quite honestly, if you just turned 18 and your looking to "build" credit your local banks have things called signature loans in which they loan you a small amount of money ($500) and you sit on it for a minimun of six months to apply to your credit history. As far as your ride goes man, im assuming you dont have the idea to entertain a car or truck. im not tryin to discourage your idea to own a bike. Liter bikes are horrible learners... I can understand your frustration when i say to you that at 18 its not a grand idea to get a crotch rocket. But the responsibility lies on your shoulders. All im asking as one rider to another is that you DO NOT go out in town acting like an idiot. There is nothing more frustrating than idiots making a bad name for sports bike riders. And not to put a finger on anyone but MOST of the time the ignorant riders are the young ones. Be safe, ride strong bro.
ohthedrama.gif

its not a learner bike i have been riding for 2 years on a beefed up zx9. trust me when i say i am not the stupid kind i have seen 2 many people downed as a matter of fact when i was 13 my brother was doing a wheelie in front of our house and gave it to much gas it was a pretty nasty wreck i dont like to go fast unless im on the drag strip. i fell very confident that i can handle this bike

So what are you asking our opinion for, exactly? I guess I'm a little confused here, because it seems to me as if you already have your mind made up on this.

This is NOT a personal attack on you, so don't get offended:

"Man-Up", do what you have to do, and get a bike that you can afford on your own. You will absolutely be able to take more pride in your ride if earn it the old fashioned way.

Sure, you can have a sentimental attachment to a bike that your father helps you buy. I can appreciate that. I just think that at your age, it will be a good experience to do what it takes to buy your own ride. Responsibility, and accountability are hallmarks of good character.

There, I'm off the soap box.
beerchug.gif

Hard head makes a soft behind. Kids, they ask your opinion, and then go off and do just the opposite. Listen to the majority, there's a lot of experience talking here.

Tall order IMO..

You need primary transportation? bikes are not always the greatest choice..
You need credit building? Again bikes are not always the greatest choice.
You are 18 and on the street?.. ""

Racing only is not that bad an idea for a bike IMO..

But... you need daily transportation and so I would be aiming at the "necessities" of life rather that the fluff...

Get a loan on a car, establish your credit and then get a loan on a bike after you show you can make the payments... I think you are on the cusp of finding out just how much a good education matters now days. Good paying jobs take guys that were willing to hang in there with school and go to college.. (man I can not believe I said that)

I know at 18 things never come to you quite fast enough.. but there are a lot of guys here that waited years to own a bike. They had to prioritize their needs with their incomes and so brains over desire won out...

I think your dad would be more impressed with a "wise" decision than one out of the "lust for speed" that we all have when we get our bikes..

I am sure your dad plans on you being in your own home pretty soon, you may want to keep that in the back of your head too..

For what it's worth, here is my 2 cents worth. It is fine to build your credit and like the other member said, a small loan that is repaid in a 6 to 12 month perios is a great way to do it. Like also mentioned, insurance is going to kill you. I have been riding a dirt bike since I was 7 yrs old and on a street bike since I was 17. I am now 41 and can honestly say looking back that if I had a ZX 10 or my busa when I was 18, I probably wouldn't be alive right now. I realize you are a good rider and have some experience. When i was 18 I was too. I just don't want to see anyone get in over their head. If my 18 year old kid asked me to help him get a ZX 10, The answer would be a deffinate NO> Not trying to discourage you from riding, just looking at it from not only a fathers eyes (father of 3, who all have dirt bikes)but also from the eyes of experience. I remember being 18. My advice would be a 600. Most people on 600's don't even ride them to their potential.

Hey your second post wasn't there when I posted my first one. Cody you are not a beginner bike rider I can see that now. So from that perspective your dad is apparently fully on board with the idea of you racing and kudos to you both. My post on insurance will not apply if it is a race only bike.

But as pointed out, this is not how you build credit, by getting a loan on a racebike. Banks will want insuarnce anyway to protect them and if they even sniff the word "racing use" in your story, you are done for in getting a loan.

Back