Why is buying a new car such a Pain in the Azz

I know of a good salesman that can obtain any brand for sale or lease. Your profile doesn't say where you are. He's in SoCal. Ask for Lee. 714 972-1270. Tell him Terry sent you.

(ks-waterbug @ Sep. 12 2007,06:52) "If I decide to buy this automobile right now and here; Can you authorize the deal?" If the answer is no, I tell them to go get the person who can or I walk..... No middle man!
Absolutely right man! The old "let me run this by my manager BS is an instant walk away for me! When we bought my wife's Expedition I had priced out all of the options and had priced out the "trade in Value" of her Maxima and went to the dealer ready to pay cash. I walked out of three dealerships before I finally walked in and said look this is what I want Here is what it is worth to me and here our trade and here is what it is worth to me. Do we have a workable deal here or am I walking. Fourth dealer said absolutely and we were out the door in under an hour. Preparedness is your friend. Don't let them talk you into all the extra BS you knew before you got there you did not want! Facts and Data are your friend!

the only ones I truly hate are the slick back hair sh1t eating smirky suit wearing greasy a-holes that can't be bothered to look away from their blackberry or stop polishing their USA imported Vette to answer a question unless you have thousand dollar bills dripping out of your pockets.

And young managers. You know the type- Daddy is retiring so sonny is taking over, and -knows- every - f***ing - thing.....jerks.

Been there, done that. F'en car salesmen.
guns.gif

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 12 2007,13:41)
(jessup @ Sep. 12 2007,11:15)
(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 12 2007,09:59) What I hate is when the first thing out of their mouth is how much you want to pay a month. I want a deal on a specific car, nit let them put the least amout of car they can into my budget.
Unfortunately that is not their fault. Most consumers start their shopping expeditions based on the amount they can afford to pay each month. Dealers recognize that and play to it... Thats all I am ever asked some times by Buyers... How much is that a month... I just how much do you have?
I'm sure its a valid question. I just don't think it is an appropriate first question. I walk away when the conversation starts "Hi, I'm Bob. So how much are you looking to pay a month?" The salesman obviously underestimates or doesn't care about my knowledge of the vehicle I'm looking to purchase.
I completely agree. I just think we have trained them to go in on that tack... The good sales people have a lot more tact and understanding of the consumer. I personally love dealing with car salesman because it is fun to screw with some of them...

jessup, I'd buy a front row ticket to see you dealing with a car salesman!

I stopped dickin` with carsalesmen. It is just too much of a head ache to deal with these people.

Two stories on buying cars.

I went with the wife to look at a Nissan Armada for the wife. After three visits the wife decides on the color that she likes. Salesman asks us to test drive the car. OK. Wife fall in love with the Armada. I ask the salesman what is he willing to take off of the price? He says"nothing", this is our best seller, and I don`t  have to lower the price. Sticker was $40,000. I wenthome and got on Carsdirect. I built the Armada, and the total came to $31,500. Ordered the car. Guess who services it?

Went to the local Toyota dealer to buy the daughter a car for school. Found a Toyota (Scion) Xa, 07 for $15,300. Same price on carsdirect.com. No room movement on the Scions. Went to the Nissan dealership and asked about the Sentra. Had a special in the local paper for $12,999, 1 only. I get there and it is a white car with a 5 speed man trany, man windows, plastic seats. I tell the salesman that I want a car but will not go for the running back and forth to the manager. they show me a new Sentra for $19, 899. I tell them that this is for a 17year old. I am not about to spend $20,000 for a 17 yrold to drive back and forward to school. Told the salesman that I would give him one shot and one only to sell me a car because I had a Scion waiting on me at the Toyota dealer. Salesman asks me what did I want to pay for this car? I said less than what the Scion is going for. Salesman left, after a few minutes he came back and offered the Sentra for $14,999 out the door. Daughter drives a Sentra.

I like to go to Carsdirect.com. I build the car that I want and that is it.

The last car my wife and I obtained was a 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan which we leased.

My sales process went something like this:
- I called every Infiniti dealership within a 4 hour drive and told the internet sales manager I would be paying $0 down, the color and options I wanted and to gove me your best price because I was going to shop it around and if they had it at the price I had calculated or it was the lowest bid I would be there that day or next to pick it up.

Believe me your local dealer does not want to lose business to the same manufacturer dealer outside their market and the dealers outside your market would love to get a customer from outside their market. Just be very up front and ask them to do the same.

Like has been said before-never deal with salesmen....period. They are only good for test drives. Last couple cars I bought, I have preshopped, wnet in to most senior manager on lot: owner is best, general manager, sales manager ...who ever is top guy available. Tell him/her this is the car I want what will you sell it for? i won't waste your time nor mine. If your price is fair, I'll buy it if not I walk. One price. Amazing how fast the price falls!

First off, go to your bank or credit union and get pre approved, go online and do your on search of the vehicle you want with all the feature and also try to locate it. Talk to the internet salesman make a offer, the deal will be fair "should be" because they don't know who you are. Stick to your guns and stay with your price, they still will try and play that game, but stay strong and eliminate the middle man, the deal was made on the phone already.
super.gif

(smonroe86 @ Sep. 12 2007,06
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) lol i just cruise threw on my bike so when they come out you just go a little faster...  its pretty funny  
all_coholic.gif
Guys, I feel like I must chime in here. I feel insulted by this post because I sell cars for a living, and have for over 15 years. It's not an easy job, and I work hard and long hours . When we lump all people into one group, it's like saying everyone who rides a sport bike is a squid, Or anyone who is a doctor is dishonest and is just in it for the$$, Or all lawyers are crooks etc. Some members here would have problems with that too. I have a great following with my customers because I listen to what they want, and try to get it to them for the best possiable deal and thats why they come back to me. Are there strokes in the business, you bet, but thats what is great about our country. You can decide on who to do business with. It's just like anything else, if you find a good car guy, do business with him, a good insurance man, give him your business, a good doctor, better keep him and so on and so on. There are some great folks in the car business just like any other business, some of you just havn't found one. I have done my best through other posts, to give help to someone who wants to make a car purchase, with no other motive than to help an org member. So please keep this in mind when you make your posts about all people who fill in the blank, are crooks. Steve, sounds like you have a good time running car sales people around the lot, but please keep in mind your new jacket was purchased with money EARNED from selling cars and donated to you.
rant.gif

Unfortunately, I can't view youtube at work, but check out these commercials from a local dealership:
Do a search for Johnson No Badgers. Pretty funny.

GSXcite: I hear you on the car salesman, but unfortunately there are a lot of bad apples out there. My last car buying experience wasn't very good. I realized they were trying to wear me down by playing the 'let me ask my manager' game. I think there is a lot of high-pressure sales for a big ticket item. There are good guys out there, but they are overshadowed by the bad ones. Glad to hear you are one of the good ones - do you do out of state? We're actually looking for a new Honda Pilot...

Speaking of lawyers, how many lawyer jokes are there? None. They are all true.
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
gsxcite... My uncle is one of the most honest car salesmen that you will find but even he laments the absolute nastiness of his peers... We all know that there are good guys out there but there are more that give you all a bad name same as any industry.
E
cool.gif

(whitele @ Sep. 18 2007,13:37) Unfortunately, I can't view youtube at work, but check out these commercials from a local dealership:

GSXcite: I hear you on the car salesman, but unfortunately there are a lot of bad apples out there. My last car buying experience wasn't very good. I realized they were trying to wear me down by playing the 'let me ask my manager' game. I think there is a lot of high-pressure sales for a big ticket item. There are good guys out there, but they are overshadowed by the bad ones. Glad to hear you are one of the good ones - do you do out of state? We're actually looking for a new Honda Pilot...

laugh.gif
Let me know what you want and I'll get you the best possiable price and ship it to you!

(jessup @ Sep. 18 2007,13:59) gsxcite... My uncle is one of the most honest car salesmen that you will find but even he laments the absolute nastiness of his peers...   We all know that there are good guys out there but there are more that give you all a bad name same as any industry.  
E
cool.gif
No doubt, there are alot of bad ones, the point I'm making is that they are not ALL bad. I think we can say the same thing about any other business. I went to work for a good friend in the mortgage business just to try something new. I worked for him for about three weeks. If I have to take advantage of people to make a living, I would rather starve. I could tell you some great storys about things customers have done too that are not on the up and up.

Don't get offended GS, there are some good salesman and dealerships like I stated earlier but they are rare. My local Chrysler dealership is excellent. You go there they tell you about the car, let you test drive it and actually let you think about it. Give you an honest price from the get go with incentives and finacing options. No BS. And I can always knock another grand off the price for being a repeat customer.

Key is they don't try and bullshit you and talk you into buying the car they want to sell you but let you think about it and buy the one that you actually want. They even let me have a car for a day to help me think about it more and see if suits me. They are great but I do have a desire for something other than a dodge or chrysler.

They don't ask me a bunch of stupid questions that has nothing to do with buying a car. They let me ask the questions and they are happy to answer any questions. No slick talking or lies. Wish they all had professionalism like this.

A friend of mine just bought a car from a Suzuki dealership. No BS. They took 5grand off the price of the vehicle and great financing. No games with the interest rate and terms. Some guys will knock any amount off the price of the vehicle just to get all their money on the interest rate and loan term. One dealership gave me a great price but the term was 90 months. Who buys a car at 90 months.

(GSXcite @ Sep. 18 2007,20:02)
(whitele @ Sep. 18 2007,13:37) Unfortunately, I can't view youtube at work, but check out these commercials from a local dealership:

laugh.gif
Let me know what you want and I'll get you the best possiable price and ship it to you!
Thanks! I'll definitely contact you before buying here... I can't get the website in your sig to load tho...

Here's my favorite no badger commercial - wiggle room...

Check out more from the same user...

Back