Why is a sport bike better than a harley?

Sport bikes are not overpriced. Sport bikes keep up with technology. Sport bikes steer and brake. Sport bikes have very usable horse power.

Sport bikes keep up with technology.

Interesting statement that I likely would have agreed with a few weeks ago -- Then a coworker bought a 2012 FatBob. He has ABS, keyless (bluetooth keyfob) ignition, electronic throttle control & cruise control; all from the factory.

While my tastes definitely lean toward the sport bike side of things, I have to admit that I was and am jealous of the tech on his bike.

--Sky

Interesting statement that I likely would have agreed with a few weeks ago -- Then a coworker bought a 2012 FatBob. He has ABS, keyless (bluetooth keyfob) ignition, electronic throttle control & cruise control; all from the factory.

While my tastes definitely lean toward the sport bike side of things, I have to admit that I was and am jealous of the tech on his bike.

--Sky

All those farkles are true, but what about the brakes, frame, suspension and motor?

All those farkles are true, but what about the brakes, frame, suspension and motor?

If you'll notice from my post I took no issue with Bo's Statement that:

Sport bikes steer and brake. Sport bikes have very usable horse power.

I merely suggested that there is some pretty advanced tech on some HDs from the factory that many here on this very forum complain has not been introduced by Suzuki on the Hayabusa.

--Sky

Okay so if you sit on a harley it may be more comfortable but if i just wanted to sit along side the road i would rather just push my recliner out to the sidewald

Sportbikes are better that Harleys because sportbikes don't have COMPENSATOR SPROCKETS that go out after 20,000 miles :banghead: Anybody that's has owned a Harley for any length of time and actually rides it (not a garage queen) knows what I'm talking about. The Motor Company even knows it's a poor design but continues to use it. Figure that one out. I'll be the first to admit I talked trash about Harley for years without ever owning one. One day I made the mistake of buying a brand new 2009 Dyna Street Bob. 1 1/2 years and 22,000 miles later I traded it in on a ZX14 after I got tired of replacing parts on the Harley...Compensator Spocket, twice...clutch hub...starter, twice, once by Harley once by me...rear sprocket after it sheared the bolts on the hub and the front wheel bearings once. Not to mention constantly having to tighten bolts all over the bike just so parts wouldn't fall off going down the road. I shoulda bought stock in Loctight. That thing was a money pit. I can now speak from experience and I will never own another Harley.

I remember this 1 harley full dresser pulled up next to me at a light and it was all chromed out and had a custom paint job. The bike had to be $30k easily :whistle: and i remember the guy looked over at my bike and gave me a smug look like "mine is better". It did look nice, i cant deny that but all I kept looking at was how violently that motor was shaking on the frame. I dont know if thats normal on a harley but I could see how and why parts fall off or need re-tightened.

If not for favorable regulations, Harley would not be winning much of anything. Americans like to see American bikes and cars win so the sanctioning body writes the regulations to make them competitive. Harleys "rich racing history" has always been a sore spot with me personally.

One of my coworkers has a beautiful Ultra Classic with Kuryakin everything in a skull theme and he rides it to work around once a month on average. He's done it all, pipes, covers, chrome. He will not ride it if there is any changce or weather or if it's going to be windy because it takes too long to polish back up. One day he came in and told us how as he came to the main gate he tried to downshift and his shift pedal was gone. Me and my bud both ride Busas and we just laughed at him. For him it's about image and belonging to the local HOG club. I can respect that but I'd rather just ride my ass off.

I remember this 1 harley full dresser pulled up next to me at a light and it was all chromed out and had a custom paint job. The bike had to be $30k easily :whistle: and i remember the guy looked over at my bike and gave me a smug look like "mine is better". It did look nice, i cant deny that but all I kept looking at was how violently that motor was shaking on the frame. I dont know if thats normal on a harley but I could see how and why parts fall off or need re-tightened.

Harley discovered Loctite, so they seem to have stopped things falling off. The funny thing is they have a B motor with a balance shaft, on the Softail and the Heritage, but most buyers prefer the shaking rubber mounted motor, it seems to be part of what the consumer wants and why Harley continues to sell it. Mine, just North of 100mph actually gets that vibration through to the front wheel, interesting feeling, yet the bike remains stable. :laugh:

Harley discovered Loctite, so they seem to have stopped things falling off. The funny thing is they have a B motor with a balance shaft, on the Softail and the Heritage, but most buyers prefer the shaking rubber mounted motor, it seems to be part of what the consumer wants and why Harley continues to sell it. Mine, just North of 100mph actually gets that vibration through to the front wheel, interesting feeling, yet the bike remains stable. :laugh:

Well whoever puts the loctite on the bolts in the assembly line must have been off the day the one I had was assembled.

Well whoever puts the loctite on the bolts in the assembly line must have been off the day the one I had was assembled.

What year was yours? Mine is a 2010 and at 7,000 miles only thing I had to do to it is tighten the belt a little. (And replace the one turn signal lamp after hitting a deer)

Yeah, I just read your post about that and after reading it, think I'm going to buy at least a couple more Harley's.:laugh:

Well it's true... I see it time and time again.

Sport bikes are for the enjoyment of precision riding.

Cruisers are for the enjoyment of "the ride".

Choppers are for looking like a badass so you can live out your fantasy and/or allow some girl to live out hers.

Now... on to tattoos...

What year was yours? Mine is a 2010 and at 7,000 miles only thing I had to do to it is tighten the belt a little. (And replace the one turn signal lamp after hitting a deer)

Mine was a 2009. I had it for a year and a half. It was brand new when I got it and had 23,000 miles on it when I wised up and traded it in. That's 23,000 miles in 1 1/2 years and that's with seat time being shared with my four other bikes. Hate to think if that would have been my only bike, it woulda been a pile of bolts in less that a year. Like I said, a Harley may be a good bike if it's gonna sit in the garage and just get looked at, but if you actually ride like I do, it's gonna fall apart......Just my experience and opinion of course.

Here's a pic of the ole bucket about three days before I got rid of it

Street bob.jpg

ridden and owned both and they best each other in different areas and thus in the end are equal. I respect anything with two wheels and a motor. My busa can't be beat for fun, handling, and speed. However I could not imagine doing 19 hours straight on my busa like I did on my harley in 03 when I went from baltimore to milwaukee for the hd 100th. as an avid biker I like all motorcycles and they each have their advantages, like women all have something that makes them enjoyable to ride lol

Well it's true... I see it time and time again.

Sport bikes are for the enjoyment of precision riding.

Cruisers are for the enjoyment of "the ride".

Choppers are for looking like a badass so you can live out your fantasy and/or allow some girl to live out hers.

Now... on to tattoos...

:fight: hay now! have you ever built a chopper? they are way fun!

ok, so it rattles more than my harley, and the pipes fall off every 90mi; but it's still fun! :rofl:

barn fresh.jpg

Back