Why is a sport bike better than a harley?

I guess it is like comparing a Porche to a Pick-Up truck when it comes to comparing a Busa to a Harley.

LOL,
I happen to know how that feels as well. :whistle: (my OTHER weekend toy) but the truck is no slouch though (its got a kick that catches most ricers by surprise, thanks to the supercharger)

8266d1109560950-secret-go-fast-mod-can-you-guess-angle-front.jpg

996.jpg

You do realize that they give harley almost twice the displacement of a jap bike and add weight to the jap bikes as well just to give them a chance...I would like to see someone go buy some aftermarket parts and build a 600 HP harley and ride it through city traffic :lol:

Actually, the V-rods in pro stock have to carry 20 extra pounds because they were dominating at the track!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l4HgDQ&usg=AFQjCNGqwtUE_Y0iRrxjhHhncy_hjzc_QA

I think it's funny when folks say Harleys hold their value. If you pay 27000 for a bike and sell it 5 years later for 21,000, did it hold its value more than paying 13000 for a sport bike and selling it for 7000. On a percentage yes but in real world dollars in my wallet no!

We have a hard over Harley rider in our office (It's the only bike and all others suck) and I can say I have over 19000 miles on my bike in 2 years and he has less than 10000 on his. So far he has had his shifter pedal fall off, had to deactivate the automatic shut down of the rear cylinder due to pinging (they couldn't fix it), had it remapped twice for altitude and had to replace a sensor on the primary because it was leaking oil. So far on my bike its been oil and tires and air filter without a hiccup. Besides, I can go really, really fast!:laugh:

I was seriously considering a brand new Ultra Classic for two up riding with the wife and am now considering a BMW or Used Gold wing due to the problems he's had. Although one might consider them minor, I think if you spend that much, it should run perfectly.
maybe you should check ur math. u pay $13k for a busa and its worth half (5) yrs later. u pay $27k for a Harley and its worth a hell of a lot more then $13.5 (5) yrs later so yea a Harley absolutely does hold its value more over time. call it percentage or whatever you want but its a fact a Harley holds its value better then a Busa, GSXR, R1, etc....

unless were playing with monopoly money:whistle: those ARE real world dollars. better and funner to ride? I guess thats up to the person buying the bike. but as far a sport bike being better then a Harley as far as value goes its not even close. if you modify a Harley with chrome, exhaust, rake it, stretch it, etc.... you dont take the same bath you take on a sport bike when you modify it either so the Harley is still a better buy then a sport bike in that reguard as well.

but personally I didnt build my bike to sell it. in fact I dont ever see myself selling my bike. ill just keep modifying it. I cant imagine starting over with a newer generation and dumping money into it when it already makes more power then I cud ever possibly dream of using on the street.

I've never ridden much less owned a Harley . I have ridden cruisers and don't like the way they feel compared to a sportbike . Car wise,it's like stepping out of my RX8 and getting behind the wheel of my '01 Mustang GT . Too cushy and sloppy(but I haven't modded the suspension yet) . That being said Harley does make one bike that interests me,the V-rod . Other than that I like the looks of the Victory baggers if I were to consider a cruiser .

Frankly I admire Harley's. They have managed to take 50 year old technology, packaged it in a bike that has performance a Suzuki Bergman can eat alive, and people love them! They shake, they rattle, you have to shift 4 times to get one up to 50 mph, they break, they leak, they're heavy, they can't turn or stop and they cost a fortune. So how do you sell something like that? Genius, pure and simple genius.:laugh:

Okay so its not a jap bike its german close enogh it wasn't designed by harley

Didn't know Willy G. left Harley and became a German employee.

My Harley is better than my Busa because I don't have to stop every 500 miles to oil the chain and I don't need to buy or use saddle bags and tank bags for a multi-day trip.

My Harley is better than my Busa because it comes stock with air ride.

My Harley is better than my Busa because I don't have to grind on the kickstand so the bike doesn't fall over if it rolls forward a tiney bit.

My Harley is better than my Busa because I don't have to worry about $400 speeding tickets.

My Harley is better than my Busa because I don't have to worry when parked at a bar that some Outlaw is going to torch it.

Can I stop Now????

Yes I hate Harley Bashing. Narrow minded people just annoy me. By bashing Harleys you are no better than the brain dead Harley riders who bash you for riding Jap Cra*.

So stop and think before you bash any bike.

Funny story...happened 9 years ago, and just so we can avoid drama, I started on an 883 Hugger, and LOVED it...until I bought the Busa...

So, I bought the Busa, my then-hubby had a 1200 Sportster. We were out riding back roads, ended up passing some friends, turned around and met up with them in an empty school parking lot. I'm beaming because I'm on the new Busa, hubby is showing off his Sportster front-wheel-bounce to the friends. It was all in fun, the needling back and forth we'd do because he was a diehard HD guy and I was now a sport biker. Well, as we're standing there, talking to friends, and his 1200's front tire is doing the booty dance while his exhaust does the potato-potato, all of the sudden we hear a *clink* and I look down...lying on the ground, engraved with the HD shield, was one of his chrome bar end caps. :rofl:

I just looked up and laughed...sh*t just falls right off of 'em...THAT is why my Busa is better :whistle:

Last edited:
Busa's don't get passed on the NC side of US129 by a...wait for it...Vespa GTS250 with Texas license plates!!!!!

BTW - I also pass HD's on DFW freeways while riding my Vespa.

And Busa rides don't call the Tail of the Dragon, the Tail. We call it the Dragon like everyone else, even the locals.

Sorry, Lurch, you know you're my very favorite HD rider ever. I've just been jaded by the obnoxious HD riders here in DFW.

Busa's don't get passed on the NC side of US129 by a...wait for it...Vespa GTS250 with Texas license plates!!!!!

BTW - I also pass HD's on DFW freeways while riding my Vespa.

And Busa rides don't call the Tail of the Dragon, the Tail. We call it the Dragon like everyone else, even the locals.

Sorry, Lurch, you know you're my very favorite HD rider ever. I've just been jaded by the obnoxious HD riders here in DFW.

I feel you. Not proud to claim them as mine either. LOL

Okay so its not a jap bike its german close enogh it wasn't designed by harley

Not sure where you're getting your info from. That the V-Rod is "german" only to the extent that Harley Davidson's design team "turned to Porsche to adapt this VR engine to be a practical and street legal engine" But looks like LURCH already chimed in first. I will say again what has been said many times before: a-holes/prickheads can be found on any bike...even Busas and scooters. :whistle:

NHRA Story » Pro Stock Motorcycle minimum weight adjustment

These are the racing spec rules off of the NHRA site. V-rod American Pushrod V-twin 160 cubic inch displacement, 4 valve heads (8 valves total)

Suzuki 107 cubic inch displacement, 2 valve heads (8 valves total). They seem to be constantly adjusting the weights to create parity.

I think we need to compare the speed of the Army's M1 Abrahms to the Air Force's F- 15 Strike Eagle. That Abrahms is a piece of junk. To expensive and way to slow to get from here to the desert of Iraq.

To all the Harley bashers, if you were made the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of Harley Davidson tomorrow and you know you have the international market, above 600cc in Japan your company sells more bikes than any single rice burner brand, what would you change to keep your board and your share holders happy?

Since we are on the topic of drag racing...... :poke:

The HD drag racing program is night and day more impressive than the Jap ones. They are taking cruisers and turning them into drag bikes.. Kawi and Suzuki are taking drag bikes and making them faster...

Big difference there...

Even though I feel this way,

Harley's still suck... :whistle:

Had several V-twin choppers in my time (not Japanese).

Here's the deal... A lot of chicks are turned on by the "biker" image. A lot of them are hot...some are not, but Harleys and Special construction bikes are the icon of "Bad Boys".

"Bad Boys" make girls want to play "Bad Girl". It's all role playing. Some girls want to put on a pair of ass-less chaps just as much as many of us would like to see them in a pair.

Add to this that not only does the girl get to play "Outlaw", but V-twins also vibrate in... um... places.

Don't argue... I owned a bar for many years.

Many biker clubs frequented my bar... so do many sport bike riders. The Harleys are the clear winner in "will you take me for a ride?" 5 to 1.

I used to get asked for rides all the time on my chopper... only a couple times on the Busa. The girls want to feel dangerous, not scared I think.

Choppers = Sex. Is that simple enough?

My last chopper:

Back