Why I chose Hayabusa

Samaki

Registered
Why choose a Hayabusa when there are so many other choices available? I have a side business of parting out motorcycles that I operate from my shop at home. I have had many bikes over the years, putting a few hundred thousand miles on a CBR1100XX, a few VFRs. I had parted quite a few various sport bikes by the time I bought a Hayabusa at auction to part out. As I disassembled this bike I was very impressed by how it was engineered and put together. By the time I had it completely disassembled I knew that I had to have one.

I bought a 2011, again at auction with minor damage, and rebuilt it. I repainted the bike Platinum Gray, designed my own graphics and fabricated my own GSXR1000 tail section rails. It was an awesome bike that did not disappoint in any way. I rode it for about 40,000 miles over the course of a few years and then it was stolen from my place of work one day, never to be recovered.

I took the insurance money and purchased the 08 pictured below. This time I used the Greggs Customs tail conversion kit that I found used online with carbon fiber plastics. This bike has a PC IV with an auto-tune system and POD-300 live data display. I have two maps that I typically use. The first is a dyno tuned map delivering 198.8 horsepower at peak, the second I custom made using live data from the POD-300 that delivers over 50 miles per gallon at an air-fuel ratio of 14.7:1, with more power on tap than I could ever need.

What other bike can do that? Why did you guys end up on a Hayabusa?

Busa.jpg

Why choose a Hayabusa when there are so many other choices available? I have a side business of parting out motorcycles that I operate from my shop at home. I have had many bikes over the years, putting a few hundred thousand miles on a CBR1100XX, a few VFRs. I had parted quite a few various sport bikes by the time I bought a Hayabusa at auction to part out. As I disassembled this bike I was very impressed by how it was engineered and put together. By the time I had it completely disassembled I knew that I had to have one.

I bought a 2011, again at auction with minor damage, and rebuilt it. I repainted the bike Platinum Gray, designed my own graphics and fabricated my own GSXR1000 tail section rails. It was an awesome bike that did not disappoint in any way. I rode it for about 40,000 miles over the course of a few years and then it was stolen from my place of work one day, never to be recovered.

I took the insurance money and purchased the 08 pictured below. This time I used the Greggs Customs tail conversion kit that I found used online with carbon fiber plastics. This bike has a PC IV with an auto-tune system and POD-300 live data display. I have two maps that I typically use. The first is a dyno tuned map delivering 198.8 horsepower at peak, the second I custom made using live data from the POD-300 that delivers over 50 miles per gallon at an air-fuel ratio of 14.7:1, with more power on tap than I could ever need.

What other bike can do that? Why did you guys end up on a Hayabusa?

View attachment 1615076
Is that the Peel ferry in Missouri hwy 125 ?

Yes it is. I live in Branson and ride Hwy 125 regularly. Well, normally I live in Branson. Right now I am living in Hungary for a few years. Trying to get home right now with all of the borders closed.

I have always been a Suzuki "fan boy"....I used to race a GSXR750 and as a result usually got invites to Suzuki events...I got to the Toronto bike show in '98 and saw the copper Busa there and wanted one right away. Being deployed most of the time, having other bikes I was barely riding and with 2 busy kids, another bike was not in the cards...kids grew up and moved away but I was deployed more and more then retired in 2016....

Skip ahead to 2018 and the desire to get a Hayabusa became strong, I gave away and sold my other bikes (except the Bandit) and went to hunting down a Busa.

My wife went through all the PTSD crap I put her through and told me if I had one I'd probably ride it more. I went used only because I was unsure if it was the right fit and didn't want to get too invested.

Turns out the bike was all I hoped for and I use it for therapy-the only downside is our season is short and I don't get on it as much as I want/need.

I have had bikes since 1974. I started with Yamaha's, Honda's, Kawasaki's, and Suzuki's. I got my first Harley in 89. From then on I had Harley's until 2008 when I got my first Busa.

I was 50/51 at the time. I saw one in person and talked to the guy that owned it. Then I went to the dealer and looked at them. I purchased a blue one but did not like the gold wheels so the dealer changed them with black ones from another Busa he had in stock.

I went back to Harley's for a while then got an 18 busa and two 19's after that. I also had an 18 ZX14r. I now just have a grey 19. I kind of like being and old guy on a busa rather than the much more common old guy on a Harley.

I chose to go with a Hayabusa for a number of reasons....

1) - doing lots of initial research on this exact website.
2) - having neighbours & coworkers own Harleys and definitely not being a fan that style.
3) - having a Hayabusa pass me on the way home from work one day and loving the sound. - thank you to the unknown White Hayabusa owner who was blasting along Hwy 407 !!
4) - having Suzuki in my blood from TM75's, a RM125, a DT185 and 4 other Suzuki dirt bikes my daughters currently own.
5) - reading 'somewhere' that the 1340 motor was referred to as the 'small block Chevy' of the motorcycle world.

I had never sat on one and in March of 2019 I found a silver 2009 on Kijiji that looked interesting based on 4 lousy pictures the seller had posted from some underground parking garage. Contacted the buyer and took the $ down to meet him at a motorcycle shop in Mississauga Ontario where he was storing it for the winter. The bike looked much better in person and I figured anyone who put Motorex oil into their own toys certainly took care of the rest as well !

1 year later and absolutely 0 regrets. I haven't had much to compare this bike to but it certainly is better than my previous street bike (72 H2 Kawasaki) I last rode 36 years ago :)

Being in southern Ontario (with the lousy riding season as Yellow09 mentioned above) it also helps to be a member of this great website. Lots of excellent ideas and mods to work on over the winter and now I just have to wait for the salt and gravel to clear off the road for the spring launch....

I got lucky, bought a Busa for silly reasons (looks and power) and discovered a bike that comfortably cruises freeways, is fun in canyons, and forgives honest mistakes (up to about 7k rpm).

I have absolutely zero regrets in buying/owning a GSX 1300R. This bike has finally silenced that nagging voice in my head that insists there is something better out there. There isn't, IMO.

I was lucky in another way, too, a bike mentor who took every opportunity to hammer into my tiny stubborn brain the importance of brake & throttle management, proper gear, proper attitude, and about a billion other little details that I never would have thought of (and still don't, according to him).

Dave is not a member, but lifetime rider (currently on a K4 GSXR 1000), and a firm believer in the Suzuki Platform. He gets his one and only (but deserved) shout-out (and pic) here and now. Thanks, Dave.
LYA.6.NOTED.jpg

Mine was a retirement gift to myself after 28 years in the Air Force. Stood in the showroom with a ZX14 and the Busa sitting next to each other. Liked them both for different reasons. After about 20 minutes, I asked myself the following question. Which bike would I regret not buying? Sounds silly but I can't ever see myself saying "I wish I'd bought the ZX14". The Busa is a rolling piece of history, art, muscle, and force. looking forward to putting another 60K on mine.

Because it is hands down an amazing machine.

In 2007 somewhere in Montana at gas station, two touring riders came in, dressed in all electric gear on heavily packed rigs. One of them walked clear around my Busa with just a tank bag and a tail bag and a CA plate muttering something like, ‘so, a touring Hayabusa huh’. Not the reason I bought it, but certainly why I‘m glad I did. I smiled at the guy but he seemed disappointed somehow. :rolleyes: :laugh:

In 2007 somewhere in Montana at gas station, two touring riders came in, dressed in all electric gear on heavily packed rigs. One of them walked clear around my Busa with just a tank bag and a tail bag and a CA plate muttering something like, ‘so, a touring Hayabusa huh’. Not the reason I bought it, but certainly why I‘m glad I did. I smiled at the guy but he seemed disappointed somehow. :rolleyes: :laugh:
because deep down they knew it took you 2 hours to cover the same distance that it would take them 4 LOL

Back