Should I join the hayabusa team? And gsxr 1k views

Kingkeem

Registered
Hey all

I’ve been doing some major research on the hayabusa, Gen 1 to be specific. I recently owned a ZX-12r A1. It was nice while it lasted, full system, different cams, geared -1. But it was up there in miles and had some issues. Maintenance made me want to kick it over more than once. It was getting tired. Now, that power( after coming from a bandit 1200) was insane and it will be hard for me to go backwards. I have an opportunity to pick from a few bikes. But having that last minute indecisiveness.

-04 hayabusa
-02 hayabusa
Another zx-12r ( 2003 b1)
K7 gxsr 1000
954rr(always wanted one since my cousin came home from being deployed in japan with one. He now also rides a hayabusa, but his favorite liter bike.)

I’m 6’2, 220 btw.

So the question is...

Should I grab up a hayabusa?

Why not? Try one on and see how it fits...

I'd go after a gen 2 just so you get the latest version...gen 1s are good too.

What is the maintenance like? in comparison to a gsxr? In my area, older hayabusa are going for the price of newer gsxr 1000s

I’d take a gen 2 but the prices are crazy or they are in crap condition. It is a possibility if I see the right one though.

Maintenance is pretty simple, everything is in reach to replace (spark plugs, air filter, etc) Fuel filters are in tank but don't need changing that often.

All the rest is similar to every bike, Hayabusas and GSXRs are pretty durable.

I'm close to your weight but 5'9" and the bike is perfect for me in size and comfort,

The aftermarket for the Hayabusa is huge as there are many parts out there. Not sure of the GSXR but as they have changed quite often over the years, parts for a specific year are less.

The gen 2 is a little more powerful then the gen 1 out of the box and the later models have better brakes (Brembo).

What is the maintenance like? in comparison to a gsxr? In my area, older hayabusa are going for the price of newer gsxr 1000s

I’d take a gen 2 but the prices are crazy or they are in crap condition. It is a possibility if I see the right one though.

A simple GSXR is a different animal compared to a GSX1300R. Ride both across Nevada and you’ll really appreciate the difference. If all you want is a light weight short wheelbase canyon carver and not a bike you can ride all day every day, don’t get a Busa. Maintenance has been great with mine and it’s over 14 years old with 67,000+ miles on it, original clutch even. Amsoil is good stuff BTW. Let’s see, SS lines, better Cush rubbers, Arashi front rotors after 65,000 miles, always HH pads, three sets of fork seals, probably three sets of plugs, and that’s about it. Valve checks have always been positive and nothing has ever gone wrong with it. As with any bike I’ve had my share of tires, brake pads, chains and sprockets, oil and filters but that’s it.

As said before the Gixxer and the Busa are brothers from different mothers. I have one of each. I love em both.
If you go with the Busa I would suggest the 04. There were some significant changes made between 03 and 04. After that up to 07 the only thing that changed were colors.

Which one do you ride more? Which one gets your adrenaline pumping the most?

thanks for all the help!
The Busa gets ridden more. It goes to the drag strip. But I ride it on the street too. The Gixxer only goes to the strip. They both make me smile! I don't think I would like the Gixxer as much as the Busa on the street. But that's just my personal preference. My Busa is an 04. My Gixxer is a K6. Both great bikes.
I'm 5'11" and weigh 155 in leathers. You're a bit bigger. I think you might be more comfortable on a Busa.

After coming off a breathed on ZX12R, a stock gen 1 or even gen 2 will feel pretty mundane as you aren't gaining much in the way of performance. You might even notice your ZX12 was a little more powerful.

As much as I hate saying this....have you looked at the Gen 2 ZX14R? That bike even stock would be a step up from your ZX12R.

Back