Who hasn't been negatively effected by the economy recently?

Has the economy recently had a negative effect on your quality of life?

• Yes, it certainly has!

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • No, I'm pretty much in the same boat as I was a year or so ago.

Votes: 73 48.3%
  • Kinda, not sure how to quantify it but something is different.

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters
If anything, I'm doing better. So far so good. I have picked up some really good deals because of others' misfortunes, but isn't that the way things seem to work. I know when my money gets tight, I sell everything cheap!!

I got lucky and changed jobs just before all of this hit the fan. I am doing better than I was last year, but I am still not out throwing money away. I have a very strong feeling that it is going to get much MUCH worse before it gets better. I am just keeping some back for a rainy day.

This whole economic "crisis" has kicked my arse...lost my job of eight years last March...started a new job in a different field in June and was laid off from there in November :banghead: recently had a job interview finally, was given the job but is does require a secret clearance...so now I am waiting on the call back for that...keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that the clearance will come through and this will open alot of opportunities for me...I'm bored and broke :please: But still grateful for the blessings I have and for the people around me :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My kids college tuitions, which were pretty much taken care of, are now going to be student loans.
My son won't be getting his new 65cc dirtbike right away so at least he won't die from eating the parts which may contain lead... :moon:

I pulled my 401K out and took the hit, extra moneys but I sell parts for bikes, and people always need parts, sales have takin a hit but, people are still buyin parts for anything from 1980's suzuki's to 1970's hondas to 2009 yamaha's,

do I spend some money on a old bike????? or do I buy new???? Hear it day in day out.

I forgot to add

The job market isn't bothering me because I will be collecting my first SS check in June. My 401k money is in the safest bracket, which now pays nothing, but it doesn't lose much either. My wife is a DOD auditor, and her money is in a guaranteed rate of return federal fund (I think 6%).

If I get busted for 140 in a 40, I'm pleading senility!

If anything, I'm doing better. So far so good. I have picked up some really good deals because of others' misfortunes, but isn't that the way things seem to work. I know when my money gets tight, I sell everything cheap!!

But you live in Ta-Town.... J/K! :poke:

I'm glad you're getting ahead of the times. Well done sir!

I work in the plumbing supply business and construction has taken a huge hit. The company I work for is a single branch operation and family owned. No raise this year, but no cut, and I feel fairly secure in my job because I handle the largest customers. If the owners get disgusted and decide to sell, then all bets are off regarding security.
I have been a single parent for 5+ years, so I haven't been living high on the hog. Every cent of my personal enjoyment dollar goes into the toys. Bought the new Busa in 2008 but will probably put off any upgrades on anything because of tight budget.

the company i work for gave everybody a pay cut i lost 12%

I have sympathy for you. These are hard times about to become very hard times. Look for every business to try and take advantage of them.

For many companies, I expect, this will be a golden opportunity to get rid of people they just plain don't like, people who are old, people who are sick, etc.
The line will be "We are so sorry to have to do this, but you know how bad the economy is..."

And of course to force wage cuts. Either take it or be laid off. And, when one company sees another get away with it, the road is paved.

Feeling pessimistic tonight. I sat through a board meeting at a church where the minister feels that AA groups who meet there should be forced to pay so much a head for the privilege. Its a woman. Someone who should feel empathy for the disadvantaged, but who had an alcoholic in the family and hates them. So AA is being targeted. The idea is to force them to leave.

Sorry to run on, but when I see things like this happen to people who are trying disparately to help themselves, I think "God, what kind of god torments people so."

Just got word yeasterday. We are starting an hour late mon -sat, and leaving an hour early sat.
Posted via Mobile Device

Who hasn't been negatively effected by the economy recently?

The heads of those companies WE are bailing out !

But you live in Ta-Town.... J/K! :poke:

I'm glad you're getting ahead of the times. Well done sir!
You're right. It seems that whatever happens around the country doesn't effect us much here. It stays pretty stable other than the up and down swings in the aircraft industry. We have had quite a few folks lose their jobs in aircraft and the supporting industries.

This whole economic "crisis" has kicked my arse...lost my job of eight years last March...started a new job in a different field in June and was laid off from there in November :banghead: recently had a job interview finally, was given the job but is does require a secret clearance...so now I am waiting on the call back for that...keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that the clearance will come through and this will open alot of opportunities for me...I'm bored and broke :please: But still grateful for the blessings I have and for the people around me :thumbsup:

Got the call back today...clearance denied :banghead:...thing is they do not tell you why...only yes or no...the lady felt very horrible as they were very excited to get me on and started to work...she said that she had been head of the security department for the past three years for this certain contractor...over the these three years she had only had three applicants denied....she stated that this year alone since January she has had eight applicants denied....???...its tuff out there...keepin grindin away in hopes that something will break soon :please:

I work two jobs, one in Insurance and the other as a Realtor. As you can imagine it has impacted both of them. Luckily I seen the writing on the wall and sold pretty much everything we own except our house and a few toys (Busa, boat & ATV) so we could ride out the worse. It just pisses me off that I'm making responsible decisions to do without so we can make it, when others are going to be "bailed out" with my tax dollars, because some of them either didn't work and give a crap or made bad financial decisons. I realize there are some exceptions to this, but for the most part we're bailing out people that made poor decisions or were just plain lazy. It doesn't give you much motivation to do the right thing! :banghead: Oh, well off my soap box now. :whistle:

I just love this "change we can believe in". :moon:

Me and the fam are doing well. I have a crappy job and work my butt off for a good paycheck and wifee is an attorney. We live only within our means! My truck and bike is paid off, we have a car note and mortgage and wifee's student loans(like second mortgage) but rest is just normal living bills. We recycle to cut down on trash bill, I do everything I possibly can I.e. Fixing vehicles and home repairs, we are very consciences about not wasting utilities. But overall life is good could always be better as could for everyone, but can't complain. We all have our health and eachother and that means tons as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

well I'm doing a little better but only because I added a small business to supplement my job and I work a couple nights on the weekend too. but yeah my quality of life has changed don't have any free time anymore. It sucks but I'm trying to get in a position to be able to weather any financial downfall by losing a job.

Wife was on and off work share since March, no spending, hopin the hunk a junk Cavalier hangs on for at least another year before it crap$ out. Everyone still working though. Kids should get more than Kraft Dinner for Christmas. So not doing too bad, all said and done I guess.

WeLl guess I'm startiong to be adversely affected. Since our sales here at the store is down nearly 20%, the owner thinks I should work 50 plus hours a week as well as my 2 asst mgrs. Well I have started cutting all others hours as he demanded, I have one of my best employees quitting in 2 weeks cause he can't get enough hours(gf and new baby to provide for). I hate being in this position!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Back