Who hasn't been negatively effected by the economy recently?

Has the economy recently had a negative effect on your quality of life?

• Yes, it certainly has!

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • No, I'm pretty much in the same boat as I was a year or so ago.

Votes: 73 48.3%
  • Kinda, not sure how to quantify it but something is different.

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters
Tuff here right now and not lookin much better anytime soon.

Small things I did to help was re-evaluate my ins policy's changed to dsl instead of cable internet. Changed my Dish Network acct to a new cheaper one with more channels, just changed my cel phone to unlimited on a special T-Mobile was offering long time customers. Unplugged the hot tub ... All told I reduced my expenses about $125 per month. Not enough, but it helps.

Well gasoline has gone from $3.99 to $1.70 / gal. around here, but my last two power bills showed a 40% rate increase. Most everything else has gone up significantly in the past year with the exception of my salary.

Tuff here right now and not lookin much better anytime soon.

Small things I did to help was re-evaluate my ins policy's changed to dsl instead of cable internet. Changed my Dish Network acct to a new cheaper one with more channels, just changed my cel phone to unlimited on a special T-Mobile was offering long time customers. Unplugged the hot tub ... All told I reduced my expenses about $125 per month. Not enough, but it helps.

We just did the same things, but a couple hundred a month savings didn't make up for the rate increase. I'm blessed, but hoping things improve for everyone. Some have been hit really hard.

In terms of day-to-day living, we haven't been too effective. BUT--I've lost in the triple figures in the market--so that definately effects my long term plans. BUt, I'm a firm believer in the "long haul". So, I'll wait it out

We are getting screwed again!

Anyone noticed how many beers, even imports have gone from 12 ounces to 11.2 oz? 16 ounce drinks are 14.2 oz! Not all, but it seems like a trend.

This is happening with all kinds of food items. They tinker with the shape of the package, and put less in it. Open a can of baked beans and see how much water is in the top.

Food and beverage items are said to be sticky. That means they go up when the cost of ingredients goes up, but they never come down. Another way of saying when they have you bent over, they keep you that way.

GM and Chrysler can take a flying leap. Sell what they have in stock at a loss? No way. The Feds need to bail them out, so they can sell at a profit. Let them file for bankruptcy like any other business, and negotiate with their suppliers and labor.

I was just dumb luck 2 get in energy field.I only went to 9th grad in school.

I was driving trucks +decided try hauling L.P.G. I DO HAVE TANKER+HAZMAT + 15 years truck driver experence.Peole got have heat but no more overtime allowed in summer.I mostly load forklift cylinders in summer we do that off bulk truck.I do the biggest forklift cylinder account in Evansville on monday I loaded 80 cylinders @ 1 plant.160 cylinders that day.

Quite a few things have changed for me. Not super affected like most ppl, but I'm feeling a bit more heat compared to last year. It may even affect the number of trackdays I do for 09, so it'll be "Pick and Choose."

I am one of the lucky few. If anything its helped me. I save almost $225 in gas alone from when it was $4 a gallon. That said I pray for a quick recovery for all of our sakes

I'm jobless, struggling, searching for work. House is on the chopping block. I'm not sure what the future holds for my family and I. Things are scary to say the least.

I lost 15k a year of income. I have had to cut back on my fun and cover my bills with selling a few items to keep myself out of harms way!

I lost a significant amount of my retirement in the market. I had too take a position in my company that requires a six day work week. But we are lucky to have jobs. Obamas "spendulus package" is destroying confidence in markets. All in all, staying afloat here. :moon:

The only thing so far is I'm being forced to reduce my vacation ballance. Pay went up again this year, but so have my hours :(

No raise this year, higher health costs, job security is a myth even in gov't (where I am), your home is worth less than it was a year ago...

It's tough all over...

I work at a bank, and although my job hasn't been terminated (thank God that banks will always need tellers), we have made some cutbacks. Some of it impacts me, but nothing major like. I count myself lucky as our banks' CEO is constantly sending us updates on our status and explaining how we are doing. It is nice to know that we aren't in danger of being taken over or having to sell out to someone else.

However, I have noticed a bigger difference in other areas of my life that are a bigger impact. Just in how I am spending money and trying to figure out a better budget for the family and ways to get out of debt. I am truly not sure how much of that is because we decided BEFORE the meltdown to start paying off debt and live with less OR if it is because of the meltdown that we are noticing a tighter budget. One of those, is this chosen for us or forced on us?

i voted kind of. financially i am ok (knock on wood). work wise, we werent given our raises this year and wont get them next year, yet "higher ups" were given an even bigger % of a raise. the people in my position actually went from a 4 day work week to a 5 day work week (makes since ??? ), and instead of a consitant schedule, we now work the goofiest hours ive ever had (debating on leaving department for another 1 that is more "stable"). so outside life is ok minus the fact i dont have weekends off anymore 2 spend time with the family, work life sucks.

Last edited:
I work as a Service Advisor for the Lexus dealership in Austin. Our business has increased as people are fixing their old cars instead of trading them in. Car sales are suffering everywhere, so glad I am not in that department. We are 100% commission just like they are.

I work for myself, so it's hard to say if it's bad or good since I don't have much to compare it to. I know the industry I was in for years and thought I had a good career collapsed. Being let go twice in one year was enough. My wife works for the state and they are embroiled in the whole 2x monthly furlough thing.

We pulled every dime we had in the market- retirements, 401K's, out 18 mo ago & stowed it in a piece of land, I have a couple shares of Siruis stock I think, it's worth 16 cents a share (yes, you read that right) last time I check.

Done what we can think of to cut what can be cut. Drive 30 miles to discount grocery store (saves 30%). Even cancelled the newspaper to save $20/mo. Did the loan mod thing & that reduced our mortgage $550 a month.

The primary objective right now is to diversify the product offerings & double the size of the PashnitMoto & Pashnitbusa.com site in the next 12 months. Busy year for me. Plus new baby on the way . :cheerleader: Incentive to bust ass since once maternity leave hits - no income there.

As for the Pashnit Tour company, that's hard to say too since it's the travel industry, but it's been around for while. The first tour next weekend is full so that's a good thing.

I live in a 4 yr olds world & haven't read or checked the news in months. :lol: All I do is build, build, build.

Back