Who hasn't been negatively effected by the economy recently?

Has the economy recently had a negative effect on your quality of life?

• Yes, it certainly has!

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • No, I'm pretty much in the same boat as I was a year or so ago.

Votes: 73 48.3%
  • Kinda, not sure how to quantify it but something is different.

Votes: 23 15.2%

• Total voters

Mellow77

Feelin' Froggy
Donating Member
Registered
Just wondering if there will be crickets on this post given the large number of members that have been negatively impacted recently. I've been in a corporation with continual cut-backs, no performance raises and reduced medical benefits.

What say you?

We did not get our annual salary increases but we are getting our annual incentive bonuses...So I would say its a 50/50 split...other than that I have not really been affected...my 401k took a small drop this year, but Im very young still and not overly concerned about it...

Other than reading bad news and knowing of General Motors' woes, I haven't been effected very much...........................................yet.

We have had all raises "delayed" until further notice. Medical benefits are going to change a little, I think the copay is going up, and tons of layoffs. It hasn't hit me personally in a major way yet, but it's a keep on your toes enviroment

I wasn't really certain how to vote on the poll.

Those who have significant assets have been impacted significantly, though their quality of life on a day to day basis may be unaffected.

Those who had little assets, no assets, or negative net worth have likely been mostly unaffected financially since they had little to start with, but day to day quality of life is likely to have been affected substantially more than those in the first category as these people are more dependent on their employer to provide for their everyday expenses.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I'll try again.

Family "A" with a net worth of one million dollars pre recession has likely lost a tremendous amount of wealth, but their day to day quality of life has not changed markedly.

Family "B" with a net worth of a few thousand dollars or less hasn't really seen a large amount of wealth disappear, but their quality of life is changing markedly as they realize this isn't a good time to be a paycheck away from living in a cardboard box.

Best wishes to all of us, regardless what family we belong to.

my company is actually hiring, we are over sold for work ... I even hear they will be giving raises but I have yet to see anything official. So far, I worry most days but not overly concerned.

Alright, you caught me. It's an open ended poll intentionally. I'm an economics major interested to know in everyone's perceived reality. In lieu of a dissertation, I want to know whether or not the members feel like the economy has had a negative effect on their quality of life.

I wasn't really certain how to vote on the poll.

Those who have significant assets have been impacted significantly, though their quality of life on a day to day basis may be unaffected.

Those who had little assets, no assets, or negative net worth have likely been mostly unaffected financially since they had little to start with, but day to day quality of life is likely to have been affected substantially more than those in the first category as these people are more dependent on their employer to provide for their everyday expenses.

I don't know if that makes any sense. I'll try again.

Family "A" with a net worth of one million dollars pre recession has likely lost a tremendous amount of wealth, but their day to day quality of life has not changed markedly.

Family "B" with a net worth of a few thousand dollars or less hasn't really seen a large amount of wealth disappear, but their quality of life is changing markedly as they realize this isn't a good time to be a paycheck away from living in a cardboard box.

Best wishes to all of us, regardless what family we belong to.

I didn't vote because there wasn't a "Doing better than last year" option.

I jumped out of my old job "just in time" and am working my butt off 60 hrs a week now, but the industry I'm in is down 75% overall and we're not down over last year, so I'm feeling okay.

I just hope we hit bottom soon, as it is stressful wondering if "you just haven't been affected...YET"

My apologies, how pessimistic of me.

I didn't vote because there wasn't a "Doing better than last year" option.

I jumped out of my old job "just in time" and am working my butt off 60 hrs a week now, but the industry I'm in is down 75% overall and we're not down over last year, so I'm feeling okay.

I just hope we hit bottom soon, as it is stressful wondering if "you just haven't been affected...YET"

well.. I'm still a teacher.. and I have my toys... but I am also now driving the Bus and tutoring at Sylvan after work(s)... and looking for something else to sell... so yeah.. it's hitting us a little... not as much as some.. Thank God

Wher it has hit me the hardest is in the kids college funds. My oldest starts college this fall but at this point his fund has taken such a big hit that I think I will just wait it out and see it it recovers. He can always use the money to pay student loans.

Yep we have been hit hard.. Car is for sale, BMW bike is for sale and no bashes this year for us...

Same career, same income, looking through the cloud of doom, there are actually more opportunities now than last year, bargains everywhere.

Problem is where to put a lot of cash at the moment, no one knows for sure.

My wife and I both work for the same company. Neither one of us will be getting a cost of living raise this year, our bonus' are based on performance, but we owe a significant amount for taxes this year. We are both losing our company vehicles this month. But, we have a plan. With the equity we have in our house, when we sell, we can pay our taxes, we are looking at moving closer to our jobs so hopefully we can lessen the sting of driving personal vehicles. However, all in all, we both have jobs and have our bikes, the kids are doing well and we are upgrading our home. Very thankful to be in the position we are in. Things can always be worse, thank you Lord for the blessings we have.

Back