Use of the Revocable Trust to Purchase NFA Items

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
This should be of particular interest for some here. It is from another forum. Benefits of one are no fingerprinting needed and no CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) signoff required either to purchase NFA items. What is an NFA item others may ask?

What is an "NFA" item?

National Firearms Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope you find this interesting and useful....

It is my distinct pleasure to introduce to you a special guest contributor this month. The following article was authored by Mr. Bob J. Howell. Mr. Howell is a practicing attorney in Florida experienced in Trust and Estates Law He brings his wealth of knowledge and experience in the area to this piece, which examines the use of the revocable trust as a means of purchasing NFA items. Please enjoy Mr. Howell's unique perspective as he explores an important area of Estates and Firearms Law.

"My CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) says he won't sign off on any Form 4s, now what do I do?" This is something that many in the NFA community have heard time and time again. Despite the best efforts of many to explain the true meaning of the signoff provision of the Form 4, there are still many CLEOs who do not understand the meaning of the signoff or do not want to understand for personal or political reasons. For many years, the standard reply to this question as been to advise the potential buyer to set up a corporation. While this method of purchasing NFA items has been in widespread use for many years, there is an alternative: the Revocable Trust.

A Revocable Trust is a legal entity established under state law, like a corporation, and as such, a Trust can hold title to real and personal property. Some are familiar with the use of a Revocable Trust for Estate Planning. However, many are unfamiliar with the use of a Revocable Trust to purchase and own NFA items. The NFA in 27 CFR §479.11 specifically defines a Person (i.e. someone who is authorized to purchase NFA items) to include Trusts as well as Corporations. Therefore, absent a state law in your particular jurisdiction prohibiting same, you may purchase and own NFA items through a Revocable Trust.

Aside from being merely an alternative method of purchasing an NFA item, the Revocable Trust provides many benefits over a Corporation or LLC. In states where a Trust is not required to be registered, a Trust will provide a more private method of ownership. In the author's home state of Florida, there is no requirement to register or record a Revocable Trust. Therefore, the existence and terms of the Trust are known only to those whom you choose to tell. This is generally not the case with a Corporation. In a casual conversation with someone at the range who is new to NFA and has questions about it, you might explain the legalities and process for purchase and ownership as well as how you purchased them through your corporation because the local CLEO refuses to sign. A quick search through the state's Division of Corporations website using your name or the name of the Corporation can yield a wealth of information. Through such sources, a stranger can find out information such as what corporations you are an officer of and the registered address of any such corporations. If you use your home address as the registered address of your corporation, the person performing the search now knows where you live and where you may store your NFA items.

Another area where a Trust may be more desirable is cost. With the cost of initial filing fees and annual corporate fees, your cost for the corporation may exceed the cost of setting up a trust either initially or over time. As an example, an individual in Florida wants to purchase a .22 suppressor from a dealer for $300. As his CLEO will not sign the Form 4, he sets up a Corporation to purchase the suppressor. Filing fees to set up the corporation (absent any cost of legal assistance or cost of a corporate book) were $70. The annual corporate filing fee is $150 and is paid every year the corporation is active. Five years later he still has the suppressor, but with annual fees he has paid $820 in initial filing and annual fees and will continue to pay $150 per year for as long as he wants to keep the suppressor. This is a lot of money for a $300 suppressor. Filing fees and annual fees for Corporations or LLCs may be different in your state, but the point is that once the Trust is established there are generally no further fees to maintain it.

In a typical Revocable Trust where you act as your own Trustee, there is no separate Federal tax return to be filed and any profit or loss incurred by the trust is passed through on your individual tax return. With a Corporation or LLC, you may be required to file state or federal tax returns, depending on your jurisdiction and the activities of the corporation. This too can be an added expense that using a Trust may avoid.

A Trust also has the benefit of being able to manage or distribute the Trust assets upon your death or incapacity. If you own NFA items in a Corporation and die, then your interest in that Corporation, and accordingly the assets held by the Corporation, will likely be subject to Probate. For those not familiar with Probate, it is the court authorized procedure where the assets of a deceased person are collected; their debts are paid, and the remaining assets are distributed to their beneficiaries pursuant to the terms of their will or in absence thereof, pursuant to the terms of state law. The duration and cost of this process may vary from state to state, but it is generally not cheap. By placing NFA items into a Trust, you can direct where those items are to go upon your death without fear of the high cost of probate. Revocable Trusts are a common tool used by estate planning attorneys across the country to help their clients avoid probate. The author has prepared many trusts for individuals, as part of their general estate plan, which they have used for the dual purpose of avoiding probate on their estate as a whole as well as to purchase NFA items.

Like a Corporation, there are no fingerprints or photos submitted with a transfer to a Revocable Trust. However, like a corporation, you must submit proof of the existence of the entity (be it a trust or corporation) with your Form 4. While many practitioners will advise the purchaser to simply submit a Certificate of Trust (typically a short one page notarized document confirming the existence of the trust and identifying the Trustee) as proof, the author recommends that you submit a full copy of the trust itself to avoid any questions from ATF as to the legitimacy and existence of the Trust. While some are uneasy about submitting a copy of their Trust with the Form 4, the author has had no issues with this practice. Additionally, as the Form 4 is essentially a tax document, the Form 4 and the documents accompanying it would be deemed private tax information between you and the ATE The last question the author is often presented with when discussing a Revocable Trust for NFA ownership is the subject of a professionally prepared Trust versus a self-prepared document. Depending upon the complexity of the Trust provisions regarding the management and distributions of the NFA items and whether the Trust is also being used for general estate planning purposes, in many areas the cost can run as little as a few hundred dollars. It has been the author's experience that many of the forms and computer programs available for drafting trusts and other legal documents provide just enough information to be dangerous. Like a wise man has said, you get what you pay for. While doing it yourself may save a few bucks, doing it wrong can cost you quite a bit more in legal fees or even your freedom. The author generally provides a prospective client with two pieces of free advice when asked about do-it-yourself documents. One is that you do not have to use the author, but do yourself a favor and use an attorney with experience in Trust preparation. The other is that if the cost of correctly preparing the documentation scares you, perhaps NFA is not the hobby for you.

Use of the Revocable Trust of NFA purchases is not new but rather is something that many were, until recently, unaware of. The Author has seen an increasing number of questions about its use on various websites along with an increasing number of well intentioned but misleading or incorrect answers. This article is intended to address many of those questions and provide an overview of the general traits and benefits of using a Revocable Trust for NFA ownership. Before proceeding however, you should always seek competent legal advice in your jurisdiction to determine if it is right for you.

I used this route and had one created by an attorney with experience in these matters. With a trust, the other trustees can have possession of the item without fear of arrest, and the items pass directly to my beneficiary without probate or another tax stamp.

I used this route and had one created by an attorney with experience in these matters. With a trust, the other trustees can have possession of the item without fear of arrest, and the items pass directly to my beneficiary without probate or another tax stamp.

That's key right there in my opinion. An NFA item can't be touched by anyone other than the owner. That includes family, friends, etc. They can't hold or use the NFA item under the NFA laws. However, if they are listed with the trust, they can use the NFA item legally. Worth every penny in my opinion just for that reason.

If I remember correctly;
They have to stay in the trust or they are subject to another tax stamp.

If they were owned by you personally outside a trust, they pass to the heir without paying for another tax stamp with a Form 5.

That's key right there in my opinion. An NFA item can't be touched by anyone other than the owner. That includes family, friends, etc. They can't hold or use the NFA item under the NFA laws.

They can be touched and used in the owner's presence. With the owner being present, he is still in control of the item.

As long as the owner is physically present (and I would consider that line of sight), other people can handle it...

My wife is a trustee and my (minor) daughter is the beneficiary. It can be transferred to her upon my death without additional $200....

I did not got the trust route because by the time I die it will be an antique!

Good points made above. I have some experience in trust and assets in them. They work well for what they are designed for. Lots of protection etc. The problem becomes if you ever decide to sell an item in a trust. Then the taxes you thought you saved.......

My wife is a trustee and my (minor) daughter is the beneficiary. It can be transferred to her upon my death without additional $200....

You might want to review this very carefully with an attorney who if familiar with NFA items. That is not the way I understand it. Yes, that might work with your car or your non-NFA items. Yes an attorney may have told someone that. But, was the attorney skilled in NFA rules?

1) If the trust is written correctly (and this is going to depend on state law) your beneficiaries can become trustees, by being named successor trustees within the trust. That allows them to possess the NFA items the same as you currently do. Some states have limits of on the length of time they are in effect after you pass. Some have limits on time after they were created.

2) As a successor trustee, they cannot possess the NFA items without you being present.

3) At your death, the only way the items can pass from the trust is a Form 4 with the applicable tax (most items $200). Remember the Trust is an entity. It does not “die” only you as a trustee did.

4) If the items are owned by you individually they can pass to your heir on a form 5 with no tax to be paid. This must be completed in a timely manner after death and the executor of the estate is responsible for safekeeping until that transfer is made.

Here is some reading material on it.
Transfers of National Firearms Act Firearms in Decedents’ Estates
NFA Trust
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

For many going the individual route with a Pre filled form 5 will suffice.
Make one out with your kids name, one for wife, whoever, upon your passing have it executed.

Apparently there is a move to remove the Cleo sign off requirement but this comes with the caveat that trust 'responsible persons' must submit photos and fingerprints. This would be retroactive if I read it right ??? meaning EVERYONE with an established trust will have to now submit prints and photos.

CLEO signoff elimination going forward - AR15.COM

You might want to review this very carefully with an attorney who if familiar with NFA items. That is not the way I understand it. Yes, that might work with your car or your non-NFA items. Yes an attorney may have told someone that. But, was the attorney skilled in NFA rules?

1) If the trust is written correctly (and this is going to depend on state law) your beneficiaries can become trustees, by being named successor trustees within the trust. That allows them to possess the NFA items the same as you currently do. Some states have limits of on the length of time they are in effect after you pass. Some have limits on time after they were created.

2) As a successor trustee, they cannot possess the NFA items without you being present.

3) At your death, the only way the items can pass from the trust is a Form 4 with the applicable tax (most items $200). Remember the Trust is an entity. It does not “die” only you as a trustee did.

4) If the items are owned by you individually they can pass to your heir on a form 5 with no tax to be paid. This must be completed in a timely manner after death and the executor of the estate is responsible for safekeeping until that transfer is made.

NFA Trust
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-9.pdf

Mine was created by an attorney that came recommend as skilled in NFA Trusts. I will contact attorney with these questions (that's what I paid them for).

For many going the individual route with a Pre filled form 5 will suffice.
Make one out with your kids name, one for wife, whoever, upon your passing have it executed.

Apparently there is a move to remove the Cleo sign off requirement but this comes with the caveat that trust 'responsible persons' must submit photos and fingerprints. This would be retroactive if I read it right ??? meaning EVERYONE with an established trust will have to now submit prints and photos.

CLEO signoff elimination going forward - AR15.COM

Submitting for prints and photos is not same as having to get CLEO permission. An additional pain, but trust would still be a preferred route. IF it also included CLEO Permission, THEN there would be little use for a trust application. Luckily I've already talked to my CLEO who has no problem signing off.

NFA Trust

According to your references:

- A well written trust can last 70 years (3 generations) by modifying the trust. In 70 years it won't be my problem, but a complete set of written instructions to include contacting an NFA attorney to my executor sure would come in handy

- An item within a trust can be transferred to the beneficiary (individual) via Form 5 without another tax stamp. Don't know if it can be transferred directly to a new NFA trust or not.

- Still getting clarificaiton about successor trustees - since the don't fill out a 4473 at time of purchase, I'm still iffy about how they can be in possession..

According to your references:

- A well written trust can last 70 years (3 generations) by modifying the trust. In 70 years it won't be my problem, but a complete set of written instructions to include contacting an NFA attorney to my executor sure would come in handy.

This is going to depend on the state law where the trust is formed.

- An item within a trust can be transferred to the beneficiary (individual) via Form 5 without another tax stamp. Don't know if it can be transferred directly to a new NFA trust or not.

Where did you see this? I'm not saying it is incorrect, but I always have understood that it is taxed when it leaves the trust. Written correctly in some states, the item can remain in the trust and the heirs are the new trustees.

Below are quote I see and the page they are found on.

"Nevertheless, when the trust terminates, its property must be distributed to the beneficiaries and a transfer tax paid on each NFA item." Link to Gun Trust Lawyer page

"NFA Trust Property Distributed When Trust Terminates
When the trust terminates, typically about 70 years after it is formed, the assets on hand are distributed by the trustee to the beneficiaries. These are usually the grantor’s grandchildren. NFA items distributed at the end of the trust are taxed. Each transferee must pay the $200.00 transfer tax for each Class 3 item. This is different from a decedent’s estate where Class 3 items pass tax free to one’s heirs."
Link to Gun Trust Lawyer NFA Trust page

Last edited:
Now even my local news is doing interviews asking questions.

Loophole for buying restricted guns in Florida

So we all know going into the next firestorm an NFA dealer brought to the attn of BATF a case where one, repeat ONE felon was added to a trust and came close to obtaining an NFA item. Only one case. This NFA dealer seems to think compromising on photos and prints in order to get the Cleo signoff waived is a good thing. But now that that one case has come to the medias attn. we will now see constant reports of felons obtaining machine guns and omg the sky is falling. It's going to get hot on trusts soon.
The average citizen, the average politician and almost all of the media have no idea you can obtain a legal MG, Destructive Device (mortars-grenades) or suppressors. Most are in shock when they find out what you can legally obtain.

Back