Who has a 6.4 powerstroke or has ever owned one?

1deep

Registered
I just love how nice the 6.4 was that I looked at. I read horror stories though of their fuel mileage and problems. Who of you has one currently or has had one and did you like it or have any problems?

pics of the truck.

C2471_05.jpg

C2471_04.jpg

C2471_02.jpg

Are you sure the horror stories are from the 6.4 ???

We had several 6.0 in the fleet of trucks we had an for the most part they were horrible an unreliable....

As for poor fuel mileage that is sometimes due to people with heavy feet that like to feel the pull an acceleration they have off the line :laugh:

Are you sure the horror stories are from the 6.4 ???

We had several 6.0 in the fleet of trucks we had an for the most part they were horrible an unreliable....

As for poor fuel mileage that is sometimes due to people with heavy feet that like to feel the pull an acceleration they have off the line :laugh:

I've heard of few minor issues i.e. radiator, intercooler and a fuel pump .

We have both 6.0/6.4 in our fleet. I love the look of the F250's but I will never own one as long as it has the 6.0/6.4 power plant. We have had several problems with both engines, but Ford built there own engines this year (Scorpian)so things may turn around for them as far as being reliable. It seems like we have a truck at the dealer all the time for warranty breakdowns like oil pumps,radiators, fuel inj pumps, blown motors, inj leaking, blown head gaskets and so on. Not all 6.0/6.4 are problem childs but it sure seems like it.

Nice truck. I can't help with Ford as I'm a Chevy guy but jacked up with big tires won't help the gas mileage. :laugh:

I've got a 2009 2500 Z71 with the 6.6 Duramax with the Allison trans and I'm getting a solid 18 mpg.

IMG_7016a.jpg

I have an 07 6.0 and I love it. With the wheels and tires that on that truck, you will get around 15 or less mpg. With oem tires you could get close to 20. I have had zero problems with my truck, cetane booster helps with mileage ever other tank or so. The only issue with the 6.0's were the head studs, weak from the factory. You can replace those with ARP studs and tune the crap out of them. If you are looking at this truck, get an Oasis report from the dealer, will give a detailed account of any warrenty or repair issues. My report only showed one issue, cracked turbo inlet pipe replaced under warranty. I am the second owner. How big are those tires? I run a 305/55 R20.

Truck 001.jpg

Truck 002.jpg

Oh, and dont even look at the 2010 models, I think they will be a 6.7 liter, way over the top emmision controls and just a simple oil change is 350.00. If you want to do some research before you buy, check out this forum, lots of good guys and very helpful. http://www.superdutydiesel.com/

twotonevert the tires are 35-12.50-20

I would have to run the conversion, but dont expect to get more than 12 to 15 with the tires and lift you have on it. You can tune it, Bullydog, SCT, SCT livewire are most popular and get another 10 to 15% mpg. But if you do that, invest in a good set of guages to monitor exhaust gas temp, tranny temp, and oil pressure. They are a blast to drive, lots of power and move fast for big truck. You need to replace your fuel filters ever so often to protect injectors, 176.00, standard oil change, 136.00 every 5000 miles. You can only run Motorcraft gold antifreeze, I let my dealer do all maintenance to keep the warranty up. Another stickler with the fords are the EGR valves, they can get gunked up, but you can clean them yourself. The website I gave you have detailed instructions. You can also eliminate the EGR, but it will void warranty, I plan to wait till after 100k and then do it.

I need an F-250 or F-350 to pull my 5th wheel, perfer a diesel. Anyone out there have one for sale for a decent price, really don't care what it looks like. I live in San Antonio Texas. I have a 2003 F-150 but not big enough to pull the 5th wheel trailer. Willing to wheel and deal.....det45

Get a low mileage 7.3 powerstroke. You will NOT be sorry. Know of to many people w/problems w/the 6.0 and the 6.4 was just a 6.0 fixed up. Hearing lots of good things about the new 2011 but I never buy something is the first year they come out.

We love ours. No problems at all. Fuel mileage does suck (12/13 city, 17 highway), but you don't buy a truck like this if you can't afford the fuel. :rulez:

img040.jpg

img059.jpg

Have an '06- 6.0 with a 6-speed hand shaker trans. Bullet proof. Stay away from the tuner junk and they will last a long time. Had a Chevy once, never again, was like driving a Coors can............

I get 14-15 around town and a solid 20 on the highway, hand calculated. You want torque? Get a Ford.

I had a 2008 F450 when they first came out. What an awesome truck. The mileage wasn't the greatest, but who cares? If you really are concerned with mileage, research mods to help it, my buddy has a 2008 F350 single axle 4x4, he took all the smog crap off, DPF, etc and it's amazing how much better his mileage is!
2011 models now have a FORD diesel 6.7L, the HP and TQ is off the charts, as is the fuel economy, supposed to be really awesome all the way around. The only catch is now you have to add a fluid, I believe it's UREA, for the exhaust filter. I saw a 2011 F450 chassis so I had to see, there is a small tank (looks like a fuel tank) bolted to the frame, with a tube and a filler cap like a fuel cap. Not sure how often this needs to be done, or how much it costs. But from what i've read/heard, the 6.7 is bad azz!!!!!

:bowdown: FORD

I had a 2008 F450 when they first came out. What an awesome truck. The mileage wasn't the greatest, but who cares? If you really are concerned with mileage, research mods to help it, my buddy has a 2008 F350 single axle 4x4, he took all the smog crap off, DPF, etc and it's amazing how much better his mileage is!
2011 models now have a FORD diesel 6.7L, the HP and TQ is off the charts, as is the fuel economy, supposed to be really awesome all the way around. The only catch is now you have to add a fluid, I believe it's UREA, for the exhaust filter. I saw a 2011 F450 chassis so I had to see, there is a small tank (looks like a fuel tank) bolted to the frame, with a tube and a filler cap like a fuel cap. Not sure how often this needs to be done, or how much it costs. But from what i've read/heard, the 6.7 is bad azz!!!!!
:bowdown: FORD

That is the fluid they have to change when they do the oil, 350 for an oil change. :banghead:

That is the fluid they have to change when they do the oil, 350 for an oil change. :banghead:

Not true...........The urea fluid is an additive. It is used in the regenerative process. It will use approx. 1 gallon per year for average mileage use and is very inexpensive. Oil changes are the same as before.

Last edited:
Not true...........The urea fluid is an additive. It is used in the regenerative process. It will use approx. 1 gallon per year for average mileage use and is very inexpensive. Oil changes are the same as before.

Thank you for the point of clarification. What is the additive they have to put in that makes that oil change so expensive? I talked to my service tech about it because we were discussing the differences in emissions from 07 to the new year models.

I have two 6.0's. Just purchased the 2nd about a month ago so can't say for it, but the first has been pretty good so far.

I hear the rumors also, but no one can tell me specifically why they are called sicko. I hear different things from electrical to egr coolers...honestly, if someone can't tell me what the major problem with them is and narrow it down then it may just be the rumors like any other vehicle. IE FORD = found on road dead

Someone says a catch name like sicko = 6.0 and it sticks~!~

Dont know, maybe they have more issues than I've seen so far, but my first has been in my possession for a few years now and it rolls and tows very well.

Pulls a 10,000 trailer with ease.
Gets 12mpg towing same trailer, 17 in town and 21.5 on the interstate with the tires pumped to 65 psi, 4 inch SS exhaust and tuner.

Hopefully it doesn't crap out just because I'm bragging about it~!~ :laugh:
No pics of the F250 yet...but towed to Maxton to race last weekend with it.

random 027.jpg

I have two 6.0's. Just purchased the 2nd about a month ago so can't say for it, but the first has been pretty good so far.

I hear the rumors also, but no one can tell me specifically why they are called sicko. I hear different things from electrical to egr coolers...honestly, if someone can't tell me what the major problem with them is and narrow it down then it may just be the rumors like any other vehicle. IE FORD = found on road dead

Someone says a catch name like sicko = 6.0 and it sticks~!~

Dont know, maybe they have more issues than I've seen so far, but my first has been in my possession for a few years now and it rolls and tows very well.

Pulls a 10,000 trailer with ease.
Gets 12mpg towing same trailer, 17 in town and 21.5 on the interstate with the tires pumped to 65 psi, 4 inch SS exhaust and tuner.

Hopefully it doesn't crap out just because I'm bragging about it~!~ :laugh:
No pics of the F250 yet...but towed to Maxton to race last weekend with it.

Outlaw, if you have a 6.0, you would be very wise to install a coolant filter. It is the sand from casting that will take out the exhaust coolers, and they are very expensive to replace. Once the coolers clog, they crack and leak coolant. I've hed filters on mine since new and the first 2-3 changes the filters were packed with sand. My coolant looks fresh all of the time.

Back