How many of ya'll like to read?

No. I haven't. I gather your C.O. recommended it?

What is your review of it, Devil? Man, this is ANOTHER one on this thread I haven't read and need to find a copy of.

I need to get a paper and pen and start writing some of these down.  
blush.gif
Jason,
I am disgusted.  YOU WILL READ "A message to Garcia"!
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

BTW -
Anything by Orson Scott Card (particularly the Ender series)
W.E.B Griffin (the Corps series)
Tom Clancy
and anything Marine Corps history.

Errrrr.
Shawn
laugh.gif

I know, I know. Shame on me.  
blush.gif

And yes, I agree; Griffin has written some outstanding material.

Semper Fi!

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: "SPAG"|1121439907 -->

tounge.gif

blush.gif

What is your review of it, Devil? Man, this is ANOTHER one on this thread I haven't read and need to find a copy of.

blush.gif
MSG to Garcia is on the Professional Reading List......Its a very short book, You can almost read it sitting on your Busa at a red light.  20 minutes to read.....maybe 30.  I got a copy..I'll send it to you if you promise to send it back.
Well, I would surely send it back...and it won't even be tattered.
smile.gif
I would appreciate that. I'll PM, ya'.

Semper Fidelis!

blush.gif
MSG to Garcia is on the Professional Reading List......Its a very short book, You can almost read it sitting on your Busa at a red light.  20 minutes to read.....maybe 30.  I got a copy..I'll send it to you if you promise to send it back.
smile.gif

Semper Fidelis!
PM your address......I 'll send it in the morning.

blush.gif
smile.gif

Semper Fidelis!
PM your address......I 'll send it in the morning.
Gents -
This is the information age. Live in the now!
A message to Garcia

By the way Jason. The fact that someone had to give you the link will smack you in the head while reading the story. Also, it will be very easy to see why it is on the Reading List!

Errrrr.
Shawn

In order of excellence but certainly forgetting a few, no doubt:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein, all four books.

Aztec, Spangle, The Journeyer and Raptor by Gary Jennings.  HIS books will keep you reading into the wee hours of many many mornings.

Shibumi by Trevanian

An Essay on Morals by Philip Wylie.  This one may pi$$ off the religious among you but no offense intended!

The Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum

Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth

The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov

Brave New World and Brave New World: Revisited by Huxley

The John Carter and Tarzan series books by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  Believe me, if you haven't read these, you've missed out.  Bear in mind, however, that he was writing in an era of near-blatant misogyny, sexism and over bloated egoism.  Still, the stories are very good.

I used to read Koontz and Stephen King and Orson Scott Card and various others of that genre.  Then someone introduced me to the above list, among others and I've never looked back.  These writers above know how to REALLY craft a story.  A real surprise sleeper is Shibumi by Trevanian.  Aztec is totally awesome.  LotR, of course is the best of all.  I still read that once a year, minimum.

I've missed a great many which I love but that's a good start!

--Wag--

Brown,Patterson,Stanford and some kuntz. Has anyone read Digital fortress by Dan Brown and get the code on the last page of the book.

I forgot about Clancy....great stuff.

Clive Barker's got some interesting stuff too...I wonder what REALLY goes on in that guy's head.

Been a King fan for years.. read some Koontz too~
Just finished the last installment of King's Gunslinger series~ Got almost his whole collection in my library~ Don't have book two of the Gunslinger though~ Was a very good story too~ As King does in his movies (cameo appearances) he puts himself into the story here~ Even meets Roland (the Gunslinger) at his cabin in Maine (fictional address of coarse)~ He also ties in almost every book he wrote into this one story~ Kinda brings his whole collection together.. all the way back to Salem's Lot~ Definitly on my favorites list.. as if you couldn't tell~
wink.gif

I'm a die hard Stephen King fan...The Stand is definitely the best...I have NEVER read "the classics". I was so disinterested in 'em in high school and I had a pretty cool English teacher. He allowed me to do book reports on SK books!
laugh.gif

Dean Koontz "Intensity" was great...I like all of his work anyway...

The Da Vinci Code (I'm reading it for a second time right now)
smile.gif

And I love Clive Barker...very odd and twisted, just like I like 'em
tounge.gif

I don't read many of the famous authors but "Wide Open" by Jeremy Mcgrath (Supercross Champion) is a good one and "A devine Revelation of Hell" by Mary K. Baxter are a few books I couldn't put down.
Another good one for the Christian folks is "Pigs in a Parlor" by Frank and Ida Mae Hammond, now this one will trip you out!!!! I dare you to read this one.

Stephen King, with my faves being Christine and The Green Mile
Tolkien- LOTR and The Hobbit
Patricia Cornwell-any of the Kay Scarpetta books
Stephen Hunter-Bob Swagger books (You Marine guys need to check these out if you don't know!!!!)
Dale Brown-Flight of The Old Dog etc.
I used to read Tom Clancy until I heard an interview with the man, he's an arrogant pr!ck with no respct for his readers....
Ian Fleming-If you have to ask what he wrote, I'll slap you.
Dan Brown-DaVinci was okay, I fail to see the problem the Catholic church has......unless it's non-fiction!
John Grisham-fave is prolly A Painted House, way out of line from his usual offerings (Which I enjoy immensely also....)

<!--EDIT|Mr Brown
Reason for Edit: "Poor grammar........"|1121474092 -->

so far, my favoite book is "Chickenhawk"

right now im reading "Winning Modern Wars" by Gen. Wesley Clark

Stephen Hunter; Time to Hunt
Jeffery Deaver; Stone Monkey, speaking in Tongues, & others
John Grisham; got 5 or 6 of his...pretty good
Wilbur Smith; Hungry as the Sea
Harold Coyle; The Ten Thousand GREAT book
Dan Brown; Deception Point, Angels & Demons
Dale Brown; Flight of the old Dog, Warrior class, Storming Heaven, Day of the Cheetah

Sure there is lots more...

I'm a fan of King, Bradbury and Poe too.

I also like Michael Crichton because of the detail he puts in his books. Always get some education out of them.

NKJ HOLY BIBLE

40 DAYS OF PURPOSE

WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE BIKE-lance armstrong

LETS ROLL-lisa beamer story

Oh, and if you like the Fantasy genre, Julie Dean Smith's series, A Caithan Crusade is pretty good. Not your usual story line imitating Tolkien.

The Thomas Covenant Series, by Stephen R. Donaldson, though very dark, is also a good read.

--Wag--

Been a King fan for years.. read some Koontz too~
Just finished the last installment of King's Gunslinger series~ Got almost his whole collection in my library~ Don't have book two of the Gunslinger though~ Was a very good story too~ As King does in his movies (cameo appearances) he puts himself into the story here~ Even meets Roland (the Gunslinger) at his cabin in Maine (fictional address of coarse)~ He also ties in almost every book he wrote into this one story~ Kinda brings his whole collection together.. all the way back to Salem's Lot~ Definitly on my favorites list.. as if you couldn't tell~
wink.gif
Hey Joker, if you have either of the first edition Gunslinger books one or two, hard cover w/ DJ in excellent condition, and pictures...keep them and keep them well preserved. The first edition Gunslinger, printed in '82 as I described...is worth a minimum of $150 now...at least that's the cheapest I've found.

Back