How many of ya'll like to read?

I forgot about Clancy....great stuff.

Clive Barker's got some interesting stuff too...I wonder what REALLY goes on in that guy's head.
laugh.gif

Have you ever read, A Hollywood Ghost Story?

A very good book, but some strange goings on, that's for sure!

I'll try to keep my list to some of the most read books. My library exists because they're books I read more than once.

Robert Adams - Horseclans. Up until the last one or two. He was getting radical
Robert Azimov - Most anything
Robert Asprin - Thieves World and the Myth books
Marion Zimmer-Bradley - The Darkover books
Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Mars books but the Lost World stuff is good too.
Jack L. Chalker - Wellworld Series
Glen Cook - The Black Company series
Gordon Diskson - Dorsai! Excellent series.
Stephen R. Donaldson - White Gold Wielder. Took me two tries to get through the series.
Philip Jose Farmer - To You Shattered Bodies Go. Great book. The series was ok but this is the one to read.
William Gibson - The cyberpunk books
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War. The sequels weren't as good.
Edmond Hamilton - What's It Like Out There? Good book
Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat and The Deathworld Trilogy.
Robert Heinlein - Most any of these too
Zenna Henderson - The People. Only a few books but still good.
P.C. Hodgell - Godstalk. Great book.
Robert E. Howard - Conan of course but King Kull was good too.
D.F. Jones - Earth Has Been Found. Good story with a different ending.
Fritz Leiber - The Lankhmar books. I'm still missing two of them.
Anne McCaffrey - Pern, Crystal Singer and the Damia books are all great.
Michael Moorcock - Elric series but The Eternal Champion is good too as are the Blade books.
Larry Niven - They're all great but I really liked the Ringworld books.
Andre Norton - These are geared more toward the young adult and lean towards the female side. Great reading when I was youngers. The writer is female and had to have a more masculine sounding name to get published.
Terry Prachett - The Discworld books of course.
Spider Robinson - Callahans. W00t!
Fred Saberhagen - Berserkers. If only he'd write more novels.
David Smith - Red Sonja. Female Conan with a twist.
ee 'Doc' smith - The Lensman books. Great Space Opera
JRR Tolkein - The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings.
Harry Turtledove - Great alternative fiction writer. "What would happen if..."
Jack Vance - Another great space opera writer.
James White - Alien Medics series.
Roger Zelazny - Alien Speedway.

In Westerns, I pretty much only read Louis L'Amour. Tom Clancy up until the Rainbow Six book. Then he was selling something else. Barry Sadler's Casca books are pretty good. For Horror there's Brian Lumley and H.P. Lovecraft.

I've tried reading King and Koonz but can't. Especially King. I'll get into the book and at the end it's something stupid. He's pissed me off with several books so he gets no space on my shelves. Sorry.

Carl

I'll try to keep my list to some of the most read books. My library exists because they're books I read more than once.

Robert Adams - Horseclans. Up until the last one or two. He was getting radical
Robert Azimov - Most anything
Robert Asprin - Thieves World and the Myth books
Marion Zimmer-Bradley - The Darkover books
Edgar Rice Burroughs - The Mars books but the Lost World stuff is good too.
Jack L. Chalker - Wellworld Series
Glen Cook - The Black Company series
Gordon Diskson - Dorsai! Excellent series.
Stephen R. Donaldson - White Gold Wielder. Took me two tries to get through the series.
Philip Jose Farmer - To You Shattered Bodies Go. Great book. The series was ok but this is the one to read.
William Gibson - The cyberpunk books
Joe Haldeman - The Forever War. The sequels weren't as good.
Edmond Hamilton - What's It Like Out There? Good book
Harry Harrison - Stainless Steel Rat and The Deathworld Trilogy.
Robert Heinlein - Most any of these too
Zenna Henderson - The People. Only a few books but still good.
P.C. Hodgell - Godstalk. Great book.
Robert E. Howard - Conan of course but King Kull was good too.
D.F. Jones - Earth Has Been Found. Good story with a different ending.
Fritz Leiber - The Lankhmar books. I'm still missing two of them.
Anne McCaffrey - Pern, Crystal Singer and the Damia books are all great.
Michael Moorcock - Elric series but The Eternal Champion is good too as are the Blade books.
Larry Niven - They're all great but I really liked the Ringworld books.
Andre Norton - These are geared more toward the young adult and lean towards the female side. Great reading when I was youngers. The writer is female and had to have a more masculine sounding name to get published.
Terry Prachett - The Discworld books of course.
Spider Robinson - Callahans. W00t!
Fred Saberhagen - Berserkers. If only he'd write more novels.
David Smith - Red Sonja. Female Conan with a twist.
ee 'Doc' smith - The Lensman books. Great Space Opera
JRR Tolkein - The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings.
Harry Turtledove - Great alternative fiction writer. "What would happen if..."
Jack Vance - Another great space opera writer.
James White - Alien Medics series.
Roger Zelazny - Alien Speedway.

In Westerns, I pretty much only read Louis L'Amour. Tom Clancy up until the Rainbow Six book. Then he was selling something else. Barry Sadler's Casca books are pretty good. For Horror there's Brian Lumley and H.P. Lovecraft.

I've tried reading King and Koonz but can't. Especially King. I'll get into the book and at the end it's something stupid. He's pissed me off with several books so he gets no space on my shelves. Sorry.

Carl
I enjoy Lovecraft, though his syntax, of course, makes for some difficult reading at times.

Also, in mainstream horror, I enjoy Laymon. It seems that Koontz and King discussions are cut and dry; either one enjoys their work, or one detests their work.
laugh.gif

I bet you also have read and re-read The Screwtape Letters...

Been a King fan for years.. read some Koontz too~
Just finished the last installment of King's Gunslinger series~ Got almost his whole collection in my library~ Don't have book two of the Gunslinger though~ Was a very good story too~ As King does in his movies (cameo appearances) he puts himself into the story here~ Even meets Roland (the Gunslinger) at his cabin in Maine (fictional address of coarse)~ He also ties in almost every book he wrote into this one story~ Kinda brings his whole collection together.. all the way back to Salem's Lot~ Definitly on my favorites list.. as if you couldn't tell~
wink.gif
Hey Joker, if you have either of the first edition Gunslinger books one or two, hard cover w/ DJ in excellent condition, and pictures...keep them and keep them well preserved. The first edition Gunslinger, printed in '82 as I described...is worth a minimum of $150 now...at least that's the cheapest I've found.
That would be a sweet find~ Unfortunatly my I, (don't have II yet) III, IV are all Plume editions~ Didn't start getting the hard covers, mine are Grant editions, until V, VI, & VII...    
down.gif

I enjoy Lovecraft, though his syntax, of course, makes for some difficult reading at times.

Also, in mainstream horror, I enjoy Laymon. It seems that Koontz and King discussions are cut and dry; either one enjoys their work, or one detests their work.
laugh.gif

Actually no. I've never heard of it but I have heard of the author (CS Lewis). I'll have to review it and see if it's worth my time
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Carl

laugh.gif

Actually no. I've never heard of it but I have heard of the author (CS Lewis). I'll have to review it and see if it's worth my time
biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Carl
Clive Staples Lewis...hit a home run with it. I would recommend finding a later edition and reading his new forward. That will tell you everything you need to know as far as the content, and whether you would enjoy it. Screwtape is a creepy, crafty, wicked...thing. And his nephew Wormwood just doesn't get the family tradition.
smile.gif

Ayn Rand
Douglas Adams
Keith Code

and of course "Lamb" By Christopher Moore
'the life and times of Biff, Christ's childhood pal'

Been a King fan for years.. read some Koontz too~
Just finished the last installment of King's Gunslinger series~ Got almost his whole collection in my library~ Don't have book two of the Gunslinger though~ Was a very good story too~ As King does in his movies (cameo appearances) he puts himself into the story here~ Even meets Roland (the Gunslinger) at his cabin in Maine (fictional address of coarse)~ He also ties in almost every book he wrote into this one story~ Kinda brings his whole collection together.. all the way back to Salem's Lot~ Definitly on my favorites list.. as if you couldn't tell~
wink.gif
Hey Joker, if you have either of the first edition Gunslinger books one or two, hard cover w/ DJ in excellent condition, and pictures...keep them and keep them well preserved. The first edition Gunslinger, printed in '82 as I described...is worth a minimum of $150 now...at least that's the cheapest I've found.
That would be a sweet find~ Unfortunatly my I, (don't have II yet) III, IV are all Plume editions~ Didn't start getting the hard covers, mine are Grant editions, until V, VI, & VII...    
down.gif
Ack! I know. I'm in the same boat.

Ayn Rand
Douglas Adams
Keith Code

and of course "Lamb" By Christopher Moore
'the life and times of Biff, Christ's childhood pal'
I look at your author list, and your avatar is still in my line of vision...and I laugh! I can't help but LMAO every time I see your avatar!

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks.

Carl
Clive Staples Lewis...hit a home run with it. I would recommend finding a later edition and reading his new forward. That will tell you everything you need to know as far as the content, and whether you would enjoy it. Screwtape is a creepy, crafty, wicked...thing. And his nephew Wormwood just doesn't get the family tradition.
smile.gif
Yea, my wife's getting pretty picky about my book buying habits. I'll buy a book that looks good and if it's not, I'll trade it back in at the used book store. She wants me to check out the books at the library to see if I'll like them first and then buy them. I have a list of 15 or so books that I need to pick up; especially the Harry Turtledove books.

I'll see if it's at the library and check it out. Thanks.

Carl

I forgot about Brian Lumley, I'm not big on fantasy, but he is a good storyteller.
Would the C S Lewis you are talking about be the same one who wrote "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe " series?
Also, on a totally different note, "Danny, Champion of the World" by Roald Dahl is my favorite childrens book, hands down.

I forgot:

"Shogun" by James Clavell. I really liked the story....IMHO the book was better than the movie.

Then again, isn't that how it almost always goes?

David Brin, Tolkien, Alan Dean Foster, Robert Heinlien, Terry Pratchett, Andre Norton, John DeChancie, Orson
Scott Card...

Hard Core Sci Fi & Fantasy is all there is...

The ART of Happiness By... The Dali Lama...Wooo  Saaaa!!

<!--EDIT|LORDWAGO
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121825551 -->

A friend of mine just introduced me to the writings of Christopher Moore.

If you like Douglas Adams I think you'll get a kick out of Christopher Moore. Just so damn funny and so damn wrong.
biggrin.gif

On a side note about Christopher Moore, if you are easily offended do not read "LAMB". Very funny book in my opinion though and I'm not that religious.

For you all that read Tom Clancy I suggest reading the author that inspired him. Robert Ludlum.

Back