Who goes first?

Not too far off topic at all, Lamb. At least you've identified the problem. Now, how to solve it?

If I were you, I'd start kickin' people's asses for riding too fast.

No, wait. That probably won't work.

Ride along all the time? Nah, no fun.

Ride only with Charles and Rich? That might work.
biggrin.gif

I wish I knew what to tell you. You're one of the better or best riders I've ever had the pleasure of riding with and I wouldn't for the life of me try to keep up with you, man.

Maybe start riding the back of the pack and teach people what the hell they're doing wrong?

--Wag--

(newmill @ Nov. 27 2006,22:47) About the pre-ride lecture I would add something Kento-Moto once said during the first ride I did with him that always stuck with me: If your going to do something stupid, don't do it around me.  
cool.gif
He never told me that!

It's been eons since I rode with our normal group here, but we always have the most experienced up front, and they adjust to keep the pack together. One experienced in the back to keep an eye on the newbies.

The pre-ride lecture always included "ride within your limits.... we wait for everyone at every stop... no passing in the corners...."

I rode with this gang when I inherited the Katana. I always remembered "Ride within your limits". And I did, but was always testing my limits in order keep up with them. (Not that they left me... I'm just competitive like that!
laugh.gif
)

I think in the last 2 years, we've had one guy go down. And one girl went dirt-biking with her R6.

(Wag @ Nov. 27 2006,10:39) I fully expect people to disagree but I'm hoping that by disagreeing there can be an exchange of ideas which will improve the riding abilities of some, the attitudes of many of us toward other riders and in general, serve to make this part of the biker community more safe out on the streets.
You;re the man, Wag. Exlnt write-up. Input posts are informative as well. Great thread.

A big mistake on my part was to let a novice lead. True story: When I backed off to let the guy pass me, I watched time slow down. Next thing I saw was his flailing body flying over the top of a car; As if you threw that rag doll in the air with long legs and arms. I still see this image, the day I let a beginner lead the way; Without the first rule being told. The rule that you watch that cager turning left in front of you. Watch everyone's move in the intersection. Decades ago, I already had the street savvy to nail it behind a car, so I would safely pass thru intersections behind it, (bike positioned slightly to the right rear fender). I will never, ever let a novice lead again. They are way too green for the street.

Revised training... My only tactical training is to ride on the back seat with a novice. Sitting behind, you can pick up their bad habits, and drill it in their heads to try it this way. You'll know if the novice improves during the riding session. You can body-english the bike and steer the bike away from the center lane. Again, true incident: I key'd in on a left hand turner and she didn't. I went under her arms, flung them away from the levers, bit down on the front brake, pulled the clutch in at the same time, and saved both of us from being hit by the left hand turner.
I can reach around, force the throttle (sustained) open more, and elevate the confidence of the rider's ability moving faster. I can show the power of the front brake by barking down hard on the fronts, showing power in hand and eliminate the fear of locking up. I'm more heavy on the brake practice routine than anything else... All to stop in front of the left hander that's about to cut you off. This is the only way I'd let a novice lead the pack, (with me on the back.)

Nice comments 2busa. I think I'd only do the pillion trainer routine in a parking lot and then, only with a really tough nut. But if you can do that, you're a better trainer than I am!

That first story you told about the newbie crashing was likely some form of fixation where he was so intent on going around you, he didn't maintain a wide angle of peripheral vision. Instead, he tunneled in on the lane space directly in front of him and combined with his speed and the unfortunate timing of the cager, he was doomed.

Good comments.

--Wag--

Back