Who goes first?

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
Fasttoys1 posted about his friend going down. My heart and concerns go out to him.

However, it makes me think about how we ride when we have newbie riders with us. I'm just reflecting here because this is something that concerns me quite often when I'm riding with new riders. Fasttoys1 didn't say his friend was a new rider but did indicate that he hadn't ridden in a while which to me implies he may have been a little rusty. He also suggested that when his friend was in back, he rode slightly different than when he rode in front. There are some implications here I'm interested in exploring.

Bear in mind, too, most of what I'm about to write is based on my opinion and personal experience. I fully expect people to disagree but I'm hoping that by disagreeing there can be an exchange of ideas which will improve the riding abilities of some, the attitudes of many of us toward other riders and in general, serve to make this part of the biker community more safe out on the streets. I realize that much of this is a little altruistic but even if we don't live in a perfect world, we can do things to make it better than it is.

First off, I must say, I love teaching people. I teach piano and love that with all my being. I also love to teach beginners how to shoot guns and new riders how to ride. The works. I love to pass on things I know to others. It's highly rewarding and most importantly, seeing the look on the face of a successful student is the piece de resistance!!! Watching my 7 year old niece hit a milk carton from 25 ft with a Beretta .22 short semi automatic version of a Tomcat was priceless! She even remembered not to wave the gun around in excitement!

Back to motorcyclists. My most rewarding experience was the time I spent teaching my wife to ride. The best thing I did with that experience was to send her to the MSF class. It wasn't perfect but it saved me from having to go through the basics with her which is always the most frustrating part of teaching anything to anyone. Besides, they do that part better than I do.

Then it was a matter of putting some miles on her tires which I was able to do but with a lot of concern. People can DIE on those durn motorsikkles!!! I was a nervous wreck for a few months to say the least! Two years later and she's doing exceptionally well.

Over the years, I've ridden with a lot of new riders who don't really know how to handle their machines. On occasion, we'll end up in a biker bar where there are a lot of bikes in the parking lot. Seeing some people attempt to maneuver their bikes in close quarters is a hair-raising experience. A little newbie on a great big brand new harley lends new meaning to the word wobbly! The only real cure for this is, of course, experience and works best when coupled with instruction from others in the know.

So, suppose we get a group together, six or so riders of which one is highly experienced and two have about a year or so. The rest, less than six months. Where do you position them all? What kinds of roads do you take them on? Of course, it all assumes that the leader of the group (not necessarily the point man while riding) has taken the time to talk to the group as a whole before starting out.

1. Pre-ride lecture

The most important thing to be said here is, DO IT. Gather the group together and tell everyone what's going on.

The leader of the group is probably the one who organized it. He knows the route, plans for food and gas stops, etc. One of the best rides I was ever on had a map handed out to everyone with the stops all indicated. Thirty riders in that group. The object of that ride was to make sure that there were stops at intersecting roads so that the advance riders could wait for the slower-paced people to catch up. Maps are great for long rides with many turns, stops, roads, etc. Maps are probably not as critical on short rides or rides with small groups of six or fewer riders.

In the absence of maps, it's important to give instructions on what to do if someone gets separated from the group. If someone breaks down or has an accident, how is that going to be handled? Knowing the timing of the ride makes a difference here. If you're waiting too long for a rider to meet up with the rest of ya, something could be wrong.

Communications during the ride is important. Hand signals, light signals, leg signals, etc. etc. Depending on where you live, they can vary greatly. When I moved from CA to NM it was readily apparent than many of the signals we had always used were different in the new locale. They need to be discussed before a ride for clarity.

I'm a fan of the Chatterboxes my wife and I have but of course, not everyone has one. I suggest that when new riders have them, they should limit their use to just listening to the experienced riders give instruction during the ride. Working the controls is just one more thing a new rider shouldn't have to focus on when riding needs to be done! The rider out front can give pointers about road conditions to following riders. The rider in the back can tell the leader if there is a problem with a bike in the group. I've heard stories where a Chatterbox potentially saved a life or two.

2. Positioning the riders (formation)

Staggered formation riding in one lane is considered best. Side-by-side is dangerous because it limits or removes the escape path to and from the side. Definitely not recommended for new riders. The front rider should be in the left side of the lane because that makes him more visible to the drivers of cars in front of him. Also, the group should use the leftmost lane wherever possible. There is less lane changing to and from the left lane, plus it always only comes from the one side. The left side of the road also becomes an escape route in an emergency.

As a road becomes more twisty, staggered formation is no longer appropriate. Riders should increase the space between each other and ride single file.

Two rider groups: Putting the experienced rider in front gives the beginner a chance to observe how to ride. It's comforting to see the confidence of another rider who knows what he's doing. Putting the experienced rider in the back allows him to observe the beginner's riding style and give constructive comments at the next stop. As the ride progresses, the two can change position. That way, the experienced riders can teach by example AND by commentary.

Problems occur, however, if the experienced rider out front outpaces the new rider and the newbie, despite all instructions to ride within his own ability, attempts to keep up and misses a turn. If the newbie has testosterone poisoning, the experienced rider can tune in to that fact and attempt to stay in a pace which is appropriate to the newbie.

The reverse can be true, however. If the newbie is in front and is attempting to show off or demonstrate his abilities to the experienced rider, he may go too fast in this situation as well. Also, if he's being tailed too closely, he may attempt to increase speed. It's important to let a newbie know that if you're following closely, it's not an attempt to get them to speed up.

Larger groups: The same problems can exist in larger groups. However, if an experienced rider will take two or three newbies under his wing and guide them throughout the day, they can learn a lot and the ride can be safer. "Follow me" and teaching by example is a mantra that will work quite well.

There is strength in numbers while we're out on the road. A group that rides in relatively close formation is highly visible to cagers and other vehicles out on the road. The safety factor cannot be overstressed. If you have more than 10 in the group, however, it isn't a disaster if it gets divided up momentarily. What you don't want, if you can avoid it, is one rider a long way out front or dragging far behind.

One last comment on positioning. It's probably a good idea to give a first aid kit to the guy in the back of the pack. I frequently ride in the back just because I always have the FAK with me on long rides. It's just reassuring, actually. I've never had to use it (knock on wood) and I hope I never do. I'm a little superstitious about it, too. If I have it, I shouldn't have to ever use it!
biggrin.gif

3. Determining pace

We frequently see experienced riders get caught up in the emotion of going fast. I do it myself from time to time, like an idiot. The emotions generated while riding are not easy to control!!! It's why we love to ride!

Regardless, it isn't a race, even with 100% experienced riders. It doesn't behoove guy #2 to keep up with guy #1 or for guy #3 to pass everyone. Of course, the riders may stretch out based on experience levels and the front man could easily find himself a long distance ahead of the next rider, especially in the twisties! Well, in the twisties, it's probably understandable! On a "straight" road, however, the front rider should keep a consistant pace that everyone can maintain.

I still think the problem is often one of a rider who wants to show off his skills. As we hear quite often, "Save it for the track." Frankly, I'm never impressed with a guy who cracks up his bike out on the street because he's showing off. Mostly, I just hate to clean up his mess! Okay, I'm being hypocritical to a degree here so I have to point the finger at myself as well, based on all the stupid things I've done out there. The point, of course, is that it's not a good idea to ride dangerously just to show off or even just because of peer pressure.

Remember, if you're in front, you can use your skills to assist by allowing others behind yout to watch you ride but only if you're not so far ahead they can't see you!

Remember, new riders may not always KNOW what their ability will allow them to do and they may still wish to keep up, even though they are told that they do not have to keep up. Telling people to ride at their own pace is often not adequate to the task. In addition to not knowing their own ability at times, people simply do not like to be left behind.

As a group leader or point man, be aware of those with testosterone poisoning. Even women can get it. You may not be able to do anything about their riding style but you can possibly avoid riding with them in the future if they insist on showing off at every oppportunity and will not take instruction.

4. Twisties and turning (More on pacing)

Just how twisty of a road do you want to go on with a newbie?

Three weeks after my wife passed her MSF course and bought her first bike, she went with all of us "big boys" to Palomar Mountain Road in So. CA. For those of you who don't know, it's highly technical and NOT the kind of road to take lightly in the least. We thought that if she/we went slowly enough, she would be okay. Not to criticize her or anything at this point in her riding career, but she crossed the center line three times that day. Scared the he!! out of most of us each time. The point is, of course, twisties are no place for a newbie. You can teach a lot of things to a newbie out on the streets but turning is probably best left to wide sweepers and even then, very gradually and very slowly.

5. Mixing bike types

Be aware of the differing abilities of cruisers and sportbikes. As we all know, it's really rider-dependant. Some cruiser guys CAN outride you sportbike guys in the twisties! Okay, it's not that common but it does happen. We notice that generally speaking, however, cruisers have a tendency to ride in the back of the pack out in the twisties, especially. Nothing wrong with that, but make sure meeting points and routes are clearly established.

6. Recapping the ride

It's a good idea to recap the rides with new riders at some point. Help them to understand the things they can do to improve their skills and their abilities. Give pointers. Explain dynamics of riding and motorcycle physics.

The last gas or food stop is a good way to do this because as the ride comes to an end, most people just peel off and go their separate ways with a wave of the hand. Of course, if the experienced riders care to do so, it wouldn't hurt to track a guy down later in the week just to chat.

I think one on one mentoring is a valuable tool for experienced riders to use to train up other riders. Some of you have had race training and dirt experience that can help people to ride with greater ability. It's all about learning. Even the experienced riders can share ideas amongst themselves and learn more about how to handle the bike and the other traffice on the streets. One of the reasons my wife has improved so dramatically is because a couple of racing gurus took her under their wings and taught her a great many things that I didn't know as well. In some cases, she turned it back to me and taught me as well.

Any other comments? Lay 'em on us!

--Wag--

Dayum Wag I couldn’t read it all but my answer is that if you bring a new rider with you then you are responsible for them, is put them behind you and slow down until they tell you to speed up. And don’t give in to peer pressure.

That post may be longer than anything thrasherfox ever typed up LOL

But, all good points...from MY experience only, I found that when I was learning, I would much rather be in the back of the pack. If I were up front, I worried too much about what everyone behind me was doing or if I was doing something wrong and they were watching me...it only added to my nervousness. Being in the back allows the newer rider to go at his/her own pace and as Gunny said, leaders adjust their speed to allow that last rider to keep up and not feel pressured to race to keep up...

It's all about seat time and allowing newer riders to go at their own pace, taking them on roads they feel comfy on and holding off on the harder rides 'til they're far more experienced...

great info Wag, I was thinking along the same lines...

My thought is that, I am not a canyon carver by any means and if there are noobs on the ride I would take the caboose position and put the riders in order of skill.

Then lay down rules on passing, high speed blasts, and tricks.

I think it all depends on the group and the ride you are going on.

Also one good part of a club is having a people in position to keep the group in line and monitor the ride.

But the downside it that you can only hold someones hand so much and if they are going to out ride their skill then they control that.

From my personal experience, when traveling known roads by everyone in the pack its best to place the newbies up front.  The last thing I want is for the new rider sliding up under my rear causing a domino effect. Or trying to ride past his level of riding trying to keep up.
Do I alway practice this, no, but I should from a recent experience.  
SHOCKED.gif

Most experienced riders up front, but also have at least one experienced rider in the very back bringing up the rear.

I skimmed the rather long narrative, and here are my opinions:

1.  Pre-ride lecture.

Great idea to do to get everyone on same page about the route travelled, postioning ect.  Also riders should express concerns, speed, skills etc.

2.  Positioning.

I prefer having the less experienced or more tentative riders up front.  I am happy just tooling along with other riders so put them out front and I'll follow along in the twisties, within reason.  Riders must remember that it is an individual decision to RIDE WITHIN YOUR OWN LIMITS.  If there is a need to pass a slower rider, do so in a safe manner, and proceed to the next check point.  The passed rider needs to understand that they're ok, and don't have to keep up in the twisites.

The catch-22 to this is IF the new rider goes down, he's got a whole lot of people behind him trying to get out of the way or stop.  But then again, these are more experienced riders, who should be giving assured clear distance and be able to handle the situations.

3.  Pace

This depends on whether your talking straight highways or twisites.

On highways, there needs to be an understanding in the group (discussed before hand) of an acceptable average speed.  If anyone in the group want's to stretch their legs, on the open road, it's fine with me.  Just don't go blasting past me in my lane, use your own.  Unless I've been riding with you a long time, I don't ride side by side.  Generally side by side is a big no no however.

4.  Twisting and Turning

Setting pace in the twisties.  If there is a large disparity in skills between the pack, then I'd put the slower riders in back so the advanced riders can have 'more fun'.  But the advanced riders should keep an eye in the mirror to make sure everyone is still back there somewhere...and on occasion, should slow up on a safe section of road to make sure it's all good.

5.  I don't have a preference of mixing bike types.  To each his own.  But you must take into consideration rider skills and bike abilities when choosing some routes and speeds.

6.  Recap.  It's always good to talk at the end of a ride.  It's good to know that everyone thinks you're crazy for doing this that or the other.  That way you can adjust and not tick anyone off.

I'd also like to mention group sizes make a big difference.  Riding with 2 bikes is different than 3-4 and so on.

From my personal experience, when traveling known roads by everyone in the pack its best to place the newbies up front.  The last thing I want is for the new rider sliding up under my rear causing a domino effect. Or trying to ride past his level of riding trying to keep up.
SHOCKED.gif
[/Quote] -no comment.
iamwithstupid.gif

Cheers!

We always pick up new guys while riding (out in the dirt, same principles) and we take turns riding "sweep" to keep an eye on the new guy. But generally it goes from fastest to slowest then the sweep rider.

(thebbbusa @ Nov. 27 2006,12:54) I skimmed the rather long narrative, and here are my opinions:

1.  Pre-ride lecture.

Great idea to do to get everyone on same page about the route travelled, postioning ect.  Also riders should express concerns, speed, skills etc.

2.  Positioning.

I prefer having the less experienced or more tentative riders up front.  I am happy just tooling along with other riders so put them out front and I'll follow along in the twisties, within reason.  Riders must remember that it is an individual decision to RIDE WITHIN YOUR OWN LIMITS.  If there is a need to pass a slower rider, do so in a safe manner, and proceed to the next check point.  The passed rider needs to understand that they're ok, and don't have to keep up in the twisites.

The catch-22 to this is IF the new rider goes down, he's got a whole lot of people behind him trying to get out of the way or stop.  But then again, these are more experienced riders, who should be giving assured clear distance and be able to handle the situations.

3.  Pace

This depends on whether your talking straight highways or twisites.

On highways, there needs to be an understanding in the group (discussed before hand) of an acceptable average speed.  If anyone in the group want's to stretch their legs, on the open road, it's fine with me.  Just don't go blasting past me in my lane, use your own.  Unless I've been riding with you a long time, I don't ride side by side.  Generally side by side is a big no no however.

4.  Twisting and Turning

Setting pace in the twisties.  If there is a large disparity in skills between the pack, then I'd put the slower riders in back so the advanced riders can have 'more fun'.  But the advanced riders should keep an eye in the mirror to make sure everyone is still back there somewhere...and on occasion, should slow up on a safe section of road to make sure it's all good.

5.  I don't have a preference of mixing bike types.  To each his own.  But you must take into consideration rider skills and bike abilities when choosing some routes and speeds.

6.  Recap.  It's always good to talk at the end of a ride.  It's good to know that everyone thinks you're crazy for doing this that or the other.  That way you can adjust and not tick anyone off.

I'd also like to mention group sizes make a big difference.  Riding with 2 bikes is different than 3-4 and so on.

SHOCKED.gif
  -no comment.  
iamwithstupid.gif

Cheers![/Quote]
+2
super.gif

The other thing that should be discussed is how to handle LEOs.

Basically I feel if the group is spread out during a 'spirited' run, then who ever gets busted is on his own, I ain't stopping for YOUR ticket. Now if I am in a pack that gets busted everyone in the pack should stop.

If I am busted all by myself, I'll stop, and I don't expect you to if you weren't 'caught'. The group should meet up afterwards, however, at least two exits away.

I think there was a 'riding rules' thread in Random Thoughts a couple months ago. It was very good too, but I can't find it.

Very good post. I am going thru this as we speak with my son. He is just starting with street riding. I have been leading and following at different times just watching him and how he reacts to different things. Also I have stopped at different times to "coach" him on things I see that he needs to do differently. One thing I have noticed with myself is after a little while I start to get comfortable and the speed starts to go up. I think this is probably just natural for most of us but could get a newbie into trouble. To his credit he does not try to ride my pace but alot of people would and that could get dangerous.
Thanks guys I WILL use some of your points on our next ride.

Wag, excellent post. A few friends and I taught Dan, posted in my pics from Mount Lemmon w/ Copperone, how to ride. This kid listened to us talk about our rides etc, went and bought a new R6 and asked us to teach him. As with other newb riders we've helped, we put dan in the middle. Alternating which of us led, and which watched his body position etc. We'd stop immediately in the event there was something major, like Da Kid ran wide on right turn crossing the DY, we stopped and offered constructive critisism and proceeded to ride, eventually stopping again for more of the same. Each stop there was less to worry about and on the way back, Kid was tracking with the technique very well.
I disagree on twisties are no place for a newb. First place we took Da Kid was a nice twistie road we know well. This allowed us to evaluate his body position, start / stop technique (all too often overlooked when teaching newbs) cover the braking in corners etc.. As a testimate to this technique, Danny aka Copperone can tell you Da Kid is a pretty darn good rider for only being on the street for about 60days now....he took Mount Lemmon at the groups pace, or slightly less, and yes, we preach riding to YOUR ability no one elses.
We cover the pre-ride also.
I dont like the left lane (on 2+ lane roads) as a norm for the lane choice. I believe the left lane is the passing lane, and although I am on the Worlds Fastest Production Motorcycle, when on public roadways with others I may not be the fastest. When I am in the cage and cruisers suck up the left lane so they can reduce lane changes it pisses me off. If riders want more recognition from cagers abide by the same rules, stay right except to pass. Seen many a groups ride like that and personally I think they get more respect and less LEO hassle than the left primary lane riders.
Otherwise excellent topic.

Charlie

Good read, I read it all;)

I would have to agree with most if not all of it. I have been on only one group ride and I was the newbest out of all of them. Every good point you mentioned they did, including stopping every once in a while to wait for my n00by butt.

I do have to say that was on my 55HP POWERHOUSE Vstar cruiser though. No way they would be waiting for me on this thing. Especially since they are all HD riders:)

I know what you mean though about riding beyond your capability. I found myself REALLY pushing to corner, lean, and drag pegs as much as they were. I am alive still so I must not have done too bad. There were some moments though...

They always had someone riding in back of me to make sure I was ok.

Great post, thanks for posting that!

firedevil.gif

Excellent post & topic. Well worth the reading. Nice link too for rules and signals!
beerchug.gif

First of all, great post. You make some very good points, and I agree with most of them. However, I agree with Charlie (CAT3). One of the best places to learn balance is on the twisties. But.... this cannot be over stressed, new riders must some how understand that they must ride at their own pace just like we all understand. They need to know that its OK not to be as fast as everyone else. Speed, cornering and handling will come with patience and a lot of practice. Putting an experienced rider both in front and behind a new rider is a great idea because the experienced riders can observe and critque the new rider. We all ride our own ride. Some like to twisties and some don't. Some like to go real fast and some don't. But which ever group the new rider is participating in, we must accept him as being new and try and help him or her how ever we can. New riders must set reasonable expectations for themselves and if we see them outside their reasonable limits, we need to let them know. If a new rider wants to be a good safe rider he or she will want to her what we have to say. By the way I rode behind Da Kid most of yesterday, and he is doing great. Thanks again for a very thought provoking, stimulating post.

My advice to everyone, don't stop within sight of a traffic stop. 1) you'll probably get the same ticket, and 2) If the LEO gets to much company he might get rude and ask everyone to pull down the road aways or face arrest for interferring. It's a safety issue that could cost a life.

Back