Which way would you go with sprockets?

BowDown

Registered
I need to replace my chain, and figured now would be the time to swap sprockets too. I don't want to change much from stock gearing. It's already got a ton of power, but I figure 1 tooth would be good.

17/70 = 2.35 (stock 99-07)

Options I'm looking at:

18/43 = 2.39 (stock 08)
17/41 = 2.41
16/38 = 2.38

Which way would you go and why?

I was really leaning towards the 18/43 option for chain life, but finding a 18t front sprocket seems near impossible?

Is 16/38 going to cause me chain issues?

Either way I'm going to replace both sprockets so the 17/41 doesn't bother me much either..

Opinions and reasoning please..
cool.gif

easybutton.png

think you fat fingered 17/70 = 2.35 (stock 99-07)
smile.gif

I went 17/41, noticed a bit of difference (I think)

what are you trying to achieve?

Haha. Ya, a 17/70 would be like a stunt bike. ;)

I'm just looking for a slight improvement on the low end, without creating a wheelie machine, or lowering my gas mileage much lower than my already low 33mpg.

Figure now is the time because my chain is pretty well worn. (6300 miles without a clean and lube will do that). Opps.
argue.gif

well full throttle through the shift point is pretty hard to do with even the 41 without some antics to keep the bike down.. (most of that happened with the new pipe.. guessing the weight was a big issue)

I have yet to full throttle my bike. Haha. Well through the gears anyway. I have been in 4th and jammed it wide open for a little sprint.

I only weigh like 150lbs suited up. So I would imagine even with the 17/40 I will get some air wide open.
beerchug.gif

try 17/42
+1

Had that on my '05 and loved it. The larger rear sprocket also pulls the rear wheel in a tad, effectively shortening the wheelbase and quickening the steering a tad. I'm going 18/42 on my '04 to keep close to the stock gearing and get that same effect on wheelbase. Schnitz Motorsports normally has the 18T in stock, BTW.

EDIT: I just checked with Schnitz and they're currently out of it.

I fail to see how it would effect the wheelbase.. unless you aren't replacing the chain. Then you would have to pull the wheel more forward to make up for the larger chain sprocket. My wheelbase will stay the same.

I fail to see how it would effect the wheelbase.. unless you aren't replacing the chain. Then you would have to pull the wheel more forward to make up for the larger chain sprocket. My wheelbase will stay the same.
none of those combos require a chain change...(112 link is fine)

Chris went a 16/43 on his big bore... gotta be a handful in first-third
laugh.gif

It's slight...about 7/16", but the chain going around the slighter larger rear sprocket "pulls" the rear wheel forward, so that the final adjustment leaves the wheel slighter forward of where it was with the 40 tooth gear. That is, of course, staying with a 112 pin (56 link) chain which is stock length.

I had 17/43 and liked it. It was very 'peppy'. However, I wanted more fuel economy so I switched to 18/40. I like that combo. I don't need to wheelie and the 18 brings the RPMs down a bit to make cruising more economical. I live in KS - so most of my riding (when I do ride) is cruising anyway...

none of those combos require a chain change...(112 link is fine)

Chris went a 16/43 on his big bore... gotta be a handful in first-third
laugh.gif
banghead.gif
 actually I just counted and I'm 15/43....YES 15
ohsnap1.gif

so I guess I'm gonna have to go 16/46 or I'm gonna be very dissapointed. I got very use to this torque.

i went 17 42 a little more umph to make up for my weight but still good for highways. Really not that noticable in the seat. She still pulls like there is no tomorrow.

With those choices, stay away from the 16/38. I ran a 18/44 at Eureka Springs this past weekend and was very happy with how it worked on my bike.

Back